Extracting Cars from Snow

computeruser

Explorer
Depends on the vehicle being pulled out. I have two towing clusters, plus the winch/straps/chains, that ride in the Jeep in the winter. Except for those vehicles that have totally slipped off the roadway and down a major ditch, most cars don't need that much help to get back out the way they came in. Prior to buying the towing clusters, I used a smaller shackle through a tie-down point for gentle pulls, with the appropriate disclaimers.

Having a couple good shovels in the vehicle NEVER hurts in the winter. I usually find that if you dig 2x-3x as much as you think you need to dig, one can drive the vehicle right out with a couple folks pushing. The key is to have the right type(s) of shovel for your conditions. In the past 4 years, I have not had to pull a single vehicle out of anything, just a bit of shoveling and sometimes, a bit of salt, sand or a broken tree branch under a slipping tire.

I won't yank other vehicles unless the owner is "one of us," with a solid frame vehicle and proper recovery points. And I'll usually refrain from pulling (winch or chain) any vehicle unless no other option exists and the person understands what they are agreeing to having me do. I'd much rather donate my shovel time than break stuff on either vehicle.

Bill Beers

Explorer
August said:
I actually encountered a similar problem the first time I ran sweep in a rally - my 3/4" clevis shackles were too big for some of the tow points on the rally car. I ended up having to buy an assortment of shackles for my recovery strap.

I know what you mean August. I've got a pair of 5/8" shackles for just that reason.

-Bill

FrozenZJ

I learned the hard way once having the other person hook up the chain I used to carry. It ended up going through my windshield.

Now either I hook it up or I check it to make sure. but these days I either use the strap with both ends locked in using a clevis or I would rather use the winch and do a nice slow even pull if the conditions allow.

Or I give them a ride. Some people kinda deserve a hard lesson it seems. Like the guy I ran across that took a camaro way up into the mountains and got high centered. Hard lessons made me think about things more.

HDM

Observer
mrstang01 said:
I hook to the tie down points if at all possible, most newer cars have them.

I'm wondering if tie down points are really appropriate for tow or tug purposes? I know they "can" be used, but I'm wondering if the "should" be used. I had always understood the factory tie down points on most modern vehicles were intended soley for securing vehicles to pallats/trailers, etc. but not designed to withstand the stress of being tugged, towed, or winched. Was that some sort of myth or is there some truth to the notion? Thanks.

KG6BWS

Explorer
HDM said:
I'm wondering if tie down points are really appropriate for tow or tug purposes? I know they "can" be used, but I'm wondering if the "should" be used. I had always understood the factory tie down points on most modern vehicles were intended soley for securing vehicles to pallats/trailers, etc. but not designed to withstand the stress of being tugged, towed, or winched. Was that some sort of myth or is there some truth to the notion? Thanks.

ive pulled a number of cars out of mud, sand, and snow using the tie down points. but thats why i always use my winch. it allows a much more even, steady pulling pressure than tugging with a strap does. it also allows me a better vantage point to watch for any problems. i put the hood up in case the cable breaks and just look around the side of it. its better than watching thru my mirrors. plus i can stop pulling and go check things. ive only had one instance where i started to tear the frame but i caught it in time to not do more than just bow the metal a little bit.

SEREvince

Adventurer
Last month a good friend went off the road in wet condtions. There was nothing on his vehicle for me to hook to. Short story: It ended up costing him $300 in fines and tow bills. (Automatic 100 Euro fine for leaving the roadway). I was 5 mins away and would have had him out in under a minute.

I was thinking that a 8-10ft section of synthetic line with eyes spliced in each end with two transit clusters would be just the trick for just about any car recovery, basically creating a "yoke" or "harness".

Are there any potential pitfalls with a light side load on synthetic lines?

I do have chain, but it is just too heavy and unwieldly to carry day to day. Plus I think the potential for damage is much higher with a chain.

michaelgroves

Explorer
SEREvince said:
I was thinking that a 8-10ft section of synthetic line with eyes spliced in each end with two transit clusters would be just the trick for just about any car recovery, basically creating a "yoke" or "harness".

Are there any potential pitfalls with a light side load on synthetic lines?

I do have chain, but it is just too heavy and unwieldly to carry day to day. Plus I think the potential for damage is much higher with a chain.

IMO, unless you're using a winch, you need to have a bit of "give" in your rigging, to deal with the shock loads inevitably involved in towing with another vehicle. So I don't like chain, or winch rope of any kind. There are lots of bridles and tow ropes that are excellent, so there are not many benefits to using a synthetic winch rope.

I do like that it's light and compact, though!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have worked as a tow truck driver off and on for years.

if its a car genraly u are on a paved road way

all new cars suck to tow

i have bridals i use on and off the truck. I buy the no longer usable ones. Dot regs require us to throw them out after so long or so maney tows.

i would almost never yank a car tow gently or winch.

the newer chrysler cars require to be towed threw the wheels and to be tied down as so

viter

Adventurer
FYI, don't know about other cars but some european cars, like VW and Audi have a "towing eyebolt" included in their standard tire change kit. usually ther is a small plastic cover on the front and rear bumpers of such cars that hides the threaded hole where this "towing eyebolt" is to be threaded into. I've used such eyebolt one time to tow my wife's Audi A4 for like 15-20 miles home when it's transmission broke down in Mexico (she used to live in Mexico). I used my 30000 lbs rated elastic nylon off-road recovery strap to hook her car to my truck and it worked well since it is made to give you some elastic give.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
viter said:
FYI, don't know about other cars but some european cars, like VW and Audi have a "towing eyebolt" included in their standard tire change kit. usually ther is a small plastic cover on the front and rear bumpers of such cars that hides the threaded hole where this "towing eyebolt" is to be threaded into.

My WRX wagon comes with a towing eyebolt. The screw point on the WRX is hidden behind the fog light bezel.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Fifthpro said:
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/87/Towing

Look into these, but with anything conduct your recovery carefully. I own two for the reasons you mention.....

I know I'm coming into this discussion late, but I also have a couple 'Transit Clusters' from Mac's, and let me tell you - they are worth their weight in gold!

IMO, there's nothing better for recovering a vehicle that has no adequate recovery points. When I lived in Northern Illinois, in the winter time, the Transit Cluster was the most valuable item in my recovery kit (besides the winch!).

513_l.jpg

KG6BWS

Explorer
SAR_Squid79 said:
I know I'm coming into this discussion late, but I also have a couple 'Transit Clusters' from Mac's, and let me tell you - they are worth their weight in gold!

IMO, there's nothing better for recovering a vehicle that has no adequate recovery points. When I lived in Northern Illinois, in the winter time, the Transit Cluster was the most valuable item in my recovery kit (besides the winch!).

513_l.jpg

hehe...i should get a set of those and j hooks and start charging people. around here, if it even LOOKS like it might rain or snow, people start sliding off the road.

balexander87

Observer
As someone who daily drives a vehicle with no obvious tow points (2008 Saturn Vue), is there anything I can do to alleviate this issue? I've been searching for solutions to no avail, so now I appeal to the masses.

I live in lake effect snow country and often have to travel in less than ideal conditions. I drive pretty conservatively, but always wonder when it will be my turn. If/when that time comes, I'd like to have a simple way to get a tug out of the ditch. I also like to explore the local forest roads and whatnot, but feel that if I'm going to be out there, it's my responsibility to prepare my vehicle to be easily extricated if/when I exceed its capabilities. Obviously, I'm not being stupid out there, but feel tow points is just due diligence.

I have a Curt Class III hitch installed in the rear. Would this be considered a usable tow point? Seems like it would.

For the front, the most interesting thing I've found is a removable eye-bolt for and Opel/Vauxhall Antara from which this generation VUE was copied. I don't see the same tab on the subframe that the bolt would attach to tho, and in any case it looks like it hangs down low and further reduces the front ground clearance....

Another interesting thing I've seen is a kit for adding a tow bar to the front of the vehicle so it can be towed behind an RV. These require some minor modification of the front bumper fascia, but do not hang down low. Seems like I could fab a bracket to mount to the same holes in the subframe and extend a hook out through the bumper. Only thing is, with the tow bar kit, there is a cross-piece that links the two sides of the subframe together, reinforcing them. If I were to just pull on one side, would this cause any issues?

Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. To preempt the obvious "replace it with [insert 4x4 of choice here]", I'd love to, and plan to eventually. For what I have time to do these days, the VUE works great for me, so I'm just trying to make the most of it until which time it no longer suits my needs.

CyD5yXr.jpg

Last edited:

spikemd

Explorer
The rear tow hitch should get you out of a bind, as most people bury the front of the vehicle, not the rear. Sounds like a strap through the tires would be your second option. Keep straps or kinetic rope with you in case you get stuck.

Last spring, we were wheeling in the snow and I got high centered. I tried my Warn winch, but it started smoking (later found a loose connection). We used a kinetic strap and it was pretty amazing. It stretched to like 30% longer and then recoils to yank the vehicle free. I was expecting a hard pull, but it was really smooth and pulled me right out. We used the strap a few times for other rigs that day and I have since purchased one. Bubba rope is a brand, but you can find many options out there. I highly recommend it for recovery and is much smoother, safer and more effective than the flat straps.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
A proper kinetic rope or strap is what I reach for 99 times out of 100. Winch for me stuck and no help around or really technical extrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman