Earth1's 86/01 4Runner

earth1

Hi! My first post here... great site. I love that there is such a variety of vehicles and interests on here.

I just bought a great one of a kind 4Runner. It's an 86 body/interior on an 01 chassis... drivetrain/suspension/all is 3rd generation. I found out this truck was built by Irbis who has done the same thing with other Toyotas. I haven't talked to him about it yet, but I imagine it was his first 4Runner conversion. Iribis sold it to another guy who finished some of the cosmetic details. I bought it from the "3rd owner" who was leaving the country and sad to let it go. Lucky me.

I plan on using it as a camping truck to explore the Colorado back country, to haul ladders and tools, occasionally tow a small trailer and possibly for a trip into Central America. It won't be a rock crawler, which is how I ended up here and not flaming others on Pirate.

The topic has raised some rather opinionated discussions on other boards and here at least once before as to why. Well, who cares? Sure, for the time it took to build you could do something else. Sure, 1st gen frames are stronger and the solid front axle was available, and the 1st gen cabin interior is smaller with less creature comforts. But, I personally love the style of the 1st gen and the removable top. It has all of the modern important mechanical developments of the 3rd gen: coil suspension, easily upgradeable e-locker and supercharger, even though the rebuilt 3.4 is plenty powerful in its stock form for my use. It drives like a 3rd gen, maybe better considering the lighter body, comfy, tight and quiet yet it looks like an old-school SUV to the untrained eye. The extras that it came with are warn bumpers, upgraded corner light/LED rear conversion, newer front seats and center console, steering wheel and gauge cluster.

My first plans are some body work and paint job to address a few small rust spots, a heavy duty rack system. Just for looks, I am going to paint the retro 2-tone interior black. I want to use it for a while to find out what it is capable of in it's "stock" form. When the new tires that it came with wear out, I'll probably upgrade to a 2-3" OME lift (not sure how much a stock 3rd gen lift will actually lift mine since it is lighter) and put on 32 or 33" AT's. My only plans as far as a build are to add an e-locker, winch, sliders and maybe some heavier skid plates, depending on how the stock plates hold up.

Here are some photos:

SC T100

Adventurer
Cool! No opinionated debate from me! Except that I love the truck. I like unique and strange trucks (part of the reason I have a T100)! :sombrero:

Cool find and looking forward to updates. :ylsmoke:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow--what a great creation. It's so strange seeing the 3rd gen parts in the interior. Really nice! The 3rd gen is a fine wheeling platform--I like the 2.57 low range with the torquey 3.4 whenever I drive my parents' '98.

zidaro

Explorer
that is a sick 1st gen. for sure. Too bad they didnt bring the dash over too.
Yer a lucky guy.

4RunAmok

Explorer
Wow, this is awesome! a 3rd Gen with a removable top!!! What'a dream!!

My ONLY peeve is the tail lights. And ONLY because I can't stand the altezza look and think it's unsafe to remove Amber turn signal lights.

Very cool find!

corax

Explorer
Nice :drool: and you'll never have to worry about not driving a unique piece of machinery

If it's titled and registered as an '01, I gotta wonder what an officer's reaction would be if you get pulled over :Wow1:

Toyotero

Explorer
WOW! I would drive that thing forever.
X2 :smiley_drive:

X3.

I remember seeing this truck years ago online, on the builders website I think or on ih8mud maybe. It's an awesome build (IMHO) from a respected builder... super clean, reliable, comfortable, etc.

Do you have any idea what kind of gas mileage it gets?

I am going to paint the retro 2-tone interior black. I want to use it for a while to find out what it is capable of in it's "stock" form. When the new tires that it came with wear out, I'll probably upgrade to a 2-3" OME lift (not sure how much a stock 3rd gen lift will actually lift mine since it is lighter) and put on 32 or 33" AT's. My only plans as far as a build are to add an e-locker, winch, sliders and maybe some heavier skid plates, depending on how the stock plates hold up.

That sounds like a solid plan for this vehicle! Personally, I wouldn't change the interior one bit, except to add sound deadening material and new stock carpet. I have the same interior in my 86 and I dig the 80s look, but black will do much to modernize it's appearance :-D

BTW, welcome to the forum!

blakeape

Adventurer
Very Cool! I am trying to fix all my other junk and save up parts and $ to do a 3.4 and low SAS on my 1988 4runner. I love the body style, removeable top and just driving my 1988. I have wanted one since 1987 when I was 12 and my parents decided a 4 door Trooper was more 3 kid friendly than the 1st gen. Keep us posted on what you do with it!

slus

Adventurer
As an owner of both a 1st gen and a 3rd gen...I think that is awesome! I love my 84, but the 99 is WAY better when it comes to drivability. I drive the 84 around town, but long trips are always in the 99. On the other hand, my 84 looks way cooler:sombrero: You win, sir.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
"Just for looks, I am going to paint the retro 2-tone interior black"

let me know if you want to get rid of some interior parts before/when you do that.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've seen Oleg's 1st/3rd gen hybrid up close a few times. It's a neat truck and I wish I had the money when he was selling it. Congrats on a cool rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk