F150 vs Tundra....I’ll make a decision tomorrow

D

Deleted member 9101

Inferior? Not in long term reliability; the Tundra is superior there.

I'm just going to throw the BS flag on that. The current model F150 has not been out long enough to gather "long term" data. At most you have 4 years of data, that's hardly "long term." Also, in 2018 there was a refresh and drive trane updates.

Now, I'm going to go enjoy my inferior F150 ... With it's beefy block, forged internals, and modern safety features. Probably going to hit the track this weekend and flat out obliterate a few overly cocky Tundra owners. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just going to throw the BS flag on that. The current model F150 has not been out long enough to gather "long term" data.

Look man, everyone on this forum gets that you're an F150 guy, and one who just keeps going and going and has to have the last word at that. When you say stuff like this, it takes everything you post and makes it look like it's coming from either a troll or a guy who works for Ford's PR department. Throw the BS flag all you want, but it stands that the Tundra is more reliable over the long term than the F150. Lots of other data points favor the F150. I'm not disputing any of those. Can we be fine with all the facts and not just the ones that make your truck look good?

At most you have 4 years of data, that's hardly "long term."

Exactly. You're proving my point. This is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread. You have to take that 87.6/100 rating for the 2015-2019 F-series pickups with a grain of salt because the data isn't long term.

Now, I'm going to go enjoy my inferior F150 ... With it's beefy block, forged internals, and modern safety features. Probably going to hit the track this weekend and flat out obliterate a few overly cocky Tundra owners. :)

Enjoy away! No one is stopping you or telling you that you shouldn't. ?

D

Deleted member 9101

UUUUMMMM YEAAAAAAAH......Because we buy half-ton trucks to "hit the track". hahahahahahahhaha

I did.

In fact, there is no shortage of trucks when I go to the track.

D

Deleted member 9101

Look man, everyone on this forum gets that you're an F150 guy, and one who just keeps going and going and has to have the last word at that. When you say stuff like this, it takes everything you post and makes it look like it's coming from either a troll or a guy who works for Ford's PR department. Throw the BS flag all you want, but it stands that the Tundra is more reliable over the long term than the F150. Lots of other data points favor the F150. I'm not disputing any of those. Can we be fine with all the facts and not just the ones that make your truck look good?

Exactly. You're proving my point. This is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread. You have to take that 87.6/100 rating for the 2015-2019 F-series pickups with a grain of salt because the data isn't long term.

Enjoy away! No one is stopping you or telling you that you shouldn't. ?

I am not an "F150 guy." My last two trucks were Tundras and before that was an F150. I've also had an S10, a Frontier, as well as a Dakota RT. I favor no manufacturer. I simply refuse to bow down and worship Toyota while recognizing that Ford builds a damn good product that out performs the competition.

Honestly if Ford didn't have the EcoBoost, I'd have a Chevy with the 5.3 due to how cheap it is to build the motor (stroker kit, cam, heads, etc.).

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
In my area, the highest trim level Tundras (the 1794) are selling for $54k with some relatively small incentives (the Platinum Tundras are less), and Platinum F150s are asking north of $70k. ?‍♂️ I'm also not belittling anyone for making the decision to buy a Ford. I was responding to the ridiculous claim that the Tundra is "junk".

Are you seriously comparing a Platinum Tundra to a Platinum F150? That's laughable. A base Lariat F150 has more niceties than any Tundra.

The Tundra is a nonstarter in the running for a new pickup today for anyone other than a Toyota fanboy. You are literally buying a 2010 truck with 5 miles on it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am not an "F150 guy." My last two trucks were Tundras and before that was an F150. I've also had an S10, a Frontier, as well as a Dakota RT. I favor no manufacturer. I simply refuse to bow down and worship Toyota while recognizing that Ford builds a damn good product that out performs the competition.

Honestly if Ford didn't have the EcoBoost, I'd have a Chevy with the 5.3 due to how cheap it is to build the motor (stroker kit, cam, heads, etc.).
I really liked the 6.2. Dang what a nice engine!
But the modern tech and 400hp in the Expedition I just bought was way way too hard to pass up
It doesn’t sound as good as the 6.2. But geeze that 3.5 twin turbo is a beast

D

Deleted member 9101

I really liked the 6.2. Dang what a nice engine!
But the modern tech and 400hp in the Expedition I just bought was way way too hard to pass up
It doesn’t sound as good as the 6.2. But geeze that 3.5 twin turbo is a beast

Dump 500.00 into a 6.2 and you get 20 hp...dump 500.00 into a 3.5 and you get 80-100 hp that hits like a sledge hammer.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Here are the reasons I didn’t buy another Toyota after 22yrs of Toyota trucks.
#1 New Toyota purchases in my Region are MSRP or more the Toyota store fronts are all owned by a out of area Auto group that manipulates the market prices.
I shopped Domestic GMC and Ford....All our GM and Ford dealers are locally owned shops. They have competitive pricing and competitive service prices.

??

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
17% of the HALF TON market, yeah the Tundras are flying off the lots. At least Nissan has a 3/4 ton. Keep your "brand new ten year old" Toyota.

Outdated? For sure. Overpriced? It's the cheapest full-size truck and holds its value the best. Junk? You're funny. Dashboard Light's overall quality rating index has the Tundra at an exceptional 96/100. The F-series overall rating is 40/100.

If you look at 2015-2019 only, the F-series does much better at 87.6/100. There should be a caveat with that as Dashboard Light looks at long term quality and reliability...just how much long term data do we have for trucks that are ≤ 4 years old?

If you don't mind 15mpg combined and don't need all of the new features, the Tundra makes the most sense, especially if you're going to be going out in the middle of nowhere and want to be able to come back every time. I know there are people on here who take their F-150s out and come back no problem, but the aggregate data does not lie. The Tundra is simply more reliable. Period. And yes, that comes from it being an older design with less bells and whistles. But it is ridiculous to call it "junk".

Do any of you who rag on the Tundra for having no rear locker have any experience driving Toyota's ATRAC system? It's incredible what that can get you out of. Stock Tundras have successfully tackled Hell's Revenge in Moab. My 4Runner's ATRAC has gotten me through lots of hairy off-road situations...mud, sand, steep inclines, etc. with ease. Turn it on in 4Lo, and away you go. If you still want a locker, maybe you can spend a little of the $10k you saved on a Tundra on an ARB setup.

I say all this, and I like the F150. My father in law has a 2016 EB, and so far it's a great workhorse of a truck. But, for exploring remote trails and places well outside of cell service, I would choose instead to rely on the severely outdated, thirsty, feature-poor Tundra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk