Family overland vehicle suggestions?

Cole

Expedition Leader
Of course, because we have experience with what the OP is trying to do with our own rigs. He asked what vehicle and we said what we use and use effectively for the same purpose.

The reality is that you have probably also been inside another car in your life, owned other rigs, talked to people about other rigs, and speculated about what rig to buy next too. People have this tendency to wan to always convince people to buy what they currently own.

For 25 years I owned Jeeps and thought everyone on earth needed a Jeep. :coffeedrink:

I love trucks of all shapes and sizes, have owned nearly every combination. But when you rear the OP needs, a van can't be beat.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The reality is that you have probably also been inside another car in your life, owned other rigs, talked to people about other rigs, and speculated about what rig to buy next too. People have this tendency to wan to always convince people to buy what they currently own.

For 25 years I owned Jeeps and thought everyone on earth needed a Jeep. :coffeedrink:

I love trucks of all shapes and sizes, have owned nearly every combination. But when you rear the OP needs, a van can't be beat.

Yep, a 4x4 van, its awesome. I would love one too..but in earthroamer guise. Love em. But 4x4 vans are hard to come by and suburbans are not. and you are correct, EVERYONE NEEDS A JEEP.

Halligan

Adventurer
Forget the diesel, trust me on this. I've had 3 Dodge/Cummins over the years and while a diesel is bad *** your need's don't warrant one. They cost more to fix, maintain, and so on.

A Tahoe/Yukon will deliver 90% of what your asking right now. They have a short wheel base comparable to your present rig with excellent engine choices. Or step into a 2500 Suburban with similar options. My wife drives a stock 2003 Z71 Tahoe that we bought new and it's been a great vehicle for a family of four. Throw the dog in the back and your off to your next adventure.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ram 2500 but the wife's Tahoe is a better family/dog hauler.

Michigan4x4

Observer
Thanks for all the replies... I like the idea of a 4x4 van (I have driven by the one in the link posted. It is only about 10 miles from me) but am not ready to buy just yet. I don't think the 4x4 vans are very common so if I miss out on the local one, I may miss out completely on having the van as an option. Plus... It needs windows.

Honestly, this thread may be a bit premature as I first would need to free up some money and get rid of my red regular cab 1500 Silverado or trade it at a dealer for a 3/4 ton crew. If I started looking at a 3/4 ton gasser pick up truck, are their any engines I should steer clear of?

I am good with Ford/Chevy/Dodge. No offense to the guys that like the Japanese trucks, I just cant do it. I know that most of them are manufactured here in the U.S, but my extended family would dis-own me if I bought a Toyota. After all, I live about 30 minutes north of Detroit and virtually everyone in my family has worked for one of the big 3 or one of their suppliers.

So... Just for the sake of kicking tires and looking.... I think I have it narrowed down to 1) 3/4 ton crew cab Dodge/Chevy/Ford 2) Suburban 3)Excursion 4)Tahoe (But, as I said earlier, I want something with power. Not sure if a 5.3 Tahoe would do it for me)

Dodge 2500 is probably my first choice right now. Any years or engine/trans combos I should stay away from? Good years? Chevy is 2nd. My buddy has a 2002 2500 Silverado with the 6.0 liter that has almost 300,000 on it. He beats the crap out of it too and has had no problems. I have never been a huge fan of Ford but would be willing to consider the F250 or Excursion.

Thanks guys..
Jeff

texasmedic

If you are going the 3/4 ton rout keep in mind at least with the ram (unless you get a 2014) you have the same motor as the 1/2 ton with a heavier truck witch means worse MPGs and (believe it or not you can look it up) a lower towing capacity so you might as well just go with the 1500

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think my suburban has plenty of power, you should never drive a JK unlimited then. ha ha. I would def go with a newer Dodge truck then. I was a ford man for along time, but the new dodge rigs are so nice that I would never buy a ford now. Dodge is where its at.

Halligan

Adventurer
Well if you want an American made 3/4 ton crew cab pickup then a 2014 Powerwagon with the 6.4 Hemi should fit the bill. You can get the package on a tradesman series or a Laramie just decide what interior luxury's you want or need and order away.

oc357

Looking at your thread we are in the same boat. I currently have a 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab and it just isn't big enough for the family on a road trip. One is in a car seat which eats up both front and rear seat room.

I think our two options (my price range and requirements are the same as yours)

1) An F-250 2005-2008 with the 5.4 - plenty of power to tow a trailer but less $$$ than either the V-10 or the Diesel
2) A 2006-2009 Ram Mega Cab with the Hemi, plenty of power to tow and a huge back seat area, the Mega Cab 1500 is listed s a 1/2 but is really a 3/4 ton.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Well, this is going to go against the grain a bit, but here is my experience (currently 4 of us- a 7 & 9 yo) for what it is worth:

-Had a Quigley, loved it, never regretted it. But only because I traded into it for cheap, and sold for a tidy profit- now cannot get back into one economically.
-'07 Dodge PW CC, awesome rig, minimal room for a CC, good power, but dismal at best MPG- almost saw double digits once ;-) But never whilst towing...
-Excursions are the bomb!! Love them, but they demand a premium, and the tailgate entry is high, especially with any lift. Decent mpg w/ 6.8, great power, but rides like a leaf sprung straight axle truck, cause it is.
-'00-'06 2500 4x4 Suburban, great alternative to the X, cheaper to get into, better on road ride (why live with the leafs??) and adequate ability for light wheeling, but perfect for dirt roads and easy access camping. The real caveat is the comfort over the X, and a tad smaller footprint. GM engines hard to beat, and love the 8.1!!
-JKU, forget it for lack of space. Loved mine, but really not up to par for long trips or required room for family of 4 camping. Power?? What power??
- LR Defender while fantastic truck, maintenance intensive, love/hate relationship, always gets you home but with concerns at times, decent room, good economy IF diesel, but power lacking. We just drove one from Belize to NC via Guatemala, and did fine, but were ready to get out after the trip, and didn't get back in for a week ;-)
-F-250/350 -great alternative especially '05 on with coils front. Improved turning radius as well. Simple a good solid workhorse, tons of room in the CC, reliable, comfortable, etc, etc
-F-150, near the same as the 250, bit more car like, good power/mpg, and good tow rig- even more room than the 250- yes, we measured them both!!

Good luck, but remember- just get out there and go!! You can always change rigs, but don't let the rig be the 'deal', let the trips be what it is about!!
Cheers

Halligan

Adventurer
Looking at your thread we are in the same boat. I currently have a 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab and it just isn't big enough for the family on a road trip. One is in a car seat which eats up both front and rear seat room.

I think our two options (my price range and requirements are the same as yours)

1) An F-250 2005-2008 with the 5.4 - plenty of power to tow a trailer but less $$$ than either the V-10 or the Diesel
2) A 2006-2009 Ram Mega Cab with the Hemi, plenty of power to tow and a huge back seat area, the Mega Cab 1500 is listed s a 1/2 but is really a 3/4 ton.

I have to disagree with you on the 5.4 having plenty of power. In a Superduty the 5.4 is gutless. I drive an 09 F-350 Supercab 4X4 at work with the 5.4 and it's a sled empty. Hitch a 4,000lb boat to it and the thing is pathetic. My Ram 2500 with the Hemi will blow it away.

Basically don't put the word power, let alone "plenty of power" and a 5.4 Superduty in the same sentence.

I had a 2008 F-350 Crew Cab V-10 before my Current Ram and it had good torque for pulling. In a flat out race with both trucks empty my Hemi would clearly win over the V-10 though.

5.4= gutless pig better served as a boat mooring.
6.8 V-10= good torque, will pull loads well.
5.7 Hemi= Motor screams. loves the high rpm and will move an empty 3/4 ton truck very well. As in smile on your face when you floor it. Will tow decently but a V-10 is better.
New 6.4 Hemi= Don't know haven't driven one yet.

Michigan4x4

Observer
Good stuff... Thanks everyone for the replies. Keep the opinions coming. I would like to hear more about Dodge?? Is it me or do the frames on the 2500 Silverados hang annoying low below the body line of the rockers? Maybe it is on all 3/4 tons but I just noticed it on the Chevy today. One the dodges, specifically the Powerwagon and the Outdoorsman (I think) I really dont like the bedside compartments that open. Do they interfere if you decide to put a topper/cap on the truck?

Thanks
Jeff

Halligan

Adventurer
Good stuff... Thanks everyone for the replies. Keep the opinions coming. I would like to hear more about Dodge?? Is it me or do the frames on the 2500 Silverados hang annoying low below the body line of the rockers? Maybe it is on all 3/4 tons but I just noticed it on the Chevy today. One the dodges, specifically the Powerwagon and the Outdoorsman (I think) I really dont like the bedside compartments that open. Do they interfere if you decide to put a topper/cap on the truck?

Thanks
Jeff

Thats the "Rambox" option. You can get the truck with a traditional bed if you want a topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3