Expo Suburban/Tahoe thread

TurboChris

Adventurer
I love my Suburban. It's a 98 2500. Rides like a dream and ZERO complaints except the gas mileage. And as others have said..if I can fit through it....I can pretty much make it anywhere.

IMG_6785.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

2 E L O

Adventurer
I just discovered this forum! Loving it!!!

I have an '07 Tahoe to which I've done some mild modifications.... Soon after getting it (about three years ago) I had it on a trail in Colorado and it was very apparent that it needed some work to be practical off road. The front of the vehicle sat extremely low to the ground and the plastic air dam hung even further down...I ripped it off about three times before I finally got the leveling kit installed. I also just trimmed up the air dam instead of taking it off so you can't see the extremely ugly mounting tabs.

So far I've done:

CCM 2.5" front/1" rear leveling kit
285/70-17 GY Duratracs
Eibach rear sway bar
Hypertech "tuner"--basically worthless in regards to performance/economy, but nice for correcting speedo for tire size, shift points, rev limiter, etc.
K&N CAI
Gibson cat-back
Corvette 2nd gear servo and 4th gear super hold servo
6000K HID lows and 3000K HID fogs
20% tint over factory all the way around
De-badged, de-moulded, trimmed air dam, removed running boards

I don't do any serious Overland/Exploring but I love taking road trips, camping, and getting off the beaten path. A couple photos:

towing.jpg

Only photo I have as it currently sits...but I had my old Mustang on a trailer behind the Tahoe.

photo_830.jpg

When I had the Police Tahoe wheels mounted up and the running boards were still on...

bfdiesel

Explorer
So far all I have done is 700r4/np208 to sm465/np205 and put bigger tires on. So far it has tackled what I have thrown at it.Library - 3233.jpgLibrary - 3228.jpgLibrary - 3224.jpg

cnatalie

I've got an 01 Yukon Xl with the air ride or auto ride, whatever, I want to lift it and shoe it with larger tires but I still want it to fit into the garage. Besides the obvious, what is the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 lift? If I want 33s, what is the smallest lift I need? Or do I even need a lift? Torsion Bars cranked? Theres so many opinions out there, I would really just like someone to say, "this lift, this backspacing on the rims, XX tire width..." Remember, I only need 33s.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I love my 92 Suburban, before this i had a 95 Suburban, and im sure ill always have atleast one suburban. Being able to take all out gear without a trailer is great, and being able to sleep comfortably in the back is a great advantage. Heres mine now.

1992 K2500 Suburban
454 tbi engine
4l80e tranny
3.73 gears
14 bolt full float axle in rear with g80
Geolander A/Ts tires
12k Engo winch
Custom bumper
Dually D2 LED offroad lights (2600 lumens each)
Smittybilt trail jack
etc..

a78787e1.jpg

b1f5d79d.jpg

41928c99.jpg

8fc94bd5.jpg

Superu

Explorer
I've got an 01 Yukon Xl with the air ride or auto ride, whatever, I want to lift it and shoe it with larger tires but I still want it to fit into the garage. Besides the obvious, what is the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 lift? If I want 33s, what is the smallest lift I need? Or do I even need a lift? Torsion Bars cranked? Theres so many opinions out there, I would really just like someone to say, "this lift, this backspacing on the rims, XX tire width..." Remember, I only need 33s.
I have an 03 Suburban with 33's and a Truxxx leveling kit which includes rear coil spacers and front shock entenders.

My truck has the factory self leveling shocks. There is a big difference between air ride and auto. The factory self leveling shocks are a design called Nivomat and are quite remarkable. Google the word for a detailed video showing how they work. They are expensive, but they work very well.

There is no need to crank the torsion bars when you use a leveling kit because the kit includes re-indexed keys that allow the height increase you want without adding more stress to the bars. You can use Ford keys as well. I just went with the kit for ease of selection rather than having to worry that I may have pulled the wrong Ford part number of the web! I set my keys to provide 2" of lift in the front and have been very happy with it.

I run the factory 16" wheels with 33" equivalent tires. Go to miata.net and check out the tire calculator to see the tread width and tire size height equivalents to the metric sizes.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

arveetek

Adventurer
I love my Tahoe!

102_3093.JPG

She's a 95 2 door with the factory 6.5L turbo diesel.

I'm just now getting into this overlanding/expedition gig. I've been off-roading for several years, having fun with my Jeep TJ. I think overlanding is more fun, however. I love my Tahoe more than my Jeep! (Don't let the Jeep guys hear this!)

The 2 door fits the bill great...not so large that you can't take it down trails, but big enough to haul all the gear you need and still sleep in the back with the rear seat folded down.

When my wife and kids ride in the Jeep, there's no room left for any cargo! At least in the Tahoe, I still have tons of space and carrying capacity.

The only real drawback is that in my neck of the woods, the trails are so narrow, it's hard to squeeze down them without serious body damage. The Jeep is better suited for that. But otherwise, the Tahoe wins hands down in my book.

PA290127.JPG

She's pretty much stock, but I'm planning some larger tires to help with ground clearance. I'd like to do a lift, but the IFS makes it harder to do a "mild" lift.

I'm in the process of debadging her and cleaning up the exterior some.

Did I say I love my Tahoe? :D

PA290084.JPG

Casey

kd0ezq

Subscribing! Im on my 5th suburban, that has included 3 89 -91's, a 92 and now a 2001. I love them and wouldnt have anything else. The wife has an 01 Tahoe too. I have to say, the 2001 is the quietest nicest suburban I have ever owned. It has 268k on the clock but drives just as nice as her 168k tahoe...

cumminsbronco

I've got a 97 Suburban K1500 that I've had since new. It has 238K on the clock now, with the last 1000 miles being powered by the 12 valve Cummins diesel, NV4500 5 sp manual transmission, with Ford 1 ton axles. I tried to keep it as low as possible with the front solid axle swap but looks like I've ended up with about a 4 inch lift over stock. It gets great fuel milage for a big pig.....20-25 mpg depending on conditions, so far. (still have a couple tweaks to do that might help milage) It's my trailer pulling, gear hauling hunting vehicle, that serves up well. I can't wait to use it more for what it's designed to do now. A few pictures posted up at www.dieselsnguns.blogspot.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven