Dual swing out tire carrier for TJ/LJ

squint

Adventurer
Originally Posted by Nikson
"Exactly... only I'm going to mount mine on top of the rock sliders, thus no damage will be done to the tub (by screws, etc.)"

"Do you have any pics? This is a very interesting idea. "

Here is a quick mockup with a 10L. The 5 Gallon would definitely stick out farther..
Photoshopped.jpg

cragrat

I have the lod rear bumper with the jerry can set up and basket. I have been all over boulder fields and san juan mountains with it fully loaded and it doesnt rattle one bit. Couldn't be happier with it.colorado 037.jpg

Nikson

Explorer
Do you have any pics? This is a very interesting idea.

I'll have pics posted as I will update my build thread in a little while (as far as how I did it), at this point I see that you should be able to get a general idea from previous posts from other guys...

SquareLJ

Observer
I too have the LoD tire carrier. I love it so far and have had no real problems with it. The Jerry can mounts can also be removed fairly easily along with the rack. They are all bolted on and it wouldn't be too hard to remove the 2 bolts per side.
(Yes, I realize I am missing a bolt in the picture. I couldn't find the bolt during installation and found it a few days later while cleaning the garage.)
P9060210.jpg

It also has frame tie in mounts for it.

P9060204.jpg

PC300600.jpg

Phreak480

Army Guy
I've got a setup from LOD as well, although currently no basket or can holders. I do really like the tire carrier though, well built here in america and a good price too. It's nice to call a company and talk to a real person on the phone who can answer any questions and such. Had a front bumper from them too but kinda ruined it when i put my tj into a highway divider. The rear was moved to the LJ i currently have. I'd recommend them to anyone and once I get some other projects done with I'll be ordering another front bumper form them. Also had their sliders on the TJ as wel and will be buying their LJ version in the future.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback on the LoD bumpers guys. I'm pretty much sold on it. Going custom would have been nice but I also like to keep things simple and easy. Looks like a solid, well made bumper that I can add-on as needed. Made in America to boot!

CRJeepin

Observer
There are not any on the market (for TJs). I have been planning on doing something similar. The big difference is that mine will completely cover my rear tail lights and the lights will be moved so that the basket is lower. I am going to divide it into two projects. First, a basket to hold 2 10L jerry cans which will bolt to the left side and will not swing away, however, it will not block the rear door and the second would be to move the pivot point outward (right) with the tire, leaving room for another basket to the left of the tire.
Here is a drawing of phase 1. I am not sure if I will ever get time to do this since I have several projects lined up in front of this one:
Twocansonrearofjeepwithbasket-relectorsmovedandlicenseplatemoved1.jpg

What top is that? Looks pretty neat!

squint

Adventurer
Sorry, I didn't see this question earlier. I have been waylaid by health problems, a death, and some other jeep projects, but I do plan to start this up again soon. I added another strap the other day and it gave me impetus to get going again. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz