Does this battery box exist in the U.S.

Photobug

I discovered this in my search for power designs.

https://www.australiandirect.com.au/Battery-Systems/Battery-Chargers/KABB-G-DC

While expensive it looks pretty well laid out and a great portable solution. My current setup has some of these components just not the DC-DC MPPT charger. I have both a camping truck and sailboat that needs a power solution. Does something like this exist in the US? Or does someone have a DIY plan for something like this? My current setup has some of these components just not the DC-DC MPPT charger. I would like to build a solution that includes that.

Photobug

Just add a MPPT controller, how much amps you need for solar? I used a Genasun MPPT controller because it was tiny and easy to fit in my battery box

Is there a build of a more robust version of this box? Right now I have a series 24 battery in both locations I would like to use this, and would like to keep them in location.

If I could build a battery power unit that would have an MPPT controller, pure sine inverter, USB, cigarette outlets, Anderson Plugs but contain a smaller AGM battery. I could transport this smaller, lighter unit between my boat and truck. Any builds like this around?

dreadlocks

these are easy to DIY if you take your time, I made one out of a milk crate and someone on here just posted one up he shoved in a Pelican case..

Bonus is you know how it works and its repairable, you can replace failed components like batteries, chargers, inverters, etc without trashing the whole thing.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, DIY not just cheaper but much better result,

define your needs and get all the help you need here to spec out the BOM,

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
these are easy to DIY if you take your time, I made one out of a milk crate and someone on here just posted one up he shoved in a Pelican case..

Bonus is you know how it works and its repairable, you can replace failed components like batteries, chargers, inverters, etc without trashing the whole thing.

I'm planning on building something similar but will likely use a steel ammo can (20mm, 30mm or 40mm) instead of a milk crate. That will make it heavier, for sure, but also a bit more robust.

Photobug

Yes, DIY not just cheaper but much better result,

define your needs and get all the help you need here to spec out the BOM,

Thanks what is a BOM?

Ya there was no way I was going to pay $600+ dollars for a battery box. The less expensive ones would work as a starter if they had a better reputation. There is enough reviews complaining about stripped posts and other structural concerns. Also wiring in kind of my thing. I have wired my own house and a few sailboats.

So my wants
I will look for the Pelican case build. I have seen some of these on a RC Hobby site. I saw one in person that was silly well built. The guy had a 3D printer and spent a lot of effort to make an amazing charging station.

john61ct

Adventurer
Provide a portable power management system for both boat and truck
vague but OK

Each specialized component is worth its own thread, give the narrowing parameters you know, link back to here for context.

A small battery that can provide portable power for maybe lights on and a speaker at a picnic table.

ditto, define specific energy budget, Ah per day, how many days' buffer without inputs

what chemistry?

you need true deep cycling, not cheap, unless you don't mind replacing every couple hundred cycles

Easily transportable

depends on the batt mostly

with enough room for a meter, a 2 USB outlets and 2 cigarette plug outlets.

leave those in this thread

john61ct

Adventurer
a meter, a 2 USB outlets and 2 cigarette plug outlets.
Standard ciggie ports are the worst, awful design, dangerous.

Maybe a Blue Sea twistloc version, but really just mount 45A Anderson PowerPoles and make adapters for other connector types.

For USB look for v3.1 Type-C PD, only QCC if you need it. Qi wireless pad on the top?

At least 4 IMO, but can also have an extension to an X-port unit run off an APP port instead.

What sort of meter, full fledged SoC BM or just a volts readout?

john61ct

Adventurer

Photobug

I had to go back and find this to share only because it was so crazy over the top. I tend to go overboard on my designs and builds but this..... I'll let the photo speak for itself. The guy 3D printed almost every part of this build, including the legs to elevate it and the antenna stack.

Attachments

• 20170212_140757_sm.jpg
    20170212_140757_sm.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 55

shade

I had to go back and find this to share only because it was so crazy over the top. I tend to go overboard on my designs and builds but this..... I'll let the photo speak for itself. The guy 3D printed almost every part of this build, including the legs to elevate it and the antenna stack.
Cool.

I like how he worked a heat pipe in behind the flux capacitor.

Photobug

Standard ciggie ports are the worst, awful design, dangerous.

Maybe a Blue Sea twistloc version, but really just mount 45A Anderson PowerPoles and make adapters for other connector types.

For USB look for v3.1 Type-C PD, only QCC if you need it. Qi wireless pad on the top?

At least 4 IMO, but can also have an extension to an X-port unit run off an APP port instead.

What sort of meter, full fledged SoC BM or just a volts readout?

I am planning on keeping this BOM simple and rely on the outlets in my truck and boat. I will have 3-5 outlets in each vehicle, so I can afford one failure but most of my components will be marine grade, I have a lot of parts left over from working on boats.

I will have to follow your links to check out the other projects.

I think my box will either be an ammo box or pelican box. I'll add:

2 cig. outlets,
4 USB outlets
inverter
MPPT charger.
Small battery
Fan if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3