Expedition build platform

jmjnewbold

I'm new to off-roading, but I know what I would like to do. I am looking to build an expedition type vehicle with the capability to run trails like Rubicon and other legendary trails. Important factors to me are 1. the ability to comfortably seat my family of four. 2. Good aftermarket support. 3. Decent gas mileage. I have heard many good things about the Toyota Fzj80, but with a straight six gas mileage stinks. Is there a Land Rover with all the positives of the 80, but with mileage in the low 20's?

mongosd2

Adventurer
I'm new to off-roading, but I know what I would like to do. I am looking to build an expedition type vehicle with the capability to run trails like Rubicon and other legendary trails. Important factors to me are 1. the ability to comfortably seat my family of four. 2. Good aftermarket support. 3. Decent gas mileage. I have heard many good things about the Toyota Fzj80, but with a straight six gas mileage stinks. Is there a Land Rover with all the positives of the 80, but with mileage in the low 20's?

a diesle defender is the only thing LR makes that gets low 20's...

jmjnewbold

Can you purchase a diesel defender in the US? If so, does the defender have decent aftermarket support? What about off road capability?

spikemd

Explorer
LR never sold a diesel Defender in the US. You would have to get a conversion or imported truck. There are people importing Defenders 84 or older and getting the required docs to make them US legal. They come over in all conditions from $1000 vehicles to $60K. There are some diesel Defenders that people have already converted or you could do it yourself. I don't have a Defender, let alone a diesel, and I would imagine support for the diesel won't be as easy as support for a gas version.

Defenders have excellent offroad ability and plenty of upgrades available. The 90 is 2-door, the 110 is 4-door.

A RRC is a good choice or 2004 Disco II or a 2001-2002 P38 on coils, none get good gas mileage though. More offroad support for RRC and Disco.

Hmmm... your thought process is interesting... You say you want an 'expedition' type vehicle, but then your said you want a vehicle that can tackle the Rubicon trail. Usually, these two types of vehicle do not cross-over. Rubicon trail requires lots of clearance, big tires and a short-wheelbase, not the same focus as many expedition-type vehicles. Some do cross-over and Scott Brady did take the Earthroamer XVJP on the Rubicon though...

It all depends on your budget.

Spend some time looking at members build threads to get an idea of what you want.

jmjnewbold

Thank you for your advise. I will have to check out the build threads and maybe narrow down my decisions. I am mainly looking to build something that I can drive to the trails, wilderness, etc. and will hold my family and our gear while we are there, and then drive it home as well. Maybe this is not considered an expedition vehicle?

spikemd

Explorer
I am mainly looking to build something that I can drive to the trails, wilderness, etc. and will hold my family and our gear while we are there, and then drive it home as well. Maybe this is not considered an expedition vehicle?

No, I would consider that an expedition vehicle, but probably not the vehicle you are going to take on the Rubicon. Maybe you don't know what the Rubicon trail is like, but it is not for the weak and it is not for any stock or even lightly modified vehicle.

Check out some build threads, see what others have done and if it will suit your needs, check your pocketbook and then build it.

A vehicle choice is a very personal matter, as well as marque. Do some research. Everyone has an opinion and reasons why they chose their vehicle, but it may not be the same reasons you choose a vehicle.

Good luck.

Saratoga

Adventurer
Starting five parallel threads to ask the same question is rather lame

Depends where the OP started them. It is 'lame' if in the same section of the forum but asking to different sections will get different responses, depending on those users in those areas. Not everyone has the time to devote to the entire forum, especially one of this size.

GeoScum

Adventurer
Depends where the OP started them. It is 'lame' if in the same section of the forum but asking to different sections will get different responses, depending on those users in those areas. Not everyone has the time to devote to the entire forum, especially one of this size.

On all the boards I regularly view, actions such posting parallel threads are discouraged. I can see that this board does not really have any general or catch-all forums.

jmjnewbold

Thanks for this response. There is a reason why I posted this question in different forums, Why would a dedicated jeep guy look at the Land Rover or Toyota forum and vise versa? Since there is not a forum that applies to all vehicle makes, it makes sense to post multiple threads to get the opinion of those who drive different makes.

czenkov

Adventurer
Diesel will get you decent mileage. To get one though you would have to buy one with conversion or do it yourself. PA Blanchard has 110's LHD w/2.5L NAD. However the 110, 90 platform requires some "understanding". Like, have you drove an old leaf sprung jeep (or maybe coil) in the rain and cold? Because you are truly in the elements in a Defender style LR - with water leaking on you and the cold penetrating the seals. Some are well sorted though so this can be somewhat avoided.

:wings:I get 14mpg in the V8 90 and about 19 (highway) in the 2.25L (no overdrive) petrol SII. I love my 90 and SII - but they are not for everyone.:wings:

Wander

Expedition Leader
An FZJ80 doesn't get MPG in the 20's but I'm not sure if that was related or a goal for something you want.

In general "expedition" or overland builds will not be high MPG vehicles unless you get something with a diesel. Those are rare in the USA and often command a price premium.

A Discovery I or II are great platforms for a build but Land Rovers are not for everyone.

jmjnewbold

An FZJ80 doesn't get MPG in the 20's but I'm not sure if that was related or a goal for something you want.

In general "expedition" or overland builds will not be high MPG vehicles unless you get something with a diesel. Those are rare in the USA and often command a price premium.

A Discovery I or II are great platforms for a build but Land Rovers are not for everyone.

The MPG was a goal. From what I have read the FZJ80 gets around 12-15mpg. Why do you say that Land Rovers are not for everyone?

cosmic88

Observationalist
correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe it is not that Land Rovers are not for everyone (actually that is true.... however, that is for another thread) but that the Defender may not be. It is a bit a "harder" ride than the Disco and some of the creature comforts you might want on a long haul are not standard on D90's.

All that being said, the Defender and the Disco (early series models) use the same engine and drivetrain. Center of gravity, front and rear overhang and GVW are the only main differences. The defender and the Disco will take you to the same places in the world... the Disco will get you there more comfortably.

Also, with a fully laden (expedition ready) Discovery with V8 expect 10 - 14 mpg... Alot of it depends on tune and driving style.

ColoDisco

Explorer
When I started looking for a offroad vehicle I qualified it knowing I would get poor fuel economy given they did not import the diesel to the US. With that knowledge my next questions were comfort, then cost including maintenance and upgrades and finally why was it good offroad. I ended up with a 95 discovery. It helped I bought it for only $700 but it needed alot of maintenance. I spent the first year doing all the maintenance myself. In the past 7 months I started modifying it for offroad. The aftermarket support is amazing. The support group on the internet for repair and diagnosis is very extensive. I have only sunk about $2500 total into my vehicle. re my post in this forum about my 95 disco.

Will it tackle the Rubicon? Probably not. Can it be modified to? Sure with enough money anything can. Is it comfortable? Hell Yes!! I love my Disco.

My avg mpg runs about 17 highway and city. I am seeing about 22 highway only, having done pretty much all the maintenance possible.

Good luck with your search!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven