Dually tires

Photobug

Trying to simplify my tire inflation on my Born Free 22. I bought it in December and drove it home, now just getting to outfitting and prepping it. The biggest stumbling concern so far is the tires. The weird hub caps in the front and duallys in the back makes checking and filling air a pain in the butt. Even with the hub caps pulled off in the back and a 6" dual foot chuck, it is awkward to air the tires, with the caps on, impossible.

So far all the tires were close enough to correct air pressure I feel I am starting off in a good place. Still, I want to be able to check the air and fill the air as easily as possible, hopefully without having to remove the hub caps, what can I do to make maintaining my tires easier?

CaptainBuilt

Does the inside tire have a long stem that reaches to the front of the outside tire?

Look up dual tire pressure equalization systems. They're around $65 a side.

I used to be in the semi truck tire business, these are very common and easy to use to inflate both tires at once.

Photobug

Does the inside tire have a long stem that reaches to the front of the outside tire?

Look up dual tire pressure equalization systems. They're around $65 a side.

I used to be in the semi truck tire business, these are very common and easy to use to inflate both tires at once.

Sounds like an awesome system, I will look into those. I am guessing if they work in the trucking industry they must be reliable for that need.

My concern though is does a single flat turn into a dual flat?

I have read about stem extensions and alligator valve stem caps. Only one side of my van has this set up.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ve found this style of extension to work very well.
=Good

Stay away from ones like these.
698B440E-4CF1-47C4-A6D2-517636C537BC.jpeg
I had 3-4 inner dually flats when the valve stem got torn half off because of the extra strain on them. = very bad

billiebob

I have them in my shopping cart right now, I was just waiting on confirmation as to them being the right way to go.

What about alligator valve stem caps?
That much length tends to vibrate and the harmonics can fatigue the stem. I'd just stick with the dual foot chuck.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Hoses have solved my problems. Can air up anywhere and don’t need special valves.

With the Amazon extensions, read reviews carefully and spend enough to get decent ones. I had the valve fail on a straight extension, and it couldn’t be repaired... also. Bought cheap and got what I paid for.

Photobug

Hoses have solved my problems. Can air up anywhere and don’t need special valves.

With the Amazon extensions, read reviews carefully and spend enough to get decent ones. I had the valve fail on a straight extension, and it couldn’t be repaired... also. Bought cheap and got what I paid for.

I was told a braided hose is the way to go over a rigid one. Less stress on the stem. Also looks like this one has a clamp to secure the hose in place.

Photobug

I got the stem extension with the braided hose and a clamp to hold it in place. It looks like I will need to remove the outer tire from the dually to install it. I am looking for any hints on how to do this.

I have a small 4 ton bottle jack and Currently, the outer tires are up on a 2x10 to raise the back of the van to lube the steps. I have seen a method using a board to lift the inside tire off the ground to address the outer tire.

If I remove the outer tire, is there anything holding the interior tire onto the hub?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Nope.

8 lug nuts on long studs hold both wheels on. Get some 6 Ton jack stands, crack the lug nuts (loosen but not loose), jack it up with the bottle jack close to one side, put the axle stand on that side, and remove the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger