EngineAir?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I don't see this as a front-line option. I see it as minimal space requirement, just short of driving out on low tires option. If you've got the time to do this, you've likely got the time to allow things to cool off. With iron cylinder head(s) the risk is fairly low. You're more likely to damage an ignition cable than break the spark plug. I'd be less inclined to use it with aluminum heads unless there was time for the heads to cool to ambient temperature. And regardless of head material, if the plugs are all a PITA to remove then this is not a good option to consider.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Needless engine tinkering out off the beaten path just puts a little extra risk into the equation. What happens if you break the spark plug while you're out there? What if you accidently drop something down the plug hole during the "tooling changeover"? What happens to the extra unburnt fuel? Does it overheat the catalytic converter as you're idling away, filling tires? A manual pump is all of $20, and chances are you'll have the tire filled in the same amount of time pumping with your foot than you would friggin' around with your engine.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I've got a diesel, so this is all moot anyway :)

All great 'what-ifs', but none I have encountered in my 15 years old mechanical work including working professionally doing tune-ups on small engines and vehicles alike. Again these were popular and marketed in the 60's and 70's when many of your 'what ifs' were a non-issue. I'm not advocating them and despite owning one I've never even considered packing it along... but to hype up the use of them as 'taking apart your motor' is misleading a bit no?

cruiseroutfit

I don't see this as a front-line option. I see it as minimal space requirement, just short of driving out on low tires option. If you've got the time to do this, you've likely got the time to allow things to cool off. With iron cylinder head(s) the risk is fairly low. You're more likely to damage an ignition cable than break the spark plug. I'd be less inclined to use it with aluminum heads unless there was time for the heads to cool to ambient temperature. And regardless of head material, if the plugs are all a PITA to remove then this is not a good option to consider.

100% agree.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
All great 'what-ifs', but none I have encountered in my 15 years old mechanical work including working professionally doing tune-ups on small engines and vehicles alike. Again these were popular and marketed in the 60's and 70's when many of your 'what ifs' were a non-issue. I'm not advocating them and despite owning one I've never even considered packing it along... but to hype up the use of them as 'taking apart your motor' is misleading a bit no?

No.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Ha! I wouldn't do that either! Guess I'm starting to develop a pattern. It takes me 1.5 minutes per tire to air down without removing the valve core and risk loss. I of course carry spares, but why risk it to save 30 seconds? I'm never in that much of a rush...

cruiseroutfit

Ha! I wouldn't do that either! Guess I'm starting to develop a pattern. It takes me 1.5 minutes per tire to air down without removing the valve core and risk loss. I of course carry spares, but why risk it to save 30 seconds? I'm never in that much of a rush...

:clapsmile Work with me, I'm learning from the pro lol.

I'd bet a large portion of ExPo members 'tear apart their axles' when they use an EZ-Deflator (ie ARB, Currie, Teraflex) setup which pulls the core out of their tire albeit holding it. If they only knew :eek:

Nomenclature, we can agree to disagree. I don't think pulling a plug is any more difficlut than pulling a valve core, which imo is no more difficult than putting gas in a car, your results may vary.

Last edited:

scottishpinz

Adventurer
When I used the term "taking your engine apart" I was referring to the fact that removing a spark plug then compromises the engine, if the plug gets dropped, damaged or cross threads then the vehicle's ability to continue may be compromised!

On my Pinz with its standard military shielded ignition system the plugs are £100 a set.

To remove a plug I need to lift the whole engine cover, not just the access cover, so I need to take the front seats out. To remove the plugs I need to get my tools out, where of course I have a pump, so why not leave the engine to do what it does best (powering the truck) and use the pump to inflate the tyres. If I was in the habit of airing down a lot I would get a compressor.

It would probably be just as quick to put the spare tyre on.

Just try it as an experiment, race to re-inflate a flat, on person grabs the pump, the other the plug socket! The engine air gadget must have a long hose attached or do you need to bring the tyre to the engine?

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I'd keep this as an emergency backup option, sure, but I feel that pulling a spark plug while out travelling is just tempting Murphy.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
and

We call carry extra spark plugs anyway... just in case right?

I have one of these pumps that I fixed up and carry in my car. I think its a fail safe incase absoultley everything else fails. Plus its fun to show people- thats about it.

Never tried to use it, hope I dont have to.

unreng

Ever worked on a van engine?? Since it's not as easy as: lift the hood, unscrew the plug and screw in the adapter; this is the very last scenario to select (and I personally wouldn't use it). As this is a "last-ditch" question, you're probably not gonna be around the corner from the gas station. And since this is an expedition forum, you're most likely in BFE, so your vehicle is packed for expeditioning, therefore removing the engine cover in a van is a rather large hassle vs. a simple and time-honored bike pump.

A bicycle pump would serve the same purpose AND also air up bicycle tires. :chef:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Having tried a bicycle pump as an experiment some time ago I can tell you that you're going to be "there" for quite a while. Hope you ate your Wheaties too. :sombrero:
Perhaps the foot operated pump pictured earlier would work better, I didn't and don't have one of those to try.

The point is sort of moot anyway. I don't own a chuffer and would very likely drive out on whatever tire pressure I had. I have a pressure balance air hose that I made up to make the Detroits in the Sub and in Patch happier on the pavement, so I could easily borrow from all other tires. In the avatar buggy I carried a GM Space Saver Spare CO2 bottle just for those sorts of needs.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Ever worked on a van engine?? Since it's not as easy as: lift the hood, unscrew the plug and screw in the adapter; this is the very last scenario to select (and I personally wouldn't use it). As this is a "last-ditch" question, you're probably not gonna be around the corner from the gas station. And since this is an expedition forum, you're most likely in BFE, so your vehicle is packed for expeditioning, therefore removing the engine cover in a van is a rather large hassle vs. a simple and time-honored bike pump.

A bicycle pump would serve the same purpose AND also air up bicycle tires. :chef:

Yes I have, and your right plugs are difficult to get to in comparison. Actually I worked on a snowblower last week that had a pita spark plug to get to. But as I neither work on commonly or use vans or snowblowers in my outdoor trips nor travel with anyone that does, its completely erroneous, another 'what if'. I think we are all well aware of the fact its not ideal nor even practical for every application, but if it works in the users particular one there is no reason they should discount it because some guy with a van won't be able to use it lol.

A bike pump? Really like a standard run of the mill bike pump? Sorry... don't see that happening for a 35" tire on my watch. Your telling me removing a spark plug is difficult yet recommending a bike pump to air up a tire? I'm all for doing things the 'old fashioned' way, or trying something out of pure stubbornness... but a bike pump would be the last thing I pack on any of my trips.

We can agree to disagree, again I'm not advocating them and despite owning one I've never even considered packing it along... but to hype up the use of them as 'taking apart your motor' just because that is the case for a van, or a Camaro or any other non applicable application is misleading to those that they could very well serve nicely The fact is the majority of older 4x4's have complete and easy access to their spark plugs and if your not comfortable safely removing a spark plug and re-installing it on the typical gas motor, I'd honestly recommend you keep your hood shut ;)

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Chuff

I've had one of these for years and used it several times. It works just fine, but slowly. I wouldn't part with it, and I keep it in the truck at all times.
It doesn'tmpart fuel into the tire, but I've only used it on my carbureted truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven