Early Bronco Expo Trailer Build

OP, how close to Smith Rocks are you? I spent a large portion of my youth in Powell Butte.

About 15 miles SE in the Alfalfa area. Been in OR my whole life, love it here! Well, except the f'ed up state government, that is... ;-D

Hope to make more progress on the trailer this weekend!

Sent from my fart smone using crapatalk

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Dang this is a cool build! Excellent work man, very clean and professional. My suburban isn't even done yet and these trailer builds have me wanting to start another project already!

Well, a very productive weekend was had, but only partially so on the trailer project. I won't post pictures of the window trim I cut & hung on the front of my house, or of the yard work, or...

Anyway, I spent a few hours on it this afternoon and finished up the rear portion of the tonneau cover. Formed up some 18ga. sheet into a rear panel with a drip rail above the tailgate. The tailgate will seal on weatherstrip right below the lip.
590B15E2-1A30-4FA6-A285-F81F55AB1798-703-000000C7CD61601A_zps9a9109b3.jpg

8A926490-D0FF-474B-ACAE-44D22BE14EDC-703-000000C7C62A7EC6_zps814d5641.jpg

1EECFE4A-53AF-4B19-A0C3-102174CED067-703-000000C7BE8DCE4A_zpsf2b002a9.jpg

The sexy chrome handle to raise the tonneau was found in the local U Pull It wrecking yard, screwed to an old handicap van with a wheelchair lift on the side. After body and paint work, the tonneau will get lift struts and draw-down latches inside the rear corners.

Time to get going on the RTT rack now!

Oldmonkeybut

Observer
Looking Good Cuz ! Burn some wire man get that thing done. Our shakedown went great this weekend. Trailer worked perfect, Tent is great......Jeep ate up a fan clutch on the way home.

Trailers%20first%20trip%20001-L.jpg

The rack is now roughed out and just sitting in what will be the down position.
byvu6ybu.jpg

The pieces of green tape represent what will be parallel links on each side that will guide the rack as it swings forward and up by 22". The forward two links will be linked side to side by a torque rod that goes across the front just in front of the tonneau hinge. It will be assisted by gas struts, and once in the raised position, the links will pin to the lower side rack rail and steady things fore/aft. Side to side stability will have to be a drop down diagonal brace.
ru8useta.jpg

Each end of the rack will get a cross bar about 16" high running across the width of the rack for hauling canoes/kayaks/etc above the folded up tent.

Only six weeks until the maiden voyage! I've already resigned myself to it likely not being painted before that trip. Hopefully I'll have my tent by then!

Sent from my fart smone using crapatalk

Demo1986

Observer
Super cool build Miguel! I love when ppl build matching trailers you their rigs. I'm in the process of building one myself too.

SteveG

Adventurer
Fantastic job. I love everything about it. The cover might be my favorite, though. Thanks for posting. Keep up the good work!

Jerry

Adventurer
Very impressive! Your talent is exceeded only by your brilliance. I am looking forward to seeing the final product. Good job!

Progress!

Spent 10 hours welding in 90 deg heat today; drank 4 bottles of water, 1 pepsi, and 3 beers. Hydration is important! Finished up the mechanical portion of the RTT rack, roughed out a front basket for the spare and two Jerry cans, and stretched the tongue by 24".
IMG_7454_zpsf8faed97.jpg

IMG_7456_zps178373b5.jpg

IMG_7455_zps06092b96.jpg

The RTT rack is pinned in the down position like this:
IMG_7457_zps748921d9.jpg

Pull the pins, raise it to the up position, and put the pins in the other set of holes, locking the front legs vertical. It's actual very stable when locked up like this - I crawled all over the top of it and think it will be fine without any diagonal bracing.
IMG_7459_zps40c28592.jpg

IMG_7458_zps8eb22562.jpg

With the tent rack raised, it is easy to open the tonneau cover and access the trailer contents from either side.
IMG_7461_zps21a269f3.jpg

IMG_7462_zps4e727ef7.jpg

Still to come are gas struts to lift the tonneau, some form of lift assist for the tent rack (struts, springs, skyhooks, whatever?), and stabilizer jacks on all four corners. After this, it'll be time for paint and wiring! I have to pull the box off again and paint the frame, then strip/coat the interior of the bed before painting the exterior. It'll probably get a few test trips on it before the final paint job in case I need to make some mods.

And now, it's beer-thirty! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner