Entry Level Kayak

M

modelbuilder

I went Kayaking at the beach for the first time this week and I loved it. What a great workout.

I guess there is a difference between an ocean kayak and one that you take on the rivers. I would just like something I can load in the Jeep and go out on the lake.

I'm thinking of something similar to this...

http://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk/productpages/sit-on-tops/pictures/ocean-kayak-mysto.jpg

Suggestions for brands to look out for? I would like one that has a water tight compartment. Also something that won't break the bank.

Missing Link

I went Kayaking at the beach for the first time this week and I loved it. What a great workout.

I guess there is a difference between an ocean kayak and one that you take on the rivers. I would just like something I can load in the Jeep and go out on the lake.

http://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk/productpages/sit-on-tops/pictures/ocean-kayak-mysto.jpg

Suggestions for brands to look out for? I would like one that has a water tight compartment. Also something that won't break the bank.

You will likely get much good advice from experienced kayakers about what to do and what not to do. As with most of the threads on EXPO, too much info can sometimes make simple decisions more difficult. The following is merely our (my wife and I) personal experience. In 2003 we, just like you, wanted beginner level kayaks for fun and exercise. There are two basic types on the market, sit-on-tops (like the Ocean Kayak brand pictured in your attachment) and sit-insides which are the more traditional style of kayak. I remember reading kayak forums at the time that espoused all kinds "must do/must not do" information . . . . it was very confusing. For a variety of reasons, we decided that the sit insides suited our needs better and we bought two 9.5 foot "Swiftys" made by perception Kayaks from REI for a little over $300.00 each (somewhere around $850.00 with paddles, PDFs, tax, etc.). While these would certainly not be to everyone's liking, they have been perfect for us. We live a few minutes from a small lake and find the boats easy to transport and launch, great as a form of exercise, and fabulous for taking wildlife pictures. Because of the small size and light weight we have been able to easily take them along on trips (we throw them in the back of our Tacoma). They visited the Maritime Provinces of eastern Canada with us in 2003 and added another dimension to trips to Vancouver Island and southeastern Alaska on several other trips. I guess my point to all of this is that arguements can be made for longer boats, different hull designs, etc. (just like the arguements that exist on EXPO about optimal tire size, lift kits, etc.), but it should be more about getting out and doing it, rather than worrying that all things are perfect. My advice is to do some initial research to see which basic type best fits your needs, buy an inexpesive vesrion and go for it. Used kayaks are abundant and easy to buy because there is little to go wrong with them. Basically, with the rotomolded plastic boats, if there are no holes in them, they are good to go. Obviously you had the chance to try a "sit on top" at the beach last week; if you don't have an opportunity to try a "sit inside" locally, you are welcome to travel north about three hours and try ours out at the local lake for a few hours. If, after your initial entry into the kayak world, you find that you are hooked, you can always upgrade in the future to boat that better fits your needs at that time. Sorry this was so long and again, this is just my view, and may not be the best approach for you. Best of luck. You will have fun no matter which way you decide to go.
Richard

Attachments

• DSC01800.JPG
    DSC01800.JPG
    741.2 KB · Views: 96

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Check craigslist for cheap kayaks.....

I am paticular to a few brands. But for an entry level boat I highly reccomend a Wilderness Systems. The Tsunami series is really great to start with. Very durable boat and very user friendly. If you plan to use it in the ocean and on the lake I would get 16ft. or longer. No reason you can't haul a long boat like this on a Jeep. Just get the right rack, no biggie.

The Tsunami's are very stable, have a nice comfy seat and are fast. Tons of room in them too if you want to do some camping out of the boat. Can't say enough about them for an entry level boat.

And yes there is a HUGE difference between a white water boat and a cruising boat.

FAW3

Adventurer
The previous posters have given some great advice.

Over the years I've played with sit in and sit on top and enjoyed both. Try renting a few times and trying each...you may find features that you love that mean little to someone else. At least once rent one with a rudder.

The plastic boats are nearly indestructible as noted. Exotics, such as fiberglass or Kevlar are beautiful to behold, can offer some performance/weight advantages but require generally greater caution and care and cost more.

Make sure YOU fit the boat...there are weight ratings, differences in cockpit openings and seating types (which is perhaps the biggest individualized aspect to consider). Remember the weight of gear also - an overloaded kayak is a pig on the water. For the broadest range of use, you likely don't want a stubby whitewater or super long ocean touring length...but a moderate length.

Specifically in the context of exploration type travel...I love the sit on top, (but if I was spending more time in cold water...would go sit in). Easy to strap to a roof, easy to clean (road dust), easy to lock up (passing cable through a drain port and around roof rack or a tree), used kayaks frequently found on Craigslist for a good price. Consider how you will carry before you buy...a good boat is fun and responsive to paddle, comfortable to sit in, hauls your gear, and is easily put onto your roof rack.

M

modelbuilder

Alright...so I have narrowed my choices down.

I know that I want a sit-in Ocean Kayak.

Should I purchase a tandem or single rider?

Single rider has to be a bright color like yellow or orange...possibly green and around 11 feet long. It also has to have storage.

Also thinking about a tandem as someday I would like a partner to take out and kayak with....can I maneuver something like this myself?

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single_kayaks/caper.html

I'm thinking I should focus on finding a nice single rider.

The quest continues on craiglist!

Joe

luk4mud

Explorer
Joe, you may want to go doen to that big shop in Huntington Beach on PCH and rent one, tool aound in the harbor and see what you think. There is another guy right next door that also rents another brand I think. Good place to test them.

I think I still have some Yakima rollers for a kayak if you're interested.

T.Low

Expedition Leader

QUOTE]

You are correct, there are major differences between a sea kayak and a recreation kayak and a white water kayak.

There is, however, no real entry level. Many people start right away with a 17' x 22" sea kayak and some lessons, or a white water kayak and some lessons. It all depends on where you want to paddle and what you want to get out of the sport.

Sea kayaking involves a learned skillset. White water, in many ways, even more so, while rec boating invloves less. But any way you look at it, kayaking is a skill based activity involving it's own knowledge base.

Even with a rec boat that is good for placid lakes and class II rivers, I would still recommend a lesson. If you take a lesson before you buy, you will definitely better learn what you want in a boat and what you do not.

You will want to learn some basic strokes and techniques, some different rescues, and about gear and paddles, not to mention a little bit about the type of water you will be paddling in.

I would recommend a single as oppossed to trying to learn in a more cumbersome tandem. The tandem rec boats are usually too big and awkward to paddle solo and too small for two paddlers to comfortably paddle tandem. (My tandem sea kayak is 22' long)

Not to sound like a Safety Nazi, but the reality is that a simple lesson may save your life.

Good luck with your purchase, and maybe I'll see you on the water.

Last edited:

Oni

Adventurer
Just to complicate your choice even more...I have one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/736947?p...-C1FB-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

We putter around in the ocean and I've taken it to the Mammoth area and puttered around Lake Crowley. Stuffs down into a bag you can stick in the trunk of a car. Seems to paddle as nice and as fast as sit on top kayaks.

I got it as I don't want a kayak taking up room in the garage or having to get a roof rack to haul it around. Set up and take down are quite easy. 5-10 minutes at a nice relaxed pace.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I was in the same boat as you after relocating from NYC, went with a dagger and a perception for $100 each. A lot of the Old Town kayaks routinely sell for under 200$ here.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Since you are in So Cal, you might want to take advantage of one of Southwind Kayak Center's Demo mornings. Good opportunity to try out a number of different boats. Looks like the next one is July 10th in Newport.

Andrew2222

The entry leel Kayaks is very simple and have no any latest equipements in this i am just defined a short about entry level Kayak for beginner that these Kayak is comes with 2 seats aone for beginner and other one is for guider and teo paddles with the safety belts and oxugen cylender and every thing is in this Kayaks not fishign bags fishn finder cameras and other latest euqpimenst in these Kayak ...

Last edited:

VATACO

Adventurer
I prefer a short 10ft SOT for paddling the canals and marsh areas of the Outer Banks of NC. It rides well on the bajarack on my Tacoma and is easy to portage and move around. I don't really fish out of it or do any real touring. Just a fun way to burn time and energy.

My girlfriend and I did a lot of research & boat testing this time last year.

We wanted versatility to ride ocean, flat rivers, lakes & class I-II river runs. We also wanted boats that could carry gear for overnights such as Main Island Trail.

After research & testing we both loved the Dagger Alchemy. A super nimble & very versatile boat.

In out first year we have been out all day on ocean, surfed waves, run moving rivers & relaxed with brews on flat lakes in the sun.

A boat worth checking out. Strong, versatile & does everything we want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach