Engine/trans skid

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Drain hole pics

ChemicalToilet I have a 6 cyl. so yeah I'm thinking the quality control at Rusty's may not be that great. Anyway I will try and attach a pic or two. I might call Rusty's, although I don't know if they'll make good since I've already drilled the holes. Thanks for the answers.

Attachments

• P1010072.JPG
    P1010072.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 33

luk4mud

Explorer
For oil changes, you may want to consider the fujimoto drain system. Fram makes a knockoff one as well, usually available at HF for under $10. I have had the Fram on for 2+ years and it works well.

As far as Rusty's stuff, I'm not surprised. He used to make decent stuff, but it's more common to find ticked off customers than happy ones these days it seems. There a re a few brands that I just steer clear of and that is one.

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Called Rusty's

Well I called Rusty's and started the conversation with "where is the oil drain hole supposed to be on the plate?". He replied forward and to the drivers side of the drain plug. So either they made a bad run and people have been calling, or the design has changed. I explained that I don't see how I'm supposed to remove the plug using the hole as access. He said that no you are supposed to come in from the side of the skid, between the skid and frame. Loosen the plug, place a funnel on top of the skid, and unscrew the plug the rest of the way by finger. I'm sure that will work (may need to make/modify a funnel), but appearently it's fine.

luk4mud

Explorer
Well I called Rusty's and started the conversation with "where is the oil drain hole supposed to be on the plate?". He replied forward and to the drivers side of the drain plug. So either they made a bad run and people have been calling, or the design has changed. I explained that I don't see how I'm supposed to remove the plug using the hole as access. He said that no you are supposed to come in from the side of the skid, between the skid and frame. Loosen the plug, place a funnel on top of the skid, and unscrew the plug the rest of the way by finger. I'm sure that will work (may need to make/modify a funnel), but appearently it's fine.

If it were me, I'd probably just live with it but would think real hard about buying anything else from them. It just shouldn't be that hard to change your oil..

ChemicalToilet

:Wow1: Sounds like you can dry that one out and fertilize the lawn. I feel really bad about recommending Rusty's. The hole in mine looks like it's the same size as the one in yours, except the front edge of it is just a little ahead of the plug and it goes back. Perfect spot, just used an extension and a ratchet to get the plug. Why would they change that? That explanation would have gotten him an earful from me, they must have screwed up the entire production run of them and they don't want to eat it. Hope it's worth their already shaky reputation.

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
oh well

luk4mud and chemicaltoilet I agree with what you both said. I probably won't by anything else from them, and chem I was going with that skid anyway so no worries. I'll set something up to change the oil, if it's a disaster than I'll just take the saw to it and put a hole where it belongs. It's a bit of a bummer, but at least it's not like replacing an oil pump only to find that the replacement is bad. I'll keep everyone posted on the oil change. Thanks.

luk4mud

Explorer
Ryan, I saw those Fujimoto knockoff drain systems at HF the other day again. They're like $5. Might help with your issue.

Jeffb79

Observer
I'd go with a fujimoto oil drain valve and some tubing....
changing the oil with most engine skids is a pia, but once I place the fujimoto valve on there all I have to do is slide the rubber hose over the nipple and open the valve. Very easy and mess free.

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Will be going with a drain system

Thanks luk4mud and Jeffb79. I was thinking of going with a drain system before I had the skid, but was concerned about it being unprotected. Now it's protected and seems like a good time to switch. I'll look into the knock-offs, fujimoto, and the fram version. Thanks again for everyones input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater