Finding the Best Vessel for Camping

Drifter2023

Being in the middle (?) of the hunt for the perfect camping vessel (in the succinct words of JP Ross, Owner of Trail Marker, "I needed a vessel, or portal of some kind to get me ... into the wilderness"), the end-to-end process is becoming clear to me. From my now "eyes open" perspective the process seems to be:

STEP 1 - 100+ hours - Research and select the right vessel category (truck camper, truck topper, teardrop, roof tent, tent on trailer, bigger offroad trailer, etc. etc. etc.)
STEP 2 - 100+ hours - Research and select the right/best/perfect offering in the marketplace (e.g., "best" slide in truck camper for my needs)
STEP 3 - 50+ hours - Acquisition: spec out, negotiate, ruminate, put deposit down, fantasize while waiting, pick it up ! :), pay for it :(, bring it home
STEP 4 - 20-25 hours - camping
STEP 5 - 5 hours - prepare "for sale" ad to go in Expedition Portal 'cause "going in another direction"
STEP 6 - restart at STEP 1

does this sound about right?

I think the biggest entertainment value may be in the steps other than camping. And don't get me started on DIY build options.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I guess it is all about the journey my brother drifter2023.

I made it to step 4 with my Trail Marker and no plans to sell 😉

Awesome you quote JP as I know of him but never met him.

We're are you at in your journey to find said vessel &

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_122435.jpg
    IMG_20230812_122435.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 25

Drifter2023

I'm in STEP 3 - in line for an off-road trailer build. Meanwhile I keep reviewing the lower and higher cost categories and offerings to get comfortable I haven't overlooked something "better".

That Trail Marker looks great in the picture - very nice.

Treefarmer1

That post is funny and sad at the same time. I'd say you should take Steps 1-3 and allocate three years rather than 250 hours! But hey, that's just me.🙂

Step 4 camping at 20 to 25 hours is sad, but probably true. Back in 2012 we bought our first trailer after three years of analysis and working out the details. All of the RV experts told us we were crazy and should have bought used for our first trailer so we could "figure out how we want to camp/travel". If you know yourself and know your relationship(s), then everything else is just specs and money. We lived in that first trailer for 11 years (24/7/365) and it served us well. We took three years planning for the second trailer. We moved into it in April and have lived in it full time since then. We will probably continue to live in it full time until we feel too old to maintain and travel around the country in a trailer. At least we beat that 25 day camping mark pretty easily.

Know yourself and you will avoid a lot of time and money wasting mistakes in what should overall be a pleasurable experience. Not everyone is cut out for RVing, regardless of the vessel and the really cool Sunset Magazine brochures.

Drifter2023

That post is funny and sad at the same time. I'd say you should take Steps 1-3 and allocate three years rather than 250 hours! But hey, that's just me.🙂

Step 4 camping at 20 to 25 hours is sad, but probably true. Back in 2012 we bought our first trailer after three years of analysis and working out the details. All of the RV experts told us we were crazy and should have bought used for our first trailer so we could "figure out how we want to camp/travel". If you know yourself and know your relationship(s), then everything else is just specs and money. We lived in that first trailer for 11 years (24/7/365) and it served us well. We took three years planning for the second trailer. We moved into it in April and have lived in it full time since then. We will probably continue to live in it full time until we feel too old to maintain and travel around the country in a trailer. At least we beat that 25 day camping mark pretty easily.

Know yourself and you will avoid a lot of time and money wasting mistakes in what should overall be a pleasurable experience. Not everyone is cut out for RVing, regardless of the vessel and the really cool Sunset Magazine brochures.
Thanks for sharing.
The post was meant to be humorous but with a kernel of truth.
I imagine you've seen a large part of the country by now. Best of luck to you in the new trailer.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Mods...you forgot the mods......during Step 4, but before Step 5, you will realize the perfect rig based on all your research is not perfect for your needs so the mods will start.

Once the mods start the rabbit hole begins.....researching for hous, selecting the perfect piece of eqpt, finding best deal, procuring and then installing. Add this process for all the mods you will do...and there will be many.......then after tons of time and money spent, then you proceed to Step 5.

Drifter2023

Mods...you forgot the mods......during Step 4, but before Step 5, you will realize the perfect rig based on all your research is not perfect for your needs so the mods will start.

Once the mods start the rabbit hole begins.....researching for hous, selecting the perfect piece of eqpt, finding best deal, procuring and then installing. Add this process for all the mods you will do...and there will be many.......then after tons of time and money spent, then you proceed to Step 5.
Yes, mods - agree! 😼 I'll include that on the next iteration.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Yes step 4b mods. My latest is a bear/bull alarm. Likely silly but had some cows and a bull come through camp. Quick flip of switch and a very, very loud alarm goes off.

Treefarmer1

Good idea. We keep a wide variety of items around that are very irritating to apex predators and large ungulates. They find hand held air horns and dogs to be particularly annoying. 🙂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger