Expedition Trailer Concept Feedback, Please!

Mr. King

Undecided
I dig trailers!

Old Trailer:
M416 variant, 4'W x6'L x 26"H with an Eezi Awn Series 3, 1.8m RTT.

Challenges:
We're not tall enough to access anywhere but around the edges of the trailer without having to crawl in.
No, I'm 6' tall and the open trailer rim was just below chest level. You've been there!
Wife not able to raise lid by herself. She's not weak, the lift cylinders were installed incorrectly.
Wasted, inconvenient space. Stuff piled on other stuff.
No room for a fridge.

So... After much discussion with my better half and, especially after having my arm eaten while attempting to change
one of the struts on the lid (regardless of how they were mounted), I decided there has to be a better way.
I sold the body off of the other trailer within a month!

What to do with a high quality, bare chassis? What to do?

Criteria:
Access by opening doors rather than lifting a lid.
Ability to carry long, slender objects inside without losing floor space, i.e., EZ Up, fishing poles, etc.
Space for 80L fridge w/ jacket on slide.
Space for on board battery(s).
Useable overhead space inside.
Plenty of space on the exterior to mount rotopax, sand ladders, gas cylinders and the like.
Relatively light weight.

Body Design

Here is what I came up with:
Overall Dimensions: 4'W x 7'L x 3' 2"H
Construction: 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" plywood
Weight: TBD

Overhead from front with the top removed.
Long block on right is scale Oz Tent RV-2, 6'L x 10"W x 6"H.
Front Overhead Topless.jpg

LH Door. Small blocks inside door are scale Group 34M batteries. A
shelf could be mounted above or larger batteries stacked.
Large block is scale back of 80L fridge.
Top block is scale Oz Tent RV-2.
LH Door.jpg

RH Door. Front scale of 80L fridge with jacket.
A shelf could be installed above the fridge.
RH Door.jpg

Rear door. Long block in upper left corner is scale Oz Tent RV-2.
Overhead are 2" holes and slots for fishing poles, to hang a net, etc.
Forward bulkhead has slots for air circulation and to allow lashing.
Need to model tie down rails for floor.
Slots in side of tent tray for hanging items.
Rear Int Detail.jpg

X-ray views to see relationships.
X-Ray Relationships.jpg

RR Quarter View.jpg

Roof is arched. Roof rack would require feet instead of rails to allow runoff.

A table would have to mounted under a roof rack unless it is shorter than 4'6". It could
then be stood on edge inside the body.

There is plenty of room on the bulkhead above and aft of the batteries to mount
just about any kind of electrical management system. Body structure allows multiple
avenues for wire runs.

Body design allows easy drafting changes for configuration variation.

Still working on door hinge and latch setups.

I still need to model the trailer chassis and fenders I have. Coming soon.

I am interested in your observations and feedback.

Thanks, Mr. King

bonomonster

Adventurer
You may want to add a rack and/or a shelf to the rear door. My FJ has a side opening rear door like your trailer and one of the best and most useful modifications are folding racks. Something like this rack from Springtail Solutions.

http://www.springtailsolutions.com/shop/fj-cruiser/fj-cruiser-rear-door-folding-molle-rack/

The bags will give you tons of space for all the little things you don't want floating around everywhere, an the shelf is nice as a counter or even just to temporarily hold things while you pack the rest of the trailer.

CCFD170

Adventurer
Awesome looking design! Sorry to hijack but are you using the free sketchup or pro?? Nice work on the computer.

Accrete

Explorer
Nice looking design on trailer!

(and bonomonster...thx for the link to the spring tail solutions site, great items. I already have some MOLLE gear in our van and found one at their site i'll add to our rig)

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I've had similar thoughts for years - really like your design. The idea that it could be removed and stored, using the tub for utility hauling etc., is one aspect of using the M416 frame that appeals to me.
I'd want water tank, swing/slide out kitchen, water heater (small on-demand type), with awning connection to the OzTent (oh, and gotta be longer for the RV-5!).
Subscribed!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Very nice! I like how you really analyzed your needs and wants... And your sketch up is good too! ;)

Mr. King

Undecided
Wow! Thanks y'all!

Lots to a answer...

The back door is going to have some stiffening because of the size. I may try to work some storage into that.

I want to add a water tank and have a heater. The tank would be mounted in the chassis to keep the weight low. I thought about the slide out kitchen but we like to camp in bear country sometimes and prepping away from the house is very desireable.

I looked a long time for something that would fit my wants. Contacted Outlander Trailers and found that they no longer sell to the public. They were the closest to what I had envisioned. Importing from overseas is problematic at best so I figured, if I am going to have to build it, I might as well get exactly what I want.

Right now I'm using the free version of SketchUp and this is my most complicated project yet. Trying to figure out now what needs to be done to convert it to a useable CNC router file.

I appreciate your feedback.

To continue the critique... What would you change, add or delete?

Beers, Mr. King

bonomonster

Adventurer
Give it to me when you're done.

Lol...... Yea, build 4-5 of them and let us all test them out. After a few months we will all write reviews. This way the last one you build and keep will be 100% perfect with no need for revisions.

An idea I have been toying with for when I build a trailer is using a toolbox from a mid size pick up as a kitchen setup. I've been thinking it might work well mounted on the tongue with a set of slides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner