Father and Sons Build Too

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
It's welded. The guy assures me it's ok. I think I'm gonna ask em to reinforce it.
I think that's a good idea, especially if you are gonna take it off road. Alot of force applied right at those 2 connections.
I used the asphalt on my build too, works great and you can reapply as needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
7e1401751a49651d4be42785631508c1.jpg

Just for reference this is how I did my frame, cut the tongue thru the front crossmember and welded on both sides and then tied into the second crossmember with reinforcement plates at all 45 degree points.
Then ran fish plates (I think that's what you call em, again I'm no pro) under the 2 outside angled pieces to about 8 inches back on outside of frame.
If this helps great, if not disregard.
Liking the side profile also, gonna look good

Rutdigger

Watch This!
I'm not a pro, but how is the tongue attached to the frame? Is there any additional bracing in that area?

I was just about to ask the same question. From what I could see in the pictures there is going to be a tremendous amount of stress in that area. Most definitely beef that area up and tie it into the framing behind that front section its already welded to. The goal would be to give that area a "ledge" for the everything to rest on and give you three points of attachment. Just my two cents, not criticizing your build at all. I just want you to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor for a very long time.

jeeper92

Adventurer
Thinking of having him weld a 2x2 piece right down the middle from the tongue to the back. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm gonna build the camper itself. I'm on vacation and he's gonna Billy the piece on first at my place then when we get the tags we are gonna drive it over to the shop and weld it up. The roofing cement is awesome. It takes a while to dry though. I've already decided to add to my build. Going to extend it out the back by two feet. The angle will mirror the angle on the front.

Sikocycles

Adventurer
7e1401751a49651d4be42785631508c1.jpg

Just for reference this is how I did my frame, cut the tongue thru the front crossmember and welded on both sides and then tied into the second crossmember with reinforcement plates at all 45 degree points.
Then ran fish plates (I think that's what you call em, again I'm no pro) under the 2 outside angled pieces to about 8 inches back on outside of frame.
If this helps great, if not disregard.
Liking the side profile also, gonna look good

What tubing did you use for yours? 2x2?

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Short answer no. What is the trailer made of? Wall thickness ect?
What kinda trails?
And it's just the connection at the front crossmember that worries me most.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
And please don't think I'm being negative, just would hate to see all the hard work put in and have something fail. Easily enough reinforced now to make her off road ready

rustED

Adventurer
I'm no expert, and Im not trying to criticize, but I'm in agreement with Mushin. Even if your trailer is strictly pulled on the streets to me it seems like where your tongue attaches to the main frame is a weak point. Since your axel placement is further back and if you decided to mount a tongue box it seems like it would stress that attachment point even further especially since it's built out of angled steel and not square or rectangular tube, there is alot less surface area to weld to. I would do some reinforcements just to have peace of mind and in case you ever decided to take it offroad or to some remote areas for camping, etc.

Again I'm no expert, just my 2 cents. I really do like your over all design and look forward to seeing the end result.

Last edited:

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Oh and my fault, I miss read your question. I too like the look of your design and can't wait to see your progression with the build. Reinforcement of the questionable area, and I think you will have years of amazing camping ahead of yourself.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
To the original question...yes it will be ok for a street RV pad type camping trailer....Heck, I wouldn't even be afraid to take it on dirt roads and other light trails....IF you reinforce that area the thread has been discussing, which it sounds like you are going to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues