First skidplate

Condition Yellow

EAN 36 enhaler
I am beginning incremental mods for my '04 Tacoma. Sliders are next, but on a priority list for skid plates, would a transfer case or transmission skid come first?

Last edited:

knoxtaco

Guess that depends on how hard you plan to wheel the truck. Budbuilt has a nice combo deal that gives you a front skid and belly pan that covers everything back to the tcase and is even long enough to cover dual tcase setups. www.budbuilt.com

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I highly recommend the BudBuilt skid plate combo. As mentioned, it's two pieces and covers both the transmission and transfer case. They are very stout pieces!

Condition Yellow

EAN 36 enhaler
Thank you for the suggestions. I've looked at Budbuilt's combo, but it's a bit pricey for me right now. I've heard one suggestion to start up front and work my way back--any other input?

Thank you for the suggestions. I've looked at Budbuilt's combo, but it's a bit pricey for me right now. I've heard one suggestion to start up front and work my way back--any other input?

Budbuilt is the way to go if you have the coin to spare for sure!! Awesome guy and even better product.

I love to build and fab whatever I can whenever I can and here is how I built my skid.

Cardboard is your friend

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20006.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20007.jpg

(one area that I am going to tweak is have the sides come out farther to protect the lower A-Arm bolts.)

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20008.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20009.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20010.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20011.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20012.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20013.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20014.jpg

front%20IFS%20skid%20plate%20015.jpg

Condition Yellow

EAN 36 enhaler
So, what does the Budbuilt belly pan skid plate cover? Both the transmission & transfer case? Is the Budbuilt crossmember necessary for this skid? Can I install the bellypan skid without the front skid plate? Does anyone have a picture of just the bellypan skidplate installed?

sasaholic

Adventurer
definetly start at the front and work your way back. the radiator hands down and is really really easy to smash on these trucks. i built my front one for about 40 bucks and i havent been able to bend it yet. buds skids are great, but do need to be reinforced in some areas if your going to use them HARD.

Tim A

Adventurer
Just ordered Bud's skids front to back. Can't wait to test them out! (just kidding, that's one of those $1K mods you hope to never test) :sombrero:

sasaholic

Adventurer
Just ordered Bud's skids front to back. Can't wait to test them out! (just kidding, that's one of those $1K mods you hope to never test) :sombrero:

why? skids are there for a reason. it doesnt hurt a thing to bash on em a bit.:smiley_drive:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
So, what does the Budbuilt belly pan skid plate cover? Both the transmission & transfer case? Is the Budbuilt crossmember necessary for this skid? Can I install the bellypan skid without the front skid plate? Does anyone have a picture of just the bellypan skidplate installed?

The belly pan plate bolts to the front skid plate, so no, I don't think you can just run the belly pan. I'll take a couple pictures of mine later today and post them up for you.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The belly pan plate bolts to the front skid plate, so no, I don't think you can just run the belly pan. I'll take a couple pictures of mine later today and post them up for you.

While it does bolt to the front skid plate, the belly pan is standalone without just as the front is standalone without the belly pan. That said the design of the belly pan has the front lip angling downward to meet up with the front plate. Without the front skid in place you have an 'anchor' there waiting to snag on something.

I've run without my front skid on occasion. While dealing with some CV axle issues I had it off for a few months. I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution. Though if one wanted to make it permanent you could simply cut the front angle piece off of the belly skid and run it forever.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
You are right. I forgot about the mounting point further back. I agree with you, though, I would not just run the rear section.

Taco_skids3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__