Educate me on the Frontier

CodyB

Observer
For the past seven years or so I drove a DC LB Tacoma that I bought new along with a Dodge 2500 that I had for awhile, anyway I decided to downsize to just one truck and bought a 2016 Ram 2500 a few weeks ago. The Tacoma was my daily driver and also took me on many hunting and fishing trips throughout the west. I had an OME suspension on it, ARB bumper, Warn winch, custom headache rack and bedrails, storage shelf and other modifications that made it a great truck for the uses I had.

Anyway, I am now beginning to look at the used market for a replacement truck to use occasionally around town but also for the those shorter one to three day or so trips into the hills. I had been looking at the access cab Tacomas but a couple days ago I passed a nice looking Nissan Frontier on the road and it got me thinking about shopping for a used Frontier. So knowing next to nothing about the Frontier trucks can you guys help me out with which model years to look at, engine choices to look for or avoid, common maintenance issues, etc? As I have been looking through the forum there appear to some nicely built CC SB Frontiers but I will be considering the extended cab versions if that makes any difference. Anyway, any information or insight into the Frontiers will be appreciated.

srileo

Research the SMOD issue of the second gen (current) frontiers. That has been the only major headache with Frontiers.

For the past seven years or so I drove a DC LB Tacoma that I bought new along with a Dodge 2500 that I had for awhile, anyway I decided to downsize to just one truck and bought a 2016 Ram 2500 a few weeks ago. The Tacoma was my daily driver and also took me on many hunting and fishing trips throughout the west. I had an OME suspension on it, ARB bumper, Warn winch, custom headache rack and bedrails, storage shelf and other modifications that made it a great truck for the uses I had.

Anyway, I am now beginning to look at the used market for a replacement truck to use occasionally around town but also for the those shorter one to three day or so trips into the hills. I had been looking at the access cab Tacomas but a couple days ago I passed a nice looking Nissan Frontier on the road and it got me thinking about shopping for a used Frontier. So knowing next to nothing about the Frontier trucks can you guys help me out with which model years to look at, engine choices to look for or avoid, common maintenance issues, etc? As I have been looking through the forum there appear to some nicely built CC SB Frontiers but I will be considering the extended cab versions if that makes any difference. Anyway, any information or insight into the Frontiers will be appreciated.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well... You asked for it... :D

The 2nd gen Frontiers run from 2005-now, with a replacement coming soon on the horizon. They are absolutely fantastic trucks, and a good alternative to the Tacoma. Great thing about them is they can be had for much cheaper than an equivalent Tacoma. Around here, the difference is around $3-5K, depending on the truck.

Similarities:
Both are about the same length, width, and height, with similar size beds, similar wheelbase, similar approach/departure angles. They are a similar weight, both have 4.0 V6s, both can be had with a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual, both have cool off road packages, reliability is just about the same, and parts availability is similar.

Differences:
Engine - while they are the same displacement, the Nissan VQ40 is more powerful, with 265hp/285lb-ft.

Interior - the Nissan interior is nice, but a bit more utilitarian than the Toyota. It's still a nice place to be though. The Nissan feels more like a truck to be in, with a more upright seating position. The Nissan also has a quite a bit bigger back seat. If you're a bigger guy, the Toyota seat can be adjusted a lot more, but I've never been uncomfortable in my Frontier. The Frontier dash layout is nice and there is a ridiculous amount of storage inside. Giant door bins, a cavernous center console, and two, yes two, glove boxes.

Ground clearance - the Nissan is more low slung. The result of having a more upright seating position is a bigger cab, which hangs down lower than the Toyota body. The frame heights are actually pretty similar, but the Toyota body is more on top of the frame, while the Frontier sort of wraps around it more if that makes sense. As a result, the Nissan is noticeably lower. My truck on 33s and a 3 inch lift has only about 2.5 inches more clearance under the doors than my friend's Tacoma at stock height. Don't get me wrong, the Nissan will definitely go all the same places as you can take a similarly modified Tacoma, but you'll be using more armor.

Suspension - the layout is similar, with coilovers on the front and leafs in the rear. The rear is just about the same, just with different axles. The Frontier rear axle seems to be a but more heavy duty than is necessary (which is a good thing), as the manual and off-road versions sport the same Dana 44 variant axle as the V8 powered Titan. The other axle isn't quite as beefy but it's still plenty tough. They both can take a lot of abuse. The front is a bit different. The front suspension places the UCA over the coilover instead of outside it. Also, the frame is wider than the Tacoma's, so the control arms are shorter. As a result, the Nissan doesn't have as good of suspension travel as the Toyota does. The design is still very good, but the travel is more limited. The front differential is not as strong as the Tacoma's is, but unless you are running 35s or doing a lot of tire spinning, it's not much of an issue. The front suspension can be upgraded for pretty cheap, since the Titan and the Frontier use (roughly) the same frame. This means you can bolt Titan suspension to a Frontier. That gets you into a long travel setup for pretty cheap (comparatively speaking). You can also bolt up the stronger M205 front diff from a Titan.

Frame - the Frontier has a beefier, boxed frame versus the Toyota's c-channel frame. Whether that makes much of a difference is a matter of debate. The Frontiers don't have a frame rust problem like many of the Tacomas do.

Fuel economy - on average, the Tacoma will get slightly better mileage. The diffence isn't super dramatic, and that gap can be closed a bit with some minor mods, but it's there.

Aftermarket - this is where the Toyota has the largest advantage. The Tacoma has many more options for bumpers, sliders, and suspension than the Frontier. That being said, the Frontier has all the necessary stuff available. ARB, Shrockworks, and Hefty Fab all sell front and rear bumpers for it, and there are a few companies making skids for them. Sliders are also easy to find. The Tacoma has many more suspension options, but the Frontiers still have enough. OME, Radflo, TJM, and a few others make suspension parts for it, so you've still got plenty to choose from. Otherwise, the Frontier is pretty well represented.

There's not too much to be concerned about with these trucks. 2005-2008 had an issue known as the strawberry milkshake of death, where a trans cooler line that goes through the radiator would crack and and the trans fluid and coolant would mix. This would take out all the seals in the transmission and cost you about $5k to get a new one. Luckily, this problem is pretty easy and pretty cheap to get around, and if you want to avoid it completely, the 2009+ trucks are cured of the problem entirely. Beyond that, the minor headaches include a belt tensioner that isn't as long-lived as it should be, and a squeaky hood latch. Luckily, both of these are really easy and pretty cheap to fix.

Otherwise, they're damn near bulletproof. I cannot overstate how reliable and capable mine has been. They're whisper quiet on the highway, they're comfortable, handle well, accelerate well, off road well, and look cool. They're really great trucks both on and off the road. Mine has been an absolute pleasure to drive, and it's never let me down. I do really like it more than the Tacoma. I like the looks better, the price is much better, and then there's the fact that it's so different. Modded Tacomas are pretty common. Modded Frontiers are not. It's cool to have something not as mainstream.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

ludeykrus

Observer
^ Not really much else to be said. I just bought a new truck after trading in my F250, and went with a '15 Frontier Pro-4x. Basically, the Frontier is a better deal new, resale is a bit lower so you can snag better deals used, and compares to the Tacoma in most every way. The new 2016 Tacomas have finally had the motors pumped up to horsepower competitive with the Frontier, and eek out a few more MPG in the process. However, the new motors are missing that goosey torque I like in the Frontier. Also, the new Tacoma's interior is pretty schweet and has been brought into the modern age, blowing the Frontier's out of the water... and they finally got a sunroof, but not in the TRD Offroad package (Frontier had it in the Pro-4X trim).

CodyB

Observer
Wreckdiver1321 and others thank you for the information. This will prove to be a good starting point and I am liking the reviews and recommendations for the Frontier. Are the 1st generation (pre-2005 as I understand it) also worth considering too?

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
We had a 2nd gen Xterra OR, essentially the same as a frontier. We loved it and frequently discuss our regrets over selling it over 5 years ago.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Wreckdiver1321 and others thank you for the information. This will prove to be a good starting point and I am liking the reviews and recommendations for the Frontier. Are the 1st generation (pre-2005 as I understand it) also worth considering too?

They really are amazingly good trucks. Some of my favorite I've ever driven.

The first gens are still decent trucks, but they're a whole different ball of wax. The VG33 engine isn't as silky or nearly as powerful as the 4.0, with only like 180hp. They're also not nearly as fuel efficient. Regular fuel economy is in the 15-16 mpg range. That being said, they make bundles of torque and are pretty much indestructible. They are let down by the 4 speed automatic, but the 5 speed manual is pretty good. The whole drivetrain is really tough though, and can take a major beating. 4-low is ridiculous, thanks to the ridiculously low rear end gears. So it's pretty good off road, with pretty good rear end articulation as well. They're really tough trucks. They're also very light, and they have a lot of ground clearance.

However, the second gens are in a whole different league in almost every respect. The first gens (1998-2004) are much smaller, and built much lighter. As a result, they don't feel nearly as solid. They're not as quiet on the road, they're not as smooth, not as comfortable, and they just feel like they're more of a "budget" vehicle. They don't feel cheap, more sort of "utility van". They're just sort of plasticky. Also, the back seat is pretty tiny, and there's a serious lack of interior storage compartments. However, they're really easy to clean and I'm fairly sure it would take a machete to rip one of the seats.

One of it's biggest letdowns is the front suspension. Instead of the excellent coilover setup on the second gens, the first gens use a torsion bar system which isn't as smooth, can't be lifted as much, and don't have as much articulation. They are easier and cheaper to lift though.

The aftermarket for them is even worse than for the second gens, with only one company making a decent bumper for them, only a couple making skidplates, one or two making sliders, and not very many making suspension components. They're not super expensive to mod, but your options are pretty limited.

The major Achilles heel of these trucks is the knock sensor, which goes out every so often and makes the engine run richer. To replace them is a really serious pain. This can be gotten around by relocating the sensor, but it's something to consider.

If you're looking at them, stay away from the supercharged engines. They are less reliable, get far worse fuel mileage, and force you to run premium fuel, all for a meager increase in horsepower.

They're decent trucks, but they're blown out of the water by the 2005+ trucks.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
0152f5b7dc8902f9b7f0d623840aa726.jpg

Love mine...

Big Coop

Obrianmcc

Observer
The only unresolved annoying issue that comes to mind is the rattling drivers side/passenger side windows ... if you lower the windows slightly the (what I assume to be the window linkage) creaks ... raising the window just a touch helps to silence the noise. I've read that the issue goes back many years and for whatever reason Nissan has chosen to not address it ... at least on my 14'

The Trans/Rad contamination issues were resolved in 2010 ... so no sense in worrying about that one ...

Interior comfort is good. The fit and finish inside the cab some claim is a bit dated, but I like it. I would comment that if the seats went back another inch or so the truck would better accommodate taller drivers like myself at 6'3". Headroom is good with positioning of all interior controls seemingly well though out, except the rear view mirror settles down abit not wanting to maintain a view angle for my height.

The stock suspension, at least how it is spec'd on the Pro 4, is a little weird. Nissan specs in a heavier rated spring to the front which raises the front approx a 1/2" ... they then spec the same standard leaf pack in the rear as they do with all Frontier spec's, which IMO is soft. I discovered that running empty the truck handled great, add in a few hundred pounds to the bed and the rear settles ... unweighting the front just enough to give the truck a vague/wallowing/stinkbug feel. I added in some Ride-Rite air bags to help maintain attitude and pressure on the front end, which resolved the vague handling but of course added some harshness typical of an air spring. At some point a Nisstec lift will probably resolve all these woe's ...

I bought my 14' Pro4 new ... I did have a list of warranty issues that I did feel were a bit excessive for a new $36k+ truck.. all were in the end resolved by my dealer. Some were simple creaky dash type stuff, components such as a sun roof motor failure, but the big one for me was some suspension clunking that in the end was discovered to be front and rear mounting bolts not torqued at the Nissan factory. Overall now since my list of issues has been resolved, the truck has been a solid runner for the last year.

Overall I do like the Frontier ... The Frontier for me was kind of an impulse buy coming from a Titan that I owned for about 10 yrs. However, to do over I personally would probably take a closer look at the Tacoma.

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
I had a '06 XTERRA with the VQ40 and I really miss that engine, had about 90k miles when sold and never had a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal