Father and Sons Build Too

jeeper92

Adventurer
Ok, so after 8 years of planning and waiting for the right time to build my Teardrop it has finally started. My wife gave the go ahead and we're off and running. I contacted an old High School football team mate through facebook and asked him if he could weld me up a trailer. He does good work and was a good friend, 20 years ago!! Well, tomorrow we are supposed to take delivery of it!! My sons and I are bouncing off the walls. Originally I planned on going 6x8......but it just stuck out too far of the Jeep TJ I am going to be towing it with. So we backed it down to 5x8. We are not going to build a traditional galley as I am 6'5 and my older son is 5'11 in 6th grade and space will be at a premium. We plan on adding a rooftop tent (hoping that my wife enjoys this thing) If she likes it the rooftop tent will be an easy sell to her. I settled on a pretty simple boxy design as I want it to match the boxiness of the Jeep.

We originally were going to do our own door but I chickened out (will do next time) the picture above is the original design. We scored the windows off of craigslist for $120!! I know this design is pretty plain but that's what I like about it. Our next one will be very similar but 5x10 with an angle on the back bottom. We ended up scrapping this as I didn't want to do the doors as far as sealing them.

Last edited:

jeeper92

Adventurer
More on the forst design

Its crazy I haven't camped one day in this thing and Ive already got a notebook full of ideas and mods for the next one. The picture below is the what the door looked like but I eventually went with a store bought one.....$300......what a waste.

So below is the design I settled on. We are going to go with one door and the other side will just be a giant window

Here's a picture from the inside. Lesson learned next time I will build much lighter.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I'm afraid your tongue design (if your intentions are to cut and weld the steel where it's clamped) is inadequate. I think you'd be much better bridging under the frame, back to near where the front spring hangers would be....even if was just 2"x 2" x 1/4".

I think switching over to the manufactured door was a good idea. Plywood doesn't do well with moisture.

Good progress...keep it up.

wagex

Adventurer
I'm afraid your tongue design (if your intentions are to cut and weld the steel where it's clamped) is inadequate. I think you'd be much better bridging under the frame, back to near where the front spring hangers would be....even if was just 2"x 2" x 1/4".

I think switching over to the manufactured door was a good idea. Plywood doesn't do well with moisture.

Good progress...keep it up.

i agree 100% on the tongue, i was thinking the same thing myself.

jeeper92

Adventurer
Got ya

Thanks for the input. The guy doing the welding has been building trailers for 25 years. I guess Ill have to wait and see. Thank you for the input though. I really wish I would have saved the $300 and built my own door. I will do that for the next one.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Nice looking so far, I would definitely recommend a door on both sides, pain in the butt to crawl over each other in the middle of the night

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Looking great. I have to agree on the wood door. While I do like mine and I also like the fact that I made it myself I have noticed it will swell in extreme temp changes and especially when it rains. But it's good enough for me and I like it. My door I'm sure cost me less than $50 max including mounting hardware and door handle latch.

Your build is looking great. I'll be following along. Keep after it. And keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanCooper

Adventurer
Your wooden door looked fine. It would have looked very different by the time you filled the screw heads and put your final finish on it. They are time-consuming, though. I figured about two hours each on mine and I'm over four hours into the first one. I was afraid to tackle them initially and considered buying two. But at $600 the pair, that would represent about 10% of the projected total cost.

I really like the father and son approach, and I love the build.

jeeper92

Adventurer
So I picked up the trailer this week. Here's a few shots of it and one of it tracking behind my jeep. Good thing I didn't go 6 feet wide it wouldn't have fit in the garage.
Here it is at the place where it was
Welded

Here it is behind my jeep

As soon as o got it home
My youngest son made me see what the sides
Would look like.

And here's what we are treating the bottom of the floor with

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
I'm not a pro, but how is the tongue attached to the frame? Is there any additional bracing in that area?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues