Dream Boat

dblosch

Adventurer
Yesterday Mary and I hauled home a new-to-me (1991, MINT condition) Mad River Canoe Malecite in Kevlar... 16'6" 47 pounds. I'm really excited about it.

On%u00252520Top.JPG

Topside.JPG

Hull.JPG

Rear.jpg

A little back story- We bought it from a 75 year-old gentleman in North Carolina. He purchased it new, on September 28, 1991 (he included his receipt and the original '91 brochure, too). It was to be his fourth, and last canoe. His four children were grown and gone, and so he decided he and his wife could maintain a nicer boat...

They used it "a handful" of times in '91-'92, and then it hung in their garage for ten years. His oldest son borrowed it once around 2003, and it went back up in the garage. It has come back down three times since then ...to oil the gunwales... and then it was hung BACK up in the garage.

When I got it home, I wiped it down and took those pictures. There was almost no effort put in to make it shine like it does. In a past life I was a collegiate rower, and raced some very $$$ boats... But I don't think I've seen a hull this beautiful.

I almost feel bad using it. This thing is worthy of a museum, but it belongs on the water!

Dan

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I almost feel bad using it...but it belongs on the water!

That is a nice boat and yes its begging to get used. I might not run a Class II or III with it for fear of banging it up, but I'd be puddle jumping and big river paddling the heck out of that thing. Nice find and kudos for rescuing it. post up some pics when you get 'er wet!

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks Haggis!

Oh ya, we have a pair of old sit-on-tops for banging and scraping our way down the 'hooch. Mary's dad has an adventure 14 canoe (poly) that we can use, too. This is going to be for that big, flat water. I can't wait! It's hard to tell in the picture, but it has the optional center seat, too... I've got quiet, solo afternoons on the water dancing through my head. Alas, I'm stuck in the office until April 15.

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks Squatchout!

Well, since yesterday was something called "Bachelorfinaleday," I got to put a coat of wax on the Malecite. She REALLY shines now. I am still impressed with her condition, and I have to continually remind myself she's 22 years old. Hopefully she paddles better than my '89 Jeep drives. :sombrero:

I put on new bow and stern loops. Can't decide if I want to open up the loops a bit, or leave them short and trim the tags ends.

photo%u002525202%2520%25283%2529.JPG

photo%u002525203%2520%25283%2529.JPG

I also sent an email to MRC to with the serial number to see what they could tell me about it. Here is the picture from the Craigslist ad, since my garage is so full of junk at the moment...

Malecite.jpg

Dan

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks for passing those along Squatchout. I've really scoured the web for info. While there seems to be a lot of positive talk about the Malecite, the isn't much out there that's in depth. I can't being to count the number of times I've watched that YouTube video...

It's interesting to me that the older Kevlar Malecites weight in about the same as the new ultralight. The newer "expedition" version comes in in the 50's. Makes me wonder what changes were implemented.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Beautiful canoe.

I would love to have one like yours.
It would match my hauler too.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 26

wild1

Adventurer
Nice boat,I have a Mad River 18 foot TW special and a 16 foot solo Traveler that I bought back in the early 80's. They are great boats and have stood up well over the years but they are not quite as pretty as yours! You might try a simple rowing setup on your boat,I built a set of outboard oarlocks for my Traveler that go on or off in minutes and it's a ball to row if the conditions are right. Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach