Dual battery tray for TJ/LJ

RACKMAN

Observer
Anyone here try the Rugged Ridge dual battery tray in their TJ/LJ? Comments or suggestions on that tray or alternatives would be great. Thanks.

RACKMAN

Observer
The one from Kodiak industries is great and uses the Odyssey batteries.
http://www.kodiakinc.com/powersystems/dualbatterykits.html
Yes, thank you. But I would be limited to using the smaller Odyssey batteries with that tray...no? Would rather have the option of using regular size batteries...not sure I want to use the Odyssey batteries. It just seems that there are less choices these days for dual battery trays...as far as I know, MeanGreen doesn't make their dual tray anymore. Only options I've found so far are the Rugged Ridge and one made by Sh$ttybuilt and of course the one made by Kodiak. Just wondering if I missed some other ones that are out there?

Last edited:

ih8philly

Adventurer
Oh that's great, I could not find that on their website for some reason...I thought they weren't making them anymore. I think I will likely go this route. Are you completely happy with the tray? Any issues...I will need to re-route A/C right?

I have this dual battery setup. I didnt do the installation so I cant speak to that. But I havent had any problems with it. Its been in there for several years now and its worked very well and the finish has held up nicely.

Krytos

Adventurer
For the people using Odyssey batteries vs something like an Optima for their Dual Battery setups, are you running smaller batteries? I just recently replaced by battery with a Group 34 Die Hard Platinum (Made by Odyssey), am I SOL if I want to run both batts side by side, or at least close together?

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
When i bought my 05 LJ, I called Kilby and asked if their dual batt tray would work with Odyssey, as the Odyssey and the Optima are both group 34. Their answer was "probably not". Since i like the Odyssey so much (but now have the sears Platnum), i put 1 in the standard bracket/location. I do have a "dual battery" set up when i take my adventure trailer since is has an Osyssey pc2250 in it connected to the Tow vehicle with #1 gage cables via an Anerson connector, 200 amp fuses, and a solenoid. I have a manual solenoid in the Jeep and an automatic solenoid in the Sequoia.
The biggest issue with the TJ/LJ is the ac line next to the battery. Kilby has a nice replacement that moves the line out of the way.

Krytos

Adventurer
Is there an issue with running a dual battery setup where the batteries aren't side by side or at least close together?

MStudt

Adventurer
Is there an issue with running a dual battery setup where the batteries aren't side by side or at least close together?

There is no issue. I've had a dual battery set-up with one under the hood and the other behind the passengers seat. You're just going to pay more for wiring since they are not together.

Shawn

I just finished installing the dual battery tray from Smittybilt. Absolutely horrible! It's a good thing I can fabricate. I bought it to save some time but didn't save much. The mounting tabs and hold downs on the bottom tray were reversed so I had to cut them all off and flip them. The middle tray was OK as far as fit but far from perfect. On the top hold down the holes didn't line up at all and it was missing some hardware and had extra that didn't go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat