Feasibility on an idea that I have.

RangeWalk

Ladies and Gents...

I'm a long time lurker on this forum and right up front I'll say thanks to everyone for the write-ups, reviews, and general incredible wealth of information that is found on this site.
I'm in the process of getting my rig (2012 JKU Sport) together as an all around get out and about weekend camping/exploration vehicle. I'm not looking to do any multi-week adventures to SA or anything, but am trying to get it set-up for fun and a bit of comfort when I'm out and about.

As it stands today I'm at a 2" suspension lift with 33s. I've replaced both bumpers with JCR products that include Roto-pax mounts on the rear tire carrier. I've recently installed a Front Runner Slimline II and today added the Front Runner Easy-Out Awning. I'm still in the decision making process of choosing a RTT, but plan to pull the trigger on one in the coming months.

So here is the idea I have. I own an Eagles Nest Outfitters Hammock that I love relaxing in whenever I get the chance. Given the modularity of the Slimline II, and the happenstance that the awning, when mounted, leaves the front and rear slats of the rack free, I'm considering ways to have two extensions/mounts fabricated that can attach to the front and rear slats and provide overhang that enables me to hang my hammock underneath the awning. This would provide me with the ability to utilize the hammock regardless of tree availability, as well as take advantage of the overhead cover that the awning provides. I got the idea from another product that Front Runner has on their website, the Rack Mount Shower Arm. The "Hammock Arms" would need to extend further out from the Jeep to provide adequete clearance for the hammock, as well as be designed in such a manner as to be able to support a couple hundred pounds of body weight and disperse the load over the slats.

So there it is... What say the masses? Feasible? Worth pursuing?

Thanks in advance!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Anything can be done. The cost or other design compromises might make it undesirable or otherwise in feasible. Considering the cantilever over the side of the jeep, the dynamic loads of climbing in and out or bouncing, and the difficulty of repairing aluminum... I would probably not try it on my own rig. I think you would end up with something so big and possibly difficult to deploy that you wouldn't use it. If you are sure that you want to do it, I might have a few ideas...

RangeWalk

I appreciate the candid feedback. I am by no means an engineer of any type, but what you're saying makes sense. One of my concerns was the ability of the aluminum slats to support the load and stresses of exactly what you mentioned in your post. But, I figured if the rack could handle the stress of a RTT hanging over the side that it might be able handle the stress of utilizing a hammock.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Engineers drive trains?

Yep... My engineering degree has quite a bit of dust on it, and nobody is going to pay me to calculate anything critical... But I am just one opinion among many.

If you look at a roof top tent you will see a hinge that looks sort of like a bridge arch attached to a very rigid floor that interlocks all the way down. Because of that, a very rigid structure is formed that spreads the weight across the whole rack. (most of it anyway) If you happen to be on the ladder, the ladder bears some weight and keeps the tent from pivoting on the rack edge and pulling on the far edge bolts.

You are describing something that will always put weight on one edge and always pull on the other edge as you sit in the hammock. Plus you will swing, moving the loads around... And you will only attach to the front and rear slat...

It can be done, but you might be better off figuring out some sort of tripod or poles to set up the awning elsewhere... Or invest the same time and a lot less money finding a chair you love.

It depends on how much "gee whiz" factor you are trying to get. That can be worth a lot of time and cost if you are a social person.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I plan on making my rig for hanging since we have switched to sleeping in Hammocks now and am committed

Krazytoy (user name here) had a cool hammock setup I liked a lot and am going to try to replicate at some point
this is his photo but sure he wont mind me linking it here :)
http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/j...36-3240A4BAC332-899-000000A39824115D.jpg.html

my idea is going to be making a tripod pole setup or turtle dog setup idea from https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/51787-The-TurtleDog-stand
I am coming up with a nested setup I got most of the material to start building but also will be able to have mine freestanding if I want or use the roof rack as the other stand with just the ridge pole going to the rack

I like the idea of having poles that extend off the rack and I know someone here has that on something big ? like a HUGE off road camper setup like a extended unimog or something anyway there hammock setup is lower to the ground I remember seeing the pics so almost coming our of the frame members

I was thinking about something like you want to do also and here are some thoughts :)
use a ridge pole since the forces of the hammock pulling in on itself are quite great
the forum has some folks that have made stands out of 1 inch black pipe even ?

what I was also thinking and still might try are some adapters used by large tents or if you are handy make your own
http://www.canopymart.com/canopy-fitting-selection.html
I was going to do something in a V shape set of ridge poles going back to the rack so I could hang a couple hammocks

this has some info with forces and shows how to get a good lie in a hammock
http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

with the roof rack I think it would need to come out at a angle to get enough width

if possible maybe a system that pulls out and being able to attach a ridge pole and maybe a leg on each side for the downward force if there is to much flex ?

another idea I was thinking was think of a basic swingset but without one side so you have basically a upside down V forming the legs on the one side with a ridge pole going over to the roof rack also would allow you to swing it around into position on right or left maybe ? depending on sun angles etc... using something like the above canopy parts to form it and use poles that nest into each other

will be really curious what you do and for sure post it up

RangeWalk

A lot of food for thought in your response. The more that I look into the idea it seems that the most simple solution is to use a setup like this one http://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-A4030-Madera-Hammock/dp/B00092M278/ref=sr_1_68?ie=UTF8&qid=1422298337&sr=8-68&keywords=hammock+stand.

One of the reviewers substituted metal poles for the wodden poles provided in the kit with good success. This solution allows me to tie off one end of the hammck to the jeep rack or rollbar and the other end to the stand. Lookes fairly cheap and easy to build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk