DRAM 3, Dirt Roads Across Maine. The Legend Continues.

R Stowe

Observer
As a relatively new member I must say this thread has me enthralled. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

andysgreenxj

Observer
:ylsmoke: Great trip report! Would really love to do the same trip in the late spring, maybe early summer...any thoughts?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I wouldn't attempt a trip like this any time during the spring season due to mud and the high potential to damage some of the lighter used road systems. Early Summer is always a good time to start exploring Maine as the bugs are usually down and the roads dry up by Memorial day.

SG

marathonracer

Adventurer
Not to mention most of the logging companies will close their gates in the springtime to prevent such damage. Not all of them do but for example the studmill road traversed in this trip is closed by multiple gates and all arterial roads as well.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I hadn't been aware of the spring time closures on the Stud Mill. After a little investigation it seems there is no set dates and no set duration. When the logging company feels it's time to shut it down they close the gates....same with opening it back up. If in doubt, it appears that the Maine Warden Service is aware of the closures when they occur so interested parties can likely call up there to learn about closures across the state.

As I said....spring adventuring is best avoided anyway.

SG

marathonracer

Adventurer
Yeah most road closures are pretty fluid based solely on the weather and actual road conditions rather than actual dates. Most people are respectful of private land and soft roads, as I assume the gentlemen asking about doing the trip in spring/ summer is,but as we all know it only takes one guy. Spence is correct usually the best information as to road closures or wash outs etc will most likely come from the local Game Warden.

SG- my work truck is a black gmc if that gives you any insight ;)

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Thanks guys. The DRAM adventure has really been educational and fun to plan and implement over the last number of years and I look forward to leading new groups thru the route in the years ahead. One of the many special things about Maine is that the weather and terrain can never be taken for granted, and if you think you've "done that" before, just try and do it again and see whether the experience is the same. DRAM 3 was completely different than DRAM 2, and DRAM 4 will be completely different than DRAM 3. It is all about experiencing the adventure with like minded enthusiasts, all while allowing the journey to push each participant in ways they want to be pushed.

Have a great New Year folks. May 2016 bring smooth roads, great people and life altering experiences to all.

SG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk