Drawer/storage system build material?

Bad Karma

Adventurer
Been spending far too much time on this forum (not bad, i know) and now have a billion projects in mind for my Scrambler.

Want to build a Drawer/storage/sleeping platform in the back of the Jeep.
The majority of those built on the "Post up your drawer/storage system" thread are made out of plywood.

Whats everyone's thoughts on other types of building materials?
composite plywood
plastics
aluminum
steal
unobtainium
others?

Is plywood the main choice because of cost? what about weight? strength? etc etc etc...

thoughts?

5Runner

Adventurer
My first one in my 4runner was made from plywood, for price and ease of working with wood. The next one I am now planning for my LC will have a steel frame with wood panels. After the kinks are worked out, some panels will be replaced with steel.

FJLED

Adventurer
I looked at composites, plywood composites, aluminum, and various types of sandwiched cores as well.

I ended up going with baltic birch ply due to ease of fabrication, procurement, and cost. I could of ended up with a drawer system that was maybe 50-70lbs lighter by going with other materials, but the tradeoffs to obtain and use the materials outweighed the beneifts in my case.

IMO a sandwiched core setup would be the way to go in many portions of a drawer system design.

kishzilla

Been spending far too much time on this forum (not bad, i know) and now have a billion projects in mind for my Scrambler.

Want to build a Drawer/storage/sleeping platform in the back of the Jeep.
The majority of those built on the "Post up your drawer/storage system" thread are made out of plywood.

Whats everyone's thoughts on other types of building materials?
composite plywood
plastics
aluminum
steal
unobtainium
others?

Is plywood the main choice because of cost? what about weight? strength? etc etc etc...

thoughts?

As far as all around pros and cons, plywood, and dimensional lumber (a 2x4 is dimensional lumber) fit the bill for most applications. I'm sure there are a myriad of other materials that would be better in different ways, but wood is readily available, cheap, and easy to work with. Most people don't know how to weld, create fiberglass molds etc., or even know where to get some of those other materials, where as a lot more people have access to a Home Depot or a lumber yard, and are familiar with saws, drills etc.

Tip when using dimensional lumber:

Always try to get kiln dried lumber since it has had all of the moisture baked out of it. This is best for a couple reasons. First, it won't warp and crack after you've constructed your platform like the regular stuff. Second, it weighs considerably less than the regular stuff (maybe even half as much). For me, these are important and worth the extra dough. (Kiln dried lumber costs about 1/3 more)

If money/time were no object, I would build the box from thick gauge, welded aluminum square tubing, with a carbon fiber skin, heavy duty locking ball bearing guides for the drawers ( which would be made from the same materials as the box) and recessed keyed latches.

But since I have nether the time, money, or skills to create a set up like that, I went with a saturday, $100 in wood, screws, hardware and glue, and instead of drawer guides, I just lined the bottom of the drawer and the bottom of the box with masonite (smooth sides facing eachother) and they slide just fine. the whole thing is heavier than the other way, and not as sexy, but does everything I need it to do, and should be plenty durable.

Just some food for thought...

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Bk!!!!

Bad Karma...We are in a similar boat...I'm just thinking of what and how to do some kind of slide/storage thing in my "8" as well. The issue we have that many here don't is extrememly limited space. Those w/TJs/LJs/YJs..etc are in a similar boat. TO that ends I am wondering how much effort would be involved in making them out of sheet metal. That seems at least to save some weight and the saved space just from the woods thickness may be helpfull too? The other thing is that most us jeepers are used to burning/working metal...and while I don't have a shop and metal brake etc...I do have my mighty Mig and Plasma cutter!:wings: Not to mention the three levels of BFHs and tiny pockets!
Curious as to what your ideas are and how they would compare to mine?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I also make mine using cheap plywood (whereas my buddy used high end 7 layer baltic birch plywood), brown indoor/outdoor carpeting to match my interior, & 3" ID schedule 40 PVC tubes with turn buckles inside them to mount the entire setup in my rig.

I also took cheapness a step further and didn't even make drawers. Instead I invested $35 in 6 Target plastic tubs (2 long, 4 short) that fit into the storage area perfectly. The beauty is, you can take the tubs out in camp and leave them there while you're wheeling. To minimize dust intrusion I applied weather stripping on the lids of the tubs. I've only broken 1 tub thus far after numerous 4x4 trips so I'm quite happy with the setup.:smiley_drive:
2635157300104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Image Notes:
(A) Hinged to fold the platform out to use as bed or back to allow use of 2nd row seats.
(B) 5/16" dia metal handles (3x6" u bolts essentially) used as strap points for my ARB Freezer Fridge.
(C) The platform itself is 1/2" plywood that's cut to 73"x53". This is easily large enough for 2 to sleep on. If you're overweight, it may be crowded.:sombrero:
(D) This is the 1x2 hardwood cross bracing at front and rear edge of the rear half of the platform.
(E) 2x4 sections to support the sides of the platform which are mounted to the original mounting points for the 3rd row seats.
(F) One of 4 8x1/4" carriage bolts
(G) Here are the 6 Rubbermaid tubs I elected to use. Dimensions are 16.7x13.3x5.3" (x4) and 29x18x6 (x2). I also added 1/2x3/8" door seal gasket foam to the perimeter of the covers to better seal the tubs.
(H) One of 4 turnbuckles
(I) Here's the 3" ID PVC pipe cut to size and placed at each of the turnbuckle mount points.
(J) The 'J' bolt used to attach to the original strap points in the floor.

Bad Karma

Adventurer
Bad Karma...We are in a similar boat...I'm just thinking of what and how to do some kind of slide/storage thing in my "8" as well. The issue we have that many here don't is extrememly limited space. Those w/TJs/LJs/YJs..etc are in a similar boat. TO that ends I am wondering how much effort would be involved in making them out of sheet metal. That seems at least to save some weight and the saved space just from the woods thickness may be helpfull too? The other thing is that most us jeepers are used to burning/working metal...and while I don't have a shop and metal brake etc...I do have my mighty Mig and Plasma cutter!:wings: Not to mention the three levels of BFHs and tiny pockets!
Curious as to what your ideas are and how they would compare to mine?

still up in the air on what to build the drawer out of. probably sheet metal, bent, dimple died for strength, lightness and coolness. ;)
gonna go with 400lb sliders that lock when closed and fully open.
its gonna be level with the top of the wheel wells and right to the back seat.
besides that I dont know what else. been busy toying with other crap. still have to put the Jeep back together!! (its stripped, frame up build right now)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Like it...

Sounds like a good idea. Do you already have a dimple/die set? I'm wondering about one of these myself and want to look into getting one if I can afford it.
Also need to figure something to use for a sheet metal break.?.

Bad Karma

Adventurer
not yet. there are a bunch that are cheapish on pirate4x4. think they will be fine for my plans (home builder not production)

I have access to a sheet metal "factory" with all the fancy sheet metal tooling. breaks, shears, and a BIG ***** pile of scrap sheet metal that has lots of LARGE useable pieces... :D

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Envy...

Oh how I envy you...! Metal has gotten so expensive that I have to save up to buy enough for even a moderate sized project...Thanks China! Do you have any links to the D/D on pirate? I usually avoid there due to all the 'tudes that prevail...but I will go for research from time to time.

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
The dimple died sheet steel sounds interesting!
I have been leaning towards aluminum, but the cost and fact that I want to do it only once and do it right because of the cost have been making me stall.

Any examples out there of thin sheet steel dimple died drawers? d cubed!

On a side topic. I am looking at making my drawer box about 39" wide by about 40" long. Two equal width drawers.
If I do 36" full length slides rated at 200lbs I would be able to get to all but the last 4 inches of the drawer which should be okay.
Any tips from the metal workers out there about building drawers out of aluminum. Thickness ideas? Mounting slides ideas?
(it will be a two drawer set-up about 12" high.)

I am planning on tig'ing the pieces together. Say, weld three inches then a space of 8 inches and so on and so forth.

Hawkeye

Observer
Imo, different materials are best for differnt applications. I.E. Steal has great stragth, but is heavy and makes a lot of noice. Alu. Is light weight and strong in lots of ways but it is very exspencive, rattles and has a lot vibration. Wood is very strong for some applications, but it has a nice sound/vibration dappening quality, wood is also flexible. I use a combination of these materials for my drawer systems. you can see some examples www.warfieldoffroad.com

Feel free to email me and ask any questions. I would like to help, I can send you to good supplyers, and suggest ideas for your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven