Film Processor Madness

Michael Slade

Untitled
I got this JOBO ATL-3 this weekend for FREE! It can process all kinds of film and/or paper depending on how you set it up. The cool thing is it's totally automated and I think it's actually in working condition.

I hooked it up to my plumbing today and ran a quick test. I still have some bugs to work out, but when this thing is up and running I can do my ultra-huge negatives with repeatable perfection.

Anyway, I know there are some analog-freaks here who would enjoy seeing this thing.

GO HERE.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I got this JOBO ATL-3 this weekend for FREE! It can process all kinds of film and/or paper depending on how you set it up. The cool thing is it's totally automated and I think it's actually in working condition.

I hooked it up to my plumbing today and ran a quick test. I still have some bugs to work out, but when this thing is up and running I can do my ultra-huge negatives with repeatable perfection.

Anyway, I know there are some analog-freaks here who would enjoy seeing this thing.

GO HERE.

What is this thing called "film"???

TeriAnn

Explorer
I got this JOBO ATL-3 this weekend for FREE!

It seems really hard to get rid of dark room gear these days. I have an Illford CAP-40 Illfichrome paper printing machine that is likely to end up at my local electronic gear recyclers as well as an X-rite densitometer. Used to be home ilfachrome printing was highly desirable. I have given up on ever again having space for a large format darkroom (one of the problems with renting) so the gear is going. Unfortunately some to land fill, some to recycling and almost none for continued use.

If anyone near the Monterey bay is interested, I have the following gear looking for a home:

CAP-40 Ilfachrome paper printer
X-Rite densitometer
Sanders 4X5 colour enlarger
a pair of portable studio lights
a bunch of Photoflex dome light boxes
My backup Pentex 67 camera body and probably a lens or two.

If anyone is interested please PM me.

I'm keeping my ATL-1000 for home developing. It fits in a small trunk and allows me to develop film in a motel room while away from home. At this time all I'm planning on keeping is a Pentex 67 system minus the backup camera body, my 4X5 field camera system, the ATL-1000 and its support/chemical mixing & storage stuff and the stuff needed to do palladium printing. All stuff that does not require a dedicated dark room.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Very cool score! How large/heavy is the thing?

I dont know about color, but black and white darkroom gear is still readily available.

Im still shooting and processing large format 4x5. Although, I have dumped the paper processing, in favor of a large format flatbed scanner.:ylsmoke:

Michael Slade

Untitled
At this time all I'm planning on keeping is a Pentex 67 system minus the backup camera body, my 4X5 field camera system, the ATL-1000 and its support/chemical mixing & storage stuff and the stuff needed to do palladium printing. All stuff that does not require a dedicated dark room.

If you're going to do pt/pd printing then I would advise keeping that X-rite. You don't *have* to have it, but it is nice when you want to minimize waste and speed up repeatable results.

TeriAnn

Explorer
If you're going to do pt/pd printing then I would advise keeping that X-rite. You don't *have* to have it, but it is nice when you want to minimize waste and speed up repeatable results.

You are right, and it doesn't take up all that much space nor require a dedicated darkroom. But having a 4X5 to print from it is more like dabbling for fun than trying to get serious prints. Now if I ended up with an 11X14 camera or better yet 12X20, I would get really serious about contact printing. But with formats that large I would need to replace the mule.

I'm planning on putting everything I own except for my Dormobile & its travel gear into storage for about 6 months (be homeless except for the Dormie) and have maybe been too focused on minimizing the bulk I have to pay storage for.

Storage is REALLY EXPENSIVE.

DasZuk

It's neat seeing other old-school film fanatics in here...

Ten years ago we closed the doors on our small pro darkroom.
I still have a Wing-Lynch processor set up for E6, and a 20" Ilford OmniPro
we used for processing RC B&W and Ilfochrome Rapid prints...

I'm not ready to part with the Wing-Lynch yet, but the OmniPro is destined for the scrap yard.
A few years after we shut down, Ilford discontinued the paper and chemicals for the "Rapid" process...
I wish I still had my CAP40... :coffee:

I also wish I had printed more of my own IlfoChrome/CibaChromes... too much time spent printing other peoples stuff to pay the bills.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
What is this thing called "film"???

Word! I can't believe they still make that stuff. Even my dentist has digital X-rays now, we've had them in the hospital for 5 years or so. And that was about the last use of film I could imagine.

I understand that they're using digital NDI x-rays these days, too.

Do they still make flashcubes? How about Polaroid-66 film?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Do they still make flashcubes? How about Polaroid-66 film?

No more Polaroid, at least not the good stuff.

I really like using Polaroid 54, it is important in my process. I have some boxes in cold storage that I bought before it became scarce.

Looks like Fuji has stepped up and is making some products to fill the large format Polaroid void. I have not used any so I do not know how they compare, but it is encouraging.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
No more Polaroid, at least not the good stuff.

I really like using Polaroid 54, it is important in my process. I have some boxes in cold storage that I bought before it became scarce.

Looks like Fuji has stepped up and is making some products to fill the large format Polaroid void. I have not used any so I do not know how they compare, but it is encouraging.

I have an old Speed-Graphic (military surplus, with all the accessories including the flash grip, in a fitted case). Does anyone make a digital back for one? The camera is probably good to go, I had it completely rebuilt, shutter retimed, bellows replaced, etc. about 10 years ago: I figured I better get it done while there were still people who knew how to, and parts available.

AKRover

Adventurer
I wish I knew more people that shot film. I just recently sold all of my camera equipment and all the digital stuff and lenses went quick but I still have this EOS3 that I can't hardly give away. I was lucky to find someone that wanted my Mamiya medium format stuff but I had to sell it super cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3