Earthroamer XV-JP Version 2.0?

ox4mag

Explorer
So what do y'all think if Earthroamer considered building an XV-JP on the Jeep J8 Milispec vehicle platform? With a rear payload of 2,600 lbs, rear D60 axle and option for 2.8L VM diesel or 5.7L Hemi, this could be the PERFECT platform for an updated XV-JP.

Any thoughts? :)

haven

Expedition Leader
I think the J8 can only be licensed as a kit car. If Earthroamer built on the J8 chassis, they'd have to sell it without the engine. Not an impossible situation, but I think it would be unlikely. Otherwise, Earthroamer would have to add all the safety and emissions control equipment required by EPA and DOT for a 2009 vehicle.

More likely, in my opinion, is a kit from a vendor of lightweight pop-up campers that adapts an existing camper model to the 2-door J8. It's more than just dropping the camper onto the J8. Remember that the J8 has no bulkhead or window behind the driver, so some sort of cab would have to be constructed.

JPFreek, I think you should buy a J8 and show us how it should be done!

Chip Haven

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago I brought up the titling of the J8s in a different thread and did not receive any response. It seems like few people have considered how one of these vehicles could be legally titled, insured, and registered in the US. Maybe I am just more aware of the regulations from being in Land Rover circles for a long time where importation and registration has always been a hot topic, but even registration as a kit car is borderline illegal. Kit car producers must be registered with the DOT as such and there are regulations against selling a "kit car" that is essentially a commercially manufactured vehicle in another country.

The "most legal" way to sell a J8 would be to buy a new 2 door wrangler and "convert" it into a J8 using as many parts from the original wrangler as possible. In this instance, what you have is no different from a Lincoln Town Car that has been converted to a limosine.

Diesel engine swaps bring a whole different dimension to the legality. I will be very interested to see how AEV navigates these obstacles.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm sure that Earthroamer has a huge amount of $$$ tied up in the development of the XV-JP. It won't be a simple task of installing the existing design onto a different chassis. With the relativly low number of XV-JP's that have been produced, and the relatively short time period they have been in production, I'd be willing to bet that ER has a ways to go before all of the R&D + tooling has been paid for. Making major changes now (like changing to a j-8 chassis) would cost a large sum of money, and would essentially gut the sales potential of the existing platform ... which would in turn drive the unit cost of each of those already sold through the roof....err...tent.

Again, I don't know their cost structure, but I'm guessing it would be more feasable to buy an XV-JP (which are sold as "new" vehicles, IIRC), have it delivered to AEV, and have them do the drivetrain modifications.

ox4mag

Explorer
All very good points, particularly the R&D work that's already been put into the current XV-JP model. But alas, one should still at least fantasize about using such a brute chassis for a world-class expedition conversion like the XV-JP. ;)

Chip, we may have to take you up on this by doing a J8 conversion ourselves. Of course, this would entail putting a new mortgage on the house and with a daughter soon on the way, my wife would probably not be happy with me. Ha!

alosix

Expedition Leader
I've been digging through the kit car stuff. Many states have been setup to try and stop you from using it as a loophole to import cars that aren't from here. (grey market like).

The J8 should come with the proper paperwork to get it registered as a normal kit. I've checked with the MD DMV, they seem ok with it.

I've also checked with my insurance agent. They didn't seem to have a problem insuring it.

While it would be cool to see one ER based on one, I doubt we'd see more than just a prototype. Or, option B. Drop one already assembled and titled off at ER and give them lots and lots of $$.. I bet you'd have one then.

Jason

haven

Expedition Leader
"drop an already assembled and titled J8 off at ER..."

That would work! If Bill Swails isn't busy making XV-JP models,
I think he would be interested in working on the J8. Bill has
a heavy right foot -- he might prefer the Hemi over the diesel!

dzzz

I believe the XP-JV is built on a pre-2008 wheelbase. So I expect they will need to make some changes.

I could be wrong, but when I looked at the specs, they didn't match current trucks. I don't know how they're going to get around the ultra low sulpher fuel engine. "North America and Western Europe Roamer" isn't a great name.

dzzz

I'm sure that Earthroamer has a huge amount of $$$ tied up in the development of the XV-JP. "

If they're going to really build expedition vehicles they may need to go to a more modular approach, like unicat. As far as modding the truck chassis, the three point suspension was patented in 1958. It's basic engineering. There core skills are design (as in layout) and business acumen (as far as I know).

I wonder what percent of earth roamers will ever go beyond North America? I would prefer a less pretty vehicle to travel many parts of the world.

edit: Sorry, I was talking about the XP_LV

Last edited:

jayshapiro

Adventurer
While it would be cool to see one ER based on one, I doubt we'd see more than just a prototype. Or, option B. Drop one already assembled and titled off at ER and give them lots and lots of $$.. I bet you'd have one then.

Personally, I think I'd rather save my money (relatively speaking) order a 4-door diesel J8, and drop it off to Mario & Martyn at AT to install one of their new Jeep Flippac's on it. (did you see the Comanche at OvExpo? gotta be a wrangler coming soon...)

Then you just have to add the fridge & bench in the back and you have a pretty kicka$$ XV-JP and probably $40 grand extra to buy lights and LOTS of diesel...

Jay.

alosix

Expedition Leader
well, I did just order a 4 door one.

Is there any place I can get more info on those flippacs? I might just throw one on there.

Also been wanting to mimic it for my M725.

Jason

ox4mag

Explorer
well, I did just order a 4 door one.

Is there any place I can get more info on those flippacs? I might just throw one on there.

Also been wanting to mimic it for my M725.

Jason

You just ordered a 4-door J8 (actually five door)? If so, keep me posted as I'd love to follow that build for the magazine. :)

alosix

Expedition Leader
Well, I've got my place in line faxed in :).

Still a little odd to me calling it a 5 door, can't remember the tailgate ever being counted in the number of doors a Jeep had, if it it.. Man I would have been better on insurance when I was 19 with a new TJ...

This one will likely be the last of the first batch built. I need a little time to finish up in CA before I move back to MD to assemble and build it.

The short list for it so far:
1.) Lock it, it needs arbs in a bad way
2.) Cut the rear suspension off and link it. Will likely be a mix of Nth(well I guess AEV now) stinger and links.
3.) Transfer the TJ's AiRock over to it.
4.) Some 37s.

Very well may try and get a flip pac for it too, we'll see how it goes. I'll give ya a buzz when I get closer to getting it.

Jason

Aggie

Adventurer
Well, I've got my place in line faxed in :).

Still a little odd to me calling it a 5 door, can't remember the tailgate ever being counted in the number of doors a Jeep had, if it it.. Man I would have been better on insurance when I was 19 with a new TJ...

This one will likely be the last of the first batch built. I need a little time to finish up in CA before I move back to MD to assemble and build it.

The short list for it so far:
1.) Lock it, it needs arbs in a bad way
2.) Cut the rear suspension off and link it. Will likely be a mix of Nth(well I guess AEV now) stinger and links.
3.) Transfer the TJ's AiRock over to it.
4.) Some 37s.

Very well may try and get a flip pac for it too, we'll see how it goes. I'll give ya a buzz when I get closer to getting it.

Jason

If you are just going to link the rear, why are you ordering a J8? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a 4 Door Jeep and throw a 60 under the rear? :confused::confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk