Dual swing out tire carrier for TJ/LJ

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Looking to upgrade my rear tire carrier. Can't seem to find what I need for my LJ so I may have to go custom made. Does anyone know who makes something like this?
tirecarrier.jpg

These are my requirements:

- Side mounted tire carrier
- Side mounted basket
- Attaches to frame (not the cross member)
- 2" receiver hitch capable of pulling a 1/4 ton trailer (m416 type)
- Dual swing gates with this type of lock

de-sta-co_horizontal_latch.jpg

Something like this but for a Jeep LJ
rack4.jpg

Thank you for any info you can give me

TFRI

Observer
:iagree:

:drool: This would be great!!! I'm in the market for the same... subscribed. :coffee:

Nikson

Explorer
I could, but haven't made one yet...

don't really see how that would be useful considering the way Wrangler's rear door opens.

I understand the fact that it "each to his own liking", but still, got to "reason" your thought if you know what I mean.

Are you worried about overall weight on a single axle pin? or...?

I decided that swing out similar to AEV's (but with integrated winch mount) with my tire carrier would be good, so far I cant complain.....

015.CR2.jpg

some more pics here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/budnixon/20110612PacificCityDrive

squint

Adventurer
There are not any on the market (for TJs). I have been planning on doing something similar. The big difference is that mine will completely cover my rear tail lights and the lights will be moved so that the basket is lower. I am going to divide it into two projects. First, a basket to hold 2 10L jerry cans which will bolt to the left side and will not swing away, however, it will not block the rear door and the second would be to move the pivot point outward (right) with the tire, leaving room for another basket to the left of the tire.
Here is a drawing of phase 1. I am not sure if I will ever get time to do this since I have several projects lined up in front of this one:
Twocansonrearofjeepwithbasket-relectorsmovedandlicenseplatemoved1.jpg

Last edited:

U-turn

U-Turn
Not to be a butt-head here, but why make two seperate swing away arms? Why not offset the tire and put the basket on the same swinging arm? Wouldn't that save a tone of engineering and simplify the whole project? Save weight too? There are pivot pionts on the market that can support that kind of weight. I know the duel arms would look a whole lot cooler. Just curious if there is an advantage to duel arms that I'm not seeing?

Last edited:

squint

Adventurer
Exactly. Generally, you see the dual swing away on the old land cruisers because they have ambulance doors. When you open one side, you can still access one door. With a Jeep, ideally, you would want one swing away only. Just make sure you move the tire towards the pivot point so the majority of the weight is near the hinge.

reece146

Automotive Artist
One advantage that dual swing aways can have is the ability to remove one. You don't need to be hauling around a jerry can(s) and the swing away when in daily driver mode.

Smaller swing outs require less space to open fully to the side.

Smaller ones can be easier to manage for smaller people also.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I am planning to build my own for the very same reasons. None exist as it causes the stock tail lights to be blocked by the tire and the cans/rack. I am going to move the tail lights to the bumper. I am also going to mount the swing arms to the (reinforced) tub, rather than the bumper. Both will be removable.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
One advantage that dual swing aways can have is the ability to remove one. You don't need to be hauling around a jerry can(s) and the swing away when in daily driver mode.

Bingo! this is exactly why I'm looking for a dual gate set up. I'd like the option of running just a spare in town.
Too bad nobody offers anything like this.

I've been looking at LoD tire carriers

LoD-Xpedition-01.jpg

Can anyone recommend a tire carrier or give me some feedback on the one above?:sombrero:

Nikson

Explorer
I for one still like the idea of the Jerry Cans being lower to the ground, rather then on a carrier or on the roof rack.

Center of Gravity does play a major role on trips, no matter what people say or think, its a FACT.

Thus, I prefer to put them on the rocksliders location, right behind front fender, in front of the doors...

I for one still like the idea of the Jerry Cans being lower to the ground, rather then on a carrier or on the roof rack.

Center of Gravity does play a major role on trips, no matter what people say or think, its a FACT.

Thus, I prefer to put them on the rocksliders location, right behind front fender, in front of the doors...

This! Removable can holders between the rear of the front flare and the bottom of the A pillar, on the sliders, right where it says Jeep on the side. IMHO the best option there is with Jeeps for carying extra gas. You can use any of the can holders you see at suppliers and bold them through the tub or lower down on the frame. One on each side and you're set for 40 extra liters -- or 10 more gallons, whatever you fancy :)

Nikson

Explorer
This! Removable can holders between the rear of the front flare and the bottom of the A pillar, on the sliders, right where it says Jeep on the side. IMHO the best option there is with Jeeps for carying extra gas. You can use any of the can holders you see at suppliers and bold them through the tub or lower down on the frame. One on each side and you're set for 40 extra liters -- or 10 more gallons, whatever you fancy :)

Exactly... only I'm going to mount mine on top of the rock sliders, thus no damage will be done to the tub (by screws, etc.)

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I prefer to put them on the rocksliders location, right behind front fender, in front of the doors...

I totally get that but in my case it would not work. Living in the city, I need to travel about 3 hours each way to get to the desert and our favorite camping areas. 2 hours to the mountains each way. Having them mounted behind the front fender would be a disaster if I were to get t-boned from either side. I prefer to have them mounted higher as the LoD bumper has them. I would never put them on a roof rack that is just nuts, but I do need to have cans that hold fuel away from a collision point.

Aesthetics are the last thing I usually consider but (to me) fuel cans on the side of the body just don't look very appealing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz