FJ40 4-speed transfer case source

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Dumb question from a non-TLC person, so please bear with me.

(I did a search on this forum, but got a very short list and it did not look promising...)

We are looking for a 1972 to 1979 FJ40 4-speed transfer case as donor for an Orion kit.

(its not for an FJ40, however...)

I googled and e-mailed a few places, but did not see any on their websites, so am thinking that they are long shots. I had contacted Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, previously, but he didn't have any at the time.

Does anyone have a good source for a donor case for us, please ?

Thanks ! ! !

Cheers,
Frank

helocat

Frank,

ih8mud.com post in the wanted section might work. Also a 4 spd t-case from a Landcruiser is going to be years 1974.5 - 1979. Before 1974.5 they are all considered a 3spd case.

Once you find your donor case and gut it, keep in mind there is a market for the empty housing you have left over. Peps crack the stock housings at the idler shaft and need a new housing. (Thus why the Orion was made) Not a ton of $ but worth a few $ for most as a spare. (values dropped when the Orion came out)

I think I have a 4spd case. If you are interested e-mail me
mark at metaltech4x4.com

Mark

rusty_tlc

Explorer
ih8mud.com is a good suggestion
pirate4x4.com would also be a good place to post in the parts wanted section, maybe even better since a lot of those guys go down the Atlas/Dana road.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hey Frank, good to see you here on ExPo :cool:

I might actually have a 4spd t-case now. We get them pretty often but they get 'cored' out for ORION builds so the don't stick around long. I'll check tomorrow.

You do know that you can bolt a "3 speed" t-case on the back of the H42 4-Speed right? Tech details and reasons to do so here: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_4spdtrans_3spdtc.html I've got plenty of those available :D

Basically with the 3 spd TC mated to the 4 spd trans you get a slighly lower low range, the tradeoff is the older case design. Options :D

Mark all that time playing in South America is making you slip :D

10/73' - 7/80' for the H42 though the 9/73' - 4/75' is really a 3 speed with the factory installed 'transition gear' ie 16 spline ID with 29 teeth instead of the 31 teeth of the later 4 speed case. Input gear info here: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_input_gear.html

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Why not find a 3 speed t-case for your donor t-case for the Orion? According to Advance Adapters who makes the Orion, the 10 spline 3 speed case is stronger than the 16 spline.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Frank,
ih8mud.com post in the wanted section might work. Also a 4 spd t-case from a Landcruiser is going to be years 1974.5 - 1979. Before 1974.5 they are all considered a 3spd case.

Once you find your donor case and gut it, keep in mind there is a market for the empty housing you have left over. Peps crack the stock housings at the idler shaft and need a new housing. (Thus why the Orion was made) Not a ton of $ but worth a few $ for most as a spare. (values dropped when the Orion came out)

I think I have a 4spd case. If you are interested e-mail me
mark at metaltech4x4.com
Mark

Hi Mark,
Thank you. I knew I would get the dates mixed up on that - appreciate the correction. Also, thanks for letting me know that there is some value in the parts that will be leftover... I may just yet need to contact you about that case, but we'll need it to get to KS, thanks :)

Cheers,
Frank

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
ih8mud.com is a good suggestion
pirate4x4.com would also be a good place to post in the parts wanted section, maybe even better since a lot of those guys go down the Atlas/Dana road.

Hi Rusty,
That's a good idea, too, thanks. I think the shop helping us is very familiar with pirate4x4.

Cheers,
Frank

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hey Frank, good to see you here on ExPo :cool:

I might actually have a 4spd t-case now. We get them pretty often but they get 'cored' out for ORION builds so the don't stick around long. I'll check tomorrow.

You do know that you can bolt a "3 speed" t-case on the back of the H42 4-Speed right? Tech details and reasons to do so here: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_4spdtrans_3spdtc.html I've got plenty of those available :D

Basically with the 3 spd TC mated to the 4 spd trans you get a slighly lower low range, the tradeoff is the older case design. Options :D

Mark all that time playing in South America is making you slip :D

10/73' - 7/80' for the H42 though the 9/73' - 4/75' is really a 3 speed with the factory installed 'transition gear' ie 16 spline ID with 29 teeth instead of the 31 teeth of the later 4 speed case. Input gear info here: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_input_gear.html

Hi Kurt,
Thank you for the welcome ! :)
Yes, please do check. It would be nice to complete what we started, as you and I had spoken first.
We'll need it to go to KS...
Actually, I know very little about the "swapability" of the trans/t-case arrangements - this will be joined to an NV4500 trans.
Thank you very much for the input gear info, however ! ! ! :D
Please, let me know if you have the t-case we need.

Cheers,
Frank

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Why not find a 3 speed t-case for your donor t-case for the Orion? According to Advance Adapters who makes the Orion, the 10 spline 3 speed case is stronger than the 16 spline.

Hi Grease,
Thanks. Um, not sure on that one. I think since we are adapting to the NV4500 that we are going this way, but I thought the 4-speed was the better choice, as to being a later/stronger one, but I have no clear idea on that and sure don't want to start a riot, please...

Cheers,
Frank

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Hi Grease,
Thanks. Um, not sure on that one. I think since we are adapting to the NV4500 that we are going this way, but I thought the 4-speed was the better choice, as to being a later/stronger one, but I have no clear idea on that and sure don't want to start a riot, please...

Cheers,
Frank

No riot starting here....this is the expedition portal and not mud or even pirate. Most of us are quite civil over here.

I was just suggesting that if you don't have a 4 speed case and you have not bought the 16 spline adapter to the NV4500, you may want to consider a 3 speed t-case for your Orion. First off, they can most likely be bought cheaper than the 4 speed case. 2nd, talk to Advance Adapters. They will be the first to tell you that the 10 spline Orion is a little stronger than the 16 spline. This is right from the horse's mouth of the people who actually make the Orion.

But, if you already have the NV4500 16 spline adapter and/or a lead on a 4 speed case, then disregard.

Edit: I am only referring to the difference between the 10 spline and the 16 spline Orion t-case specifically. In a Land Cruiser application (and not an Orion application), the 16 spline 4 speed case IS stronger than the 10 spline.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

...talk to Advance Adapters. They will be the first to tell you that the 10 spline Orion is a little stronger than the 16 spline. This is right from the horse's mouth of the people who actually make the Orion...

That is really interesting... I wonder how they came up with that? The housings are 100% the same (made here locally) and the gears are identical with the exception of the input? I just don't see it, what am I missing?

cruiseroutfit

Kurt,
Matthew told me that the 10 spline shaft is stronger than the 16 spline. Everything else is the same.

Cool. They must be using a better material for the 10 spline? If not assuming identical materials the 16 spline has the theoretical strength benefits based on the larger OD and the dynamics of the splines themselves. Good to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl