Finally! I got my new Rickson 19.5 wheels

justduck

Observer
Just picked up 6 new wheels at the freight depot. It took a looong time, but Dan wasn't set up to produce Fuso Wheels and told me up front that it would be several months before he was able to produce the first set. I had been waiting on my order from Stockton Wheel for four months, calling them weekly to hear that were almost ready to ship. I finally canceled. (they have since gone belly up). Anyway, they are great looking wheels and I will post pics when I get a chance.

Earl

JRhetts

Adventurer
On one hand, I am sorry that anyone took their life or that any employer ceased to employ people.

On the other hand, Stockton Wheel, to put it simply, failed at least several customers: I [along with at least 6 other owners] owned a Ford 550 based expedition rig that had Stockton wheels which Stockton claimed they had fully tested for the vehicle's weight.

We 'enjoyed' three cracked rims within 7 months, due to the location and lack of appropriate finishing of the valve stem holes. All three involved catastrophic failure: either stranding us in a remote desert location, or subjecting us to dramatic maneuvering challenges at freeway speeds.

After intensive investigation, it turned out that their 'testing' was actually non-existent, so we were actually driving on untested rims which were truly not manufactured to ordinary standards.

Maybe this sort of thing had something to do with the company's failure and the owner's suicide?

DzlToy

Explorer
not to bring drama or derail the thread, but we are all better off without companies like Stockton. Read on pirate and mud if you want the drama and the horror stories. Mediocre product and awful customer service.

Glad to see OP got their wheels. Never heard anything bad about Rickson.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Okay, I appreciate this forum and the many adventurers that are part of it. But I do find the comments on this thread a little distasteful in my opinion. I am far from perfect but I think that commenting about this guys demise and then adding negative comments about his company when he has had such a tragic end is not in order. I am sure those who posted these comments are honorable people but please be a bit more sensitive. He obviously was in a world of mental anguish.
thanks.

lehel1

Adventurer
awesome : )

hello earl

thats great news, lloking forward to seeing pics of them. i'm ready to order a spare rim to replace ours.

cheers lehel

Just picked up 6 new wheels at the freight depot. It took a looong time, but Dan wasn't set up to produce Fuso Wheels and told me up front that it would be several months before he was able to produce the first set. I had been waiting on my order from Stockton Wheel for four months, calling them weekly to hear that were almost ready to ship. I finally canceled. (they have since gone belly up). Anyway, they are great looking wheels and I will post pics when I get a chance.

Earl

justduck

Observer
The tires have gone up $100 each since I first priced wheels and tires. The US dollar seems well on it's way to becoming the US peso.

5718634697_17efc739bc_z.jpg

5718636879_703621fb74_z.jpg

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The tires have gone up $100 each since I first priced wheels and tires. The US dollar seems well on it's way to becoming the US peso.

Funny, but true :(
I thought you were 'justduck' because of the Oregon connection, but the Ducati sign in the garage, makes me think otherwise?

996 (gone, but not forgotten)
748 (son's)

bowzer

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd look for some advice here before starting a new one.

I just (limped?) back home early from what was going to be a 3 week trip out West.
Both rear Stockton wheels (17x8) on the Fuso cracked and went flat on day 12. It had been freeway and fire road to this point and never needed to engage the 4wd, so I don't believe there was any "damage" from use.
With the spare and a quick weld job I was able to get home without any major problems, but now have some questions:

Was I lucky? Could they have disintegrated?
Are the wheels safe if re-welded?
Were they tested?
Is the use of tubes a viable option?

I have read about the demise of Stockton Wheel and the events that took place so I know that contacting them is not an option. I'm just looking for a starting point,I really don't want to have to replace 5 wheels if there is a safe alternative but will do whatever it takes to have a safe and reliable expo vehicle. Thanks for any help.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
sorry to hear your story.

about when did you take shipment of the wheels?

any pictures?

Luckily their wheelsets were not extremely expensive.

bowzer

Not much to see in a pic. The soapy water test revealed air leaking from rim near the end of a weld. The powder coating was ground away and a very thin crack was re-welded. This seemed to work and got us back on the road home.
Next day the other side started leaking but it seemed manageable with stops every 100 miles or so.
By the last day both rear wheels needed air every 100 miles and when I did make it home they were flat within minutes.
My subsequent inspection shows 2 new cracks in the re-welded wheel, and 1 crack in the other. All are close to welds.

This was the first trip on the wheels although they were purchased in 09. They had been on the vehicle during the build and was driven locally with no issues.
At this point, I will put in some tubes to keep it rolling while in storage and start looking for another wheel builder. I don't think I want/can trust these any longer.

Ideas, suggestions, comments???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater