ebay Crazy 1978 Toyota Hilux Chinook

adam88

Explorer
Don't quite know what to make of this. It looks freaking awesome.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It would be nice to know a few details because a 1978 Hilux would have been 2WD, 20R, 4 speed originally. The front end is still wearing a 2WD grill.

So how it was converted - frame swap to a 79+ or custom work, drivetrain, etc.

Looks like a neat truck and I bet the work is fine!

adam88

Explorer
It would be nice to know a few details because a 1978 Hilux would have been 2WD, 20R, 4 speed originally. The front end is still wearing a 2WD grill.

So how it was converted - frame swap to a 79+ or custom work, drivetrain, etc.

Looks like a neat truck and I bet the work is fine!

There's more pics on their actual site: https://www.worldwidevintageautos.com/vehicles/8578/1978-toyota-hilux#

According to the ad, it states: *1 of 1 high dollar custom built by Gary Lukehart per previous owner

Gary Lukehart is the origina owner of chinook campers. The dash is signed with his name. The build quality looks excellent. It was obviously converted to a 4wd. This is not the only one that Gary worked on. There was another 1982 Hilux chinook that sold on bringatrailer in 2020.

Check this article out: https://www.hagerty.com/media/aucti...camper-truck-was-a-labor-of-restoration-love/

adam88

Explorer
@adam88, thanks for the link. Very interesting. It looks like this one lost (or never had) it's pop top, too.

I think this one was purposely made without a pop top. It wasn't intended to be a camper. But it sure would make a neat starting point for someone. Cant imagine how much this cost to make. Only problem is the engine. It looks pretty stock (I dont know much about engines) and probably puts out like 100hp max. Enough to move the truck find but you wont be going anywhere fast and I shutter to think how it would perform at high altitudes up grades. Tranny might also struggle to handle any extra weight. I think this would make a cool camping rig. Throw a mattress in the back and some camping equipment and go.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 22R-E won't win any land speed records but it gets the job done. The engine was rated at about 115 HP and 135 lb-ft at speed level.

The main problem I think American drivers have to overcome is not revving it enough and driving them like a V8. They are fine running 4000 RPM for a while climbing a grade, you can't expect it to work just lugging along at 2500 RPM. They'll pull you along on flat without much head wind at 75 MPH but since it needs RPM you mileage will suffer.

This one is built slightly with better fuel injection, aftermarket ignition and a header. So it might make a few more HP. Nothing drastic, though.

Depending on what transmission they put in, maybe a W56, maybe a G5x, it'll have a respectable first and slight overdrive. The G5x series had 3.93:1 1st and teh W56 3.95:1. Both are 0.85:1 5th. The W series is plenty strong but the G52 & G54 benefit from being upgraded by Marlin to a heavy duty, which he remans with a larger input bearing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78