F150 trucks

Jerry

Adventurer
Thanks for the link to the 4x4 Posi Lock, I didn't know they made them for the F150. I have one in my Wrangler YJ and it works okay so I am comfortable with the idea. I still feel better with individual lock-out hubs, but will certainly keep the Posi Locks in mind for later in the year when I improve/replace the F150 factory automatic hubs.

Last edited:

txflyyaker

Observer
Did not have to cut fenders. Removed filler panel between factory bumper and grill and headlights. That is a Trail Ready winch bumper and the fender flares are from ATS. The flares didn't need to be cut either. The front flares came in two pieces, I didn't need to use the piece that attaches to the filler panel. Worked out perfect.

Ala5ka

VX'er
To me it seems that we in the F150 community aspire to do great things to our rig, but they never come to fruition. For me the only things I foresee happening in the next few months are beefier skids, and rock sliders. I want to see someone make a dedicated Expo rig out of their late model fitty so I can be inspired :) We have lots of potential and we need to show the Expo community that the F150 can be a great adventure rig as capable as any other. My ultimate dream includes lockers, bumpers, and more gear but money is as always a consideration. I'm really excited for the future of our trucks as great Expo rigs, peace.

BTW I'm in SoCal for a few months if anybody wants to meet up for a nice little run :)

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
To me it seems that we in the F150 community aspire to do great things to our rig, but they never come to fruition. For me the only things I foresee happening in the next few months are beefier skids, and rock sliders. I want to see someone make a dedicated Expo rig out of their late model fitty so I can be inspired :) We have lots of potential and we need to show the Expo community that the F150 can be a great adventure rig as capable as any other. My ultimate dream includes lockers, bumpers, and more gear but money is as always a consideration. I'm really excited for the future of our trucks as great Expo rigs, peace.

BTW I'm in SoCal for a few months if anybody wants to meet up for a nice little run :)

im working on it, im working on it :sombrero:

emoddriver

I am working on it as well. Most of the stuff I have done are a result of issues or needs that arose when I have been out on 1-2 week jaunts such as my transmission pan protection. The question I constantly ask myself is how much do I really need and are the tradeoffs (cost, weight, etc.) for a given bit of gear really worth it? As an example right now I am debating the differential combination I want as I will be putting some 4.10 gears in and my existing rear diff is mostly an open diff now. Truetrac's all around? Detroit in back? Its always a tradeoff...

-Mark

jonzer12

With the long wheelbase of a F-150 I would not hesitate to go full locker in the rear over a trutrac. I locked the rear of my 01 F-150 as soon as I bought it and it drove fine.

scoby41

Just picked up a '95 f150 on eBay. It needs work, but it's got 9" of lift and some decent tread left on 37" super swampers. The first thing I plan on swapping out is the front bumper for one with a winch mount, rhino lining the bed and ditching the dual exhaust for a simple single setup and removing the train horns. Try and get some pictures this weekend. :coffeedrink:

Jerry

Adventurer
Jerry's F-150

alvord119.jpg

TROUT CREEK MOUNTAINS, WEST OF MC DERMITT NEAR THE OREGON-NEVADA BORDER

Mine is a 2002 F-150 7700 Series with 37,000 miles on the clock. It has a leveling kit, LT255/85R16 (33x10) MT tires, a Warn Trans4Mer bolt-on winch mount with a 12,000# winch, dual batteries, Flip-Pac canopy, ham radio gear, etc. so I have already made a sizeable (to me) commitment to the F-150 platform.

My current problem is how to increase gasoline storage. I have talked with the "big" name aftermarket fuel tank manufactures and none of them offer a solution. If anyone has first hand experience at solving this problem I would sure appreciate hearing about it.

Last edited:

Bob599

Observer
I looked at a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and a F150 a year ago and went with the F150 (2009). LOVE IT!. After comparing the two for a extended test drive the Rubicon left me wanting. I have to use it as a daily driver and the F150 is like driving a cadilac. Quiet comfortable with all the amenities. The Jeep was like driving a Jeep. It was cool but the cool would start to wear off. Also the 09 came with a 36 gallon tank and I routinely get around 19-20 MPG on the freeway! Yes its a 4x4 XLT with the 5.4V8. I will make some improvements to the 4 wheel drive system but so do Jeep owners so I think its a wash there. Then compare payload, and expo camping options and the F150 comes way ahead. I can go cheap cap to full blown hard side camper and still have plenty of power to tow the toys.

Yes its big and maybe no rock crawling without some major changes, but for me it was the best choice. I think iif more people took a hard look at what they are really using it for they might come to the same conclusion.

Oh and with the rebate it was only 29,000.00! Thats about 6,000 cheaper than a Tacomah with a V6, that has less of everything and worse milage! Also about 7,000 cheaper than the Jeep. You can do alot of drive train changes and suspension upgrades for 7,000.

Now if I just had some cash to do these upgrades.

Ala5ka

VX'er
for me the things I want to do keep growing. In a perfect world I'd get 4" lift Deaver spring pack, 4" suspension lift for the front, ARB locker front and rear, both new bumpers and a front winch, and I will adding more plates to the undercarriage as well as Diff protection, and sliders. My concern is moohlah haha. It seems for the price of bumpers and lockers alone I can get a Toyota that's already been built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebis