Dual battery compatibility?

RACKMAN

Observer
Just a quick question for some of you 12 volt gurus...I'm getting ready to do a dual battery system in my Jeep LJ. I already have a high quality AGM Group 34 under the hood and I'm shopping for the auxiliary battery. I was considering the Optima Blue Top Marine Dual Purpose Starting/Deep Cycle group 34, but then I noticed that the Optima Blue Top Marine Dual Purpose group 27 has higher ratings in terms of AH and RC than the group 34...so is there a problem mixing a group 34 and group 27? The different size of the aux battery is not a problem as it is being mounted in the rear of the Jeep. Thanks.

228B

Observer
As long as you're not connecting these two batteries together, permanently, in a parallel- or series- configuration, you'll be fine. Obviously, you're looking for the highest amp-hour capacity rating you can physically fit into the mounting space. That's all Group sizes are, mostly; it's for organizing battery sizes for application fitments (or something to that effect). The bigger the battery, usually, the higher capacity (if battery type and manufacturer remain the same).

CaliMobber

Adventurer
No problems in charging times, they will each take the power they need.

Just make sure they are no perm connected, use an auto disconnect when the car turns off so one battery doest suck down the other battery since they are not the same kinda of battery. one battery volts may sit a little lower or high then the other especially since ones used and the other will be brand new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat