Egan's M101A3 Build

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Just thinking out loud here, but are the shoes adjusted back? You should be able to slide the drum over the shoes easy enough, then adjust to where you need them.

Egan70

Observer
Looks good. You may end up bending those tabs on the tailgate of you put any weight or stand on it.

I sat on the tailgate and it didn't budge, but between the tabs and the last chain in the link welded to the trailer, I could see how anything over a couple hundred pounds might break something. The tabs were bent to begin with and I ended up straightening them. Any recommendations on beefing it up so the tailgate can be used safely for seating or a work surface?

RagnarD

Adventurer
3 butts = 600 lbs plus impact of sitting down. I posted pics of my tailgate in my build thread. Mine still managed to bend so I would use thicker material if doing again. In another build thread, they welded a piece of pipe to the side of the tailgate to hold the pins. That is a good solution as long as the pins hold up, but if they don't, its an easy fix.

Egan70

Observer
3 butts = 600 lbs plus impact of sitting down. I posted pics of my tailgate in my build thread. Mine still managed to bend so I would use thicker material if doing again. In another build thread, they welded a piece of pipe to the side of the tailgate to hold the pins. That is a good solution as long as the pins hold up, but if they don't, its an easy fix.

Ya, I remember seeing that pip[e setup. One more thing to add to the "to be welded list".

Egan70

Observer
Worked on getting the Diamondback cover installed today. It is designed to work with a typical pickup truck bed rail, so I improvised by adding a lip:

This presented some unique challenges using their clamps because they are designed around the lip going under the cover, not 180 degrees the other way. I modified the clamps to get a wider grip and they worked out ok - I'll try to find a better solution later.

Egan70

Observer
That took care of the center section, and then I moved to the rear panel. Here I decided to use one of the M101A3 gussets as the spot for the rod to go into when locked. What I did not realize at first was that when open, the rod was no longer in the guide bracket. So I tweaked the guide bracket by adding spacers so that it wouldn't drop the rod in the open position, but still worked when closed.

For the front panel, there was no gusset so I added some 7/8 Unistrut to catch the rod. Again I had to space the bracket out.

Egan70

Observer
Here it is all closed up. Now I can park the trailer outside (with my pintle lock) without worrying about the elements.

Egan70

Observer
Finally got my box mounted. I through-bolted it to the tongue and used nylock nuts. I got the box from Northern Tool and it was half the price of the exact same box at Home Depot and other online sources. Great general purpose box, although I may look to add a battery (in it's own containment within the box) down the road.

I used 4" long, 3/8" bolts (the 3.1/2" long ones were a bit short). Here I am drilling the pilot holes with my helper:

The box installed:

I had to balance the lid opening completely vs. being too far forward on the tongue. This spot keeps the lid open so it won't slam on me while I'm putting things in the box, but is as far back as I can go.

Inside:

snowblind

Adventurer
Here it is all closed up. Now I can park the trailer outside (with my pintle lock) without worrying about the elements.

LOVING the Diamondback top! A significant investment for sure but opens up a number of options. What specific model did you go with?

M101A3 with 2 x ATVs on the top is a very interesting proposition.

Matt

Egan70

Observer
LOVING the Diamondback top! A significant investment for sure but opens up a number of options. What specific model did you go with?

M101A3 with 2 x ATVs on the top is a very interesting proposition.

Matt

I went with the middle one. I didn't need the extra strength for ATV's, just normal gear. It was probably overkill.

I'm still working on a rack design, most likely mounted to the trailer and removable - mounting a rack to the DiamondBack limits my options and won't get the RTT high enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater