Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Alright so as has been discussed I bought a RAI for the sport. Yay! But as you can see by my friends expressions we were a little confused on how in gods name it could be waterproof.

Truth is the RAI isn't waterproof and you have to make it such which will be an upcoming project. For now however I can share a few bits from the install
First off you have to remove the stock grey panel covering the intake point. Its just a pull hard and hope it doesn't break step. Once removed you want to set the snorkel into place and use some sort of sharpie or pencil to mark where the drill holes need to be

Heres me checking the holes praying we wouldn't screw it up haha

Let the drilling begin! :Wow1:

Now to help make this more watertight we first sealed the inner layer that bumps up against the inner piece of the RAI. We figured this way we wouldn't have to remove the snorkel fully later

I was impressed that Land Rover actually made the somethings easy to fit. Once you've drilled the two small holes you pop in a threaded screw hole in each. From there its simply push the snorkel into the slot before screwing it down. Much better than it could have been

Obviously I have a lot of waterproofing to do but for now the RAI looks good and will help with dust on the mojave this weekend at least!

A.J.M

Explorer
I made the comment about them floating as there are a few posts on Disco3 and a couple of youtube video's of the aftermath of D3's driving into what looked like shallow waters, only to be swept away and written off.

Standing water, i've been bonnet height but kept moving. For water with a current, i don't really enter as it doesn't take much to sweep the rear round and then it's game over.

I like my D3 too much and have put 1/4 of what i bought it for in again for repairs and upgrades. So i play it safe.

Also, check the breather pipes are all clear, the D3 has an issue with the front diff one blocking so there is a upgraded part available for it.
Check yours and make sure they are all fine.

I know it may sound patronizing and i apologize if it comes across as such, but while you may be well used to off roading, someone else reading this may not be and could be spurred into checking the car or thinking a bit more about off roading safely and when to view turning back as not a mark of shame, but of good thinking.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
What are the thoughts on the safari snorkel or the cheap $130 versions on ebay....For raised air intake purposes only. I don't intend to ford waters above the intake anyway :)

I really like the looks of the OEM...but the cost is a bit obnoxious for plastic bits.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
A.J.M don't worry about sounding patronizing were all here to share opinions and learn! You make good points with the water height and I never plan on trying to go into deep waters. Its really only for emergency situations or crossings that can't be avoided. Ill be checking all the breather lines this week and making sure they are clear as well as sealing any electronics. Does anyone know where the air compressor breathes from? I could look it up but I was wondering if anyone knew off hand.

Brickpaul

Im not sure if the LR3 snorkel would fit this truck or not. They are close and they might but the body lines are different on the vehicles.

Mack73

Adventurer
Does anyone know where the air compressor breathes from? I could look it up but I was wondering if anyone knew off hand.

On the LR3 it is routed way up behind the driver's rear tire. I would assume the same location on the RRS

You can see it here as #11

25387d1274730717-factory-air-pump-alternative-lr3-air-line-routing-sketch.jpg

morrisdl

Adventurer
Mack that's an awesome diagram and very helpful. Do you have the full listing of the other components? What is 21? My 2006 LR3 has what looks like a couple air tanks above the spare tire.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Sorry for the confusion, I was asking about the cheap RAI for an LR3. I am curious because it is around $300 less. Granted, probably lower quality. However, I am not planning on pursuing the waterproof route.

Mack73

Adventurer
Mack that's an awesome diagram and very helpful. Do you have the full listing of the other components? What is 21? My 2006 LR3 has what looks like a couple air tanks above the spare tire.

Nope, but 21 is the air compressor tank. It runs along the frame rail under the driver's seat. Nothing air compressor related back by the spare tire. Only thing I can think of is there are 2 harmonic weights up there.
One of the best way to get these things is to a google image search with the site filter for "site:disco3.co.uk". Then just browse through pages and pages of pictures and technical images.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Very cool diagram thanks for posting! does anyone know what happens to this compressor if it indeed turns on while underwater if the intake is above the water line? I would assume there would be some issues unless the compressor is 100% contained. Also I've been contemplating mounting an ARB compressor elsewhere in the vehicle and running an emergency line in case of compressor failure. It theoretically shouldn't be hard to do. You would just have to know the stock air pressures and keep a shut off valve on until you need it.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Picture taken from trailer hitch location. Three cylinders above rear axle. I thought they were air tanks, so what are they really?
20140415_213121.jpg

Last edited:

Eniam17

Adventurer
I thought that's what your picture was sorry I didn't look closely I was viewing from a phone. Sorry for misinformation

Mack73

Adventurer
Sorry I can't see anything in that photo. I'll try to get under my truck later today and see if I an find what you are talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater