First Trailer Build - Offroad Camping Rig!

bucket

Hi Everyone. Long time reader first time poster! Just want to say there is some INCREDIBLE talent on here, and some great ideas.. I am not the most capable builder myself, but am always up for a challenge but knew I would need someone more experienced to make this happen.. Have been thinking about building a very basic camping rig for exploring the backwoods of British Columbia for years. The amount of hours alone discussing the concept & needs with buddies is absolutely insane. So, usually do most of my time in the bush in October or November, and decided to jump on this at the start of August so it was doable. I've looked at tons of trailers to modify into the "end goal", although it started to seem like the wrong idea to have odd components or modify something to suit.. That led me to start researching components for sale and one axle had a mention of the seller having the possibility of building something to suit. So I called it up, went and discussed with Doug (please chime in on this thread anytime Doug!) and turns out we both have the same interest in building this sort of trailer, and he has built lots of trailers before but not enclosed camper.. :victory: A willing participant with the right skill set and experience!

Quick outline of what my girlfriend and I both "want" out of the trailer:

- Instant Setup and Teardown
- Ability to blast down a forest service road without worrying about it too much
- Quick disconnect to leave the camp ground where it is and run to the store for supplies or what have you
- Foam mattress inside, with enough room for me to stretch out.. sleeping on a 5ft space if you're over 6ft sucks!
- Sturdy tires, solid axles
- On board propane (simply for the cabin heater and the coleman stove out back)
- Small amount of onboard power for interior lights and USB charger (thanks Doug on that idea) so our phones can charge up overnight
- Rear hatch that opens where the kitchen area is (no running water, coleman stove, coolers)

Instead of going to complicated now - we want to start simple and then add as we see fit.

So, here is my best attempt at a 2d drawing of the plan, and then I will get to the execution pics.. we aren't far into it yet, but you can see it starting to come!

Build Materials:

3500 lb axle
1750 lb leaf springs
2 1/2" Steel Tube Frame
1 1/2" Steel Tube Cage
3/8 " Plywood exterior
Insulation - undecided
Interior Wall Cover - undecided
Exterior Treatment - undecided, currently considering

Please feel free to chime in on all the undecided and offer any wisdom!

bucket

Step 1 - Find some wheels and tires that basically match your truck.

Step 2 - Paint em!

Step 3 - see if they match now

bucket

Then, spend a few hours buying all the trailer parts and head over to Dougs to start offering everything up and measure and cut the main frame..

bucket

Doug and Taylor handled the big welds on the frame.. Starting to look really solid to me :elkgrin:

(The frame is on top of another trailer.. so it takes a little focus to see this beauty)

And, the axle is attached:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Brakes! You'll want electric brakes on that beast. Fortunately, it's an easy retrofit.
You'll probably want an off-road-style hitch to allow for some articulation. That style ball doesn't allow for much break-over movement.

I'm also a fan of The Killers.

Nice job on the wheels.

Chili

Explorer
Brakes! You'll want electric brakes on that beast. Fortunately, it's an easy retrofit.
You'll probably want an off-road-style hitch to allow for some articulation. That style ball doesn't allow for much break-over movement.

I'm also a fan of The Killers.

Nice job on the wheels.

Yeah, I have a standard ball hitch on mine and cracked / bent it in Colorado 2 weeks ago. It wasn't too bad to finish the trip and make it home, but could easily have been. I was already planning on extending / redesigning the trailer tongue to a receiver style with both a ball hitch (for on road) and multi axis or lunette for off road, so I was not too bummed about the damage to the existing ball hitch.

Ted_Z

Adventurer
The shackle angle on the springs looks way to steep, especially since you don't even have any weight on the springs in that picture.

bucket

trailer balance 60/40 just saying??

With the full size spare, propane tank and batteries all going up front I am quite sure that is where we will end up.. plus with the main door being in front of the axle that is where the gear will be loaded as well. If we end up too much forward with all the wood etc installed, the Propane and Spare can always be shifted back. Little error margin for how the weighting turns out :)

bucket

What width are you shooting for, for your sleeping space?

Sleeping space is going to end up being about 4'8" wide and a full 6'2" tall - which will be quite an improvement over the 3' x 5'8" we were doing before in the back of my dodge on a piece of plywood LOL

bucketfan

I got way too over busy juggling the build and work on a timeline before our annual hunting trip; sorry no pictures have come. Short story is it worked out great - and came together with a fair amount of blood, sweat and tears no joke. I've never built anything before so pretty stoked about this.. Ill detail the steps here!

bucketfan

Another shot of the frame, playing with some positioning..

Cut and attached some plywood (painfully!) and some more positions:

I *think* this is where I'd like the spare wheel to end up, it'll help move some weight forward too:

bucketfan

More framing, cut the window whole and check how it looks:

At this point, it was time to just feel out where the easiest entrance would be, and cut a shape for it. We're going to use the cut out for the man door

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online