Expedition vehicle transmissions: Auto or manual?

kfgk14

Adventurer
I've noticed that regardless of make/model, there are always users of both options (when both options are available) from LC's, Rovers, and Mitsubishi's, to Jeeps and US full-size trucks.

So, I'd like to hear the rationale in the context of overlanding (or your other uses for your rig, if applicable) for your use/preference of an auto or manual transmission. Does it change depending on what vehicle/transmission is available? How do features like overdrive, manual/sport/tiptronic shifting on an auto transmission, etc. fit into your choice?

Thanks.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It all depends on what you - and anyone else driving your vehicle - likes and is comfortable with.

Some automatics are problematic - and some manuals are problematic. Either can be fixed with the right application of $$$ - so it really boils down to what you like, & what you can get in the vehicle that you want.

doug720

Expedition Leader
One factor for me makes a manual the best choice, bump starting. Yes I know you can't always push your vehicle, but many times you can.

Another issue for me is towing. I flat tow my 60, and with the auto that is not an option.

Autos are good, and in some situations better than a manual, but I'll keep my manual.

Doug

toymaster

Explorer
^^^^ your build link does not work. A 60 body and a modern diesel sounds great.

As far as manual vs auto I prefer manual in all situations besides city traffic. The more complex and parasitic design of autos have always personnally put me off. Since I messed up and bought my '98 ctd with an auto I have not bought an auto since. I'll keep buying manuals as long as they make them.

iMTB

Adventurer
I am a firm advocate of manual. There are too many ways to accidentally drain the battery on an expo vehicle. Push starting saves the day.

Now on the other hand autos have their places to shine too. This debate is hugely driver preference. It's like do you prefer leather or cloth?

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've driven a lotta manuals and a lotta autos---for off-road use I prefer the auto for easy rocking/climbing/towing and slow crawling, plus-

Water crossings are a cinch with the auto and can be the ruin of a manual-

Off-road towing is a pleasure with an auto-

I'll never own another manual--strictly personal-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I have a manual and to be quite frank, I have no idea how to use an automatic :) They have all these buttons with + - on the steering wheel !! ******

keezer37

Explorer
I've owned a number of each. Mostly autos (70%). I'd rather have an auto to get unstuck. I've never had a major problem with either.
I've had autos start to give me trouble but the vehicles were usually at the end of their life span anyways. Actually, needing a new auto trans is about the strongest indication that's it's time for a new vehicle. I hate that time in a vehicle's life when you have to decide whether a vehicle is worth a major repair or not. Having to consider the purchase of a new automatic transmission makes that decision easier. Though there are less things to break in a manual, I think the technology in autos is far enough along that this as an issue is negligible. Off road, I'd just as soon not have a clutch and shift competing for my attention.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
My daily driver is manual.. my offroader is automatic.

I love driving the manual daily car. So much fun in a manual trans. Haven't really experienced an offroader in manual though. My first thoughts are that (maybe because of my in-experience) I want all of my attention to be on the road and the bumps and the making sure I don't misplace myself and roll or anything. I don't want to be having to think about clutches and gears.. I'd rather just worry about gas and brake. But again, that might be my offroading in-experience talking..

Definitely subscribing to this one to see what the pro's and con's are of this. :lurk:

earthmuffin

Observer
These days it's a lot harder to drink my coffee and drive a stick....
And every other aspect of my life is complicated enough that I prefer to just push on the gas and go.....
Oh yeah, and a manual wasn't available in my burb......
I guess I'll stick with auto.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
A couple more thoughts . . .

I always liked the manual in my Jeep (TJ rubicon) for crawling. With a 66:1 crawl ratio & two air lockers, the amount of control was incredible. There is a solid and controllable connection between the engine and the ground that you just don't get with the automatics. I could keep power to the wheels at 3mph without slipping the clutch. If you need to go slower - just slip the clutch (you're doing it at or near idle & for very brief intervals - so burning the clutch up isn't a concern). I always felt a close connection with the ground in the Jeep - I knew how to get it to do what I wanted. It was just plain fun to drive on technical trails.

In my Dodge (automatic), it's different story. I don't have that connection with the road/trail, but the truck is more of a traveling vehicle compared to a play vehicle - so I don't really need that connection. It's quieter, more comfortable on rough roads, gets better fuel economy, has more room (camper) etc. I use it for a different type of travel than what I used the Jeep for - and where the manual transmission complimented the type of driving I did in the Jeep, the automatic transmission compliments the different style of travel I do in the truck.

In the end - its still about which you prefer for your application. Don't stop exploring just because you have the 'wrong' transmission . . .

Will Riggs

Observer
I would like to say that I agree with just about everything stated thus far in this thread, even the difficulty of morning coffee with the manual. I have owned several automatic XJs and my current ZJ began it's life as an auto as well. I can honestly say I wouldn't have done the swap if the auto hadn't crapped out AND if I hadn't found a good donor vehicle at the local pull a part. With all of that being said, the same vehicle/lift/tire combo seems 100 percent better as a manual on and off road. For off road I installed a hand throttle that makes stop and go on inclines a breeze, and has taken the "bouncyness" of my foot out of the equation while crawling.

It's all about preference, but had I not done this swap I would say a properly setup automatic for the do-it-all type of rig.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
you can bump start a automatic if you have the right automatic (Mercedes but you need to tow it over 25 mph or something)..

Automatic - fluid needed, newer ones lots of gears, ECU controlled (example loss of speed sensor = limp mod)...

Standard -some really poor designed boxes. But, you can get really tough boxes (light duty truck versions). Compression braking. Fluid not as important (limping home).

I have rebuilt both....and after that I will never own a automatic truck for exploring. KISS principle for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk