F series / econoline compatability

CLynn85

Explorer
So I'm not a van expert, so this might be totally off but...

What are the similarities between an E-150 and F-150 truck chassis? Looking at an 03 model van wheelbase and long bed pickup wheelbase, they're the same dimension, and the same powertrain, is it the same basic chassis?

The reason I ask is...

There's a lot of used high mileage vans around, but very few 4x4, and there are a lot of 4x4 f-series trucks around, so wouldn't it be feasible to put a van body on the 4x4 chassis?

Just something to keep the gears in my mind turning.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Different frames, so a frame swap is out of the question. The 4x4 components from the F series can be used to put under a van, but there are many variables, such as the different suspension styles under the trucks ( IFS, TTB, Sold Axle) And nothing is going to be bolt up. The Ford vans have had a 138" wheelbase since 75.

SC-Surfer

Observer
Alrighty then, scratch that.... Thanks for the response.

I miss the TTB Fords.

It's not exactly plug'n'play, but the simple route is to weld in leaf spring mounts, bolt on a solid axle, then mount/fab the driveline stuff. Not all that hard but certainly not bolt on. I spent a lot of time trying to make it a bolt on thing and it just won't happen.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It's not exactly plug'n'play, but the simple route is to weld in leaf spring mounts, bolt on a solid axle, then mount/fab the driveline stuff. Not all that hard but certainly not bolt on. I spent a lot of time trying to make it a bolt on thing and it just won't happen.

I make brackets to bolt up the front hangers. Weld in a sleeve for the shackle, and it's ready for the axle. Check out my site----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3