Engel/ARB Fridge/Freezer Settings???

What setting do you normally use on your Engel/ARB MT-45?

Votes: 5 12.5%

Votes: 20 50.0%

Votes: 8 20.0%

Votes: 3 7.5%

Votes: 2 5.0%

Votes: 2 5.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...If not, I see no reason to upgrade in the future from my old school ARB fridge.

Even if the ARB thermometer is off by x amount, its still going to allow it to cycle on and off at a set amount above and below an actual temperature, not just on and off at an arbitrary setting, so if you find you fridge reads 35* but is actually 38* inside, its still going to keep it plus or minus a couple of degrees, adjust your base setting and enjoy. Your Engel is not going to allow that function. I'm still running an Engel myself but have been using a demo ARB one for quite some time too... I've not found more than a degree or two difference out of the thermometer versus a wireless thermometer. Location of the pickup and other variables can cause a differentiation, more important is that you figure out how to adjust it to your needs.

Team Ball's Out

Adventurer
I have the m45 Eng.I used mine for the frist time and really did not know where to set the setting. Crap this thing works to well. All of my food and drinks were frozen. I had to lay them on my door on my trailer to thaw out. I am glad to see postings about the temp control. Thanks this is helping me out as to what the settings might be.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Here are my Engel/ARB MT-45 empirical test results:

The fridge was tested empty, running on 115v. It was located inside my Bantam trailer, which was parked inside my uninsulated and unheated garage.

Fridge temps were taken over a two-week period at approximately the same time each morning and evening with a refrigerator/freezer thermometer from the grocery store. Ambient temperature was taken with a garden variety outdoor thermometer I bought years ago.

Each temperature setting was monitored for a 48 hour period before changing to the next setting.

Observed temperatures were consistent at each temperature setting over the montored 48 hour period for ambient temperatures between 50-85 degrees F. When the ambient temperature reached 88 F during a heat wave, the unit temperature increased only 1 degree. When the ambient temperature one morning dropped to 45 degrees F, the unit temperature dropped 1 degree.

The following are the temperatures (F) observed at each setting with ambient temperatures between 50-85 degrees F:

Setting Temp
1.5 40
2.0 30
2.5 25
3.0 15
3.5 13
4.0 08
4.5 04
5.0 xx (Dial goes to "5," but pointer stops at 4.5)

Bottom line, my Engel/ARB MT-45 fridge, which had been stored unplugged for almost two years, is working fine. As with most who responded, I will use "1.5" as a starting point for trail runs and adjust from there depending upon whether my lettuce freezes or my beer is too warm.

In the meantime, my trailer fridge is being pressed into service as an extra freezer for the holidays.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
So far, the ambient temperature has not affected the internal temperature unless above 85 degrees (F) or below 55, and then only by 1-2 degrees.

This has been my experience too.

I load both my fridges (both Engel/ old ARB type) in TX and set them to 1.5. This seems to keep the inside to just above freezing regardless of my destination or elevation/ ambient temp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater