EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
XJ is getting some shimmy at about 45 mph so it's time to start freshening up the front end.

Just placed an order on new ZJ steering components. Should be in tomorrow.

I'm gonna need a new TB too but I'm not putting money into a replacement stock unit.

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I love having the zj set up. Why a new tb? (I assume youre talking about the throttle body?) You might want to research pro/cons. Bigger tb can rob low end torque.

tjsean0308

For the price you absolutely cannot beat it. I have a swing-away style carrier on my TJ and honestly this one isn't much different. Slightly more inconvenient but having the spare out of the Jeep (and not on the roof) well outweighs having to lift the tire. It's only a 31 and I am a big guy, too, so for me it's a non-issue. I looked at numerous tire carrier bumpers and to me they are all overpriced and most look like cheap junk. Additionally, I don't really think the XJ body was designed to have much torsion on it from a big *** spare swinging off of one corner of it. Seems like a lot of them sag (even the $1200-1500 ones) and end up wrecking the unibody. Therefore, this carrier was a no-brainer for me.

Plus, Mark is great to deal with. Definitely an old-school Jeeper who knows his stuff.

Detour does some great stuff. I haven't heard that name in years when we has in CT. Glad he is still making XJ stuff.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Detour does some great stuff. I haven't heard that name in years when we has in CT. Glad he is still making XJ stuff.

Oh yes; he is alive and well.

I was so impressed with the carrier and (as silly as this sounds) the packaging job that I decided to give him some more business. Got some of his Unibody Rock Sliders on the way. You truly can tell when a company takes time to do things right and it was evident with his product.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Added a hi lift xtreme to the toolkit today. Just finished mounting it.

I am also about to place a rather large order. Jeep's suspension is fixin to get serious.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I've been really unhappy with my suspension setup - specifically the rear (extended shackles, relocation brackets, and replacement leaves [which are already sagged after less than a year]). I have spent an extensive amount of time figuring out what I want and what the Jeep really needs. All signs pointed in one direction and after some discussion I have placed a rather large order.

Metalcloak 3.5" is on its way!

HercDriver

Adventurer
I'm way overdue for an update. I'll type one out later but this should help in the meantime.
20151009_155617.png_zpslrjqzozq.jpeg

Alright, Im going to need the skinny on the tire carrier. I studied your pick and looked online but Id rather just ask you!

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Recently decided this Jeep needs to be locked as well. I've been more than pleased with the Spartan in the TJ so that is what I went with again.

Also picking up a HP30 tomorrow night. I figured if I am installing a whole new suspension and a locker I might as well pony up and get the better axle while I am at it. Plus I don't want to have to install the same locker twice whenever I inevitably went HP anyways.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Going with front/rear or just one only? Are you worried about the ratcheting while turning?

Recently decided this Jeep needs to be locked as well. I've been more than pleased with the Spartan in the TJ so that is what I went with again.

Also picking up a HP30 tomorrow night. I figured if I am installing a whole new suspension and a locker I might as well pony up and get the better axle while I am at it. Plus I don't want to have to install the same locker twice whenever I inevitably went HP anyways.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Just front I wouldn't want a lunchbox in the rear.

No on the racheting part either. The one in my TJ is invisible in 2wd 98% of the time. The only time it ratchets is when I am making a really tight u-turn.

HercDriver

Adventurer
Are you going with YUKON/SPARTAN/AUBURN/ARB? I guess what Im really asking is if its going to be a lunchbox locker? LOL

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel

Are you going with YUKON/SPARTAN/AUBURN/ARB? I guess what Im really asking is if its going to be a lunchbox locker? LOL

Spartan. See first post. :coffee:

I have one in the HP30 in my TJ on 35's and I have been more than pleased with it. Plus it is allegedly stronger and simpler than competitors. Strong and simple is the way I like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater