Flat bed Camper Setup

Carlyle

Explorer
A few years back, I saw a unique rig just like this, except on a Ford. It was at the Shelf Road climbing area West of Canon City, CO.
Such uniqueness is almost too coincidental .. and both in Colorado.

Hmm, I wonder if that was me as that's my neighbourhood?

When was it?

Kilroy

Adventurer
Do you have an air bag? Looks like your sagging a bit and not too much clearance over tire. I know you don't need as a standard bed gives because flex is limited by bumpstops.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Loco and Kilroy, where those questions for me? If so, the bed was made for me by Harbor Bed in Brea CA to my specs. Nothing fancy, just a 9ft flat bed with 8ft boxes mounted forward. As to the saging rear, err the campers sagging rear, yes it has started to sag a little so I'm thinking about air bags so I can adjust the side to side height. All I need is more money! Tire clearance isn't a problem as there is more there then it appears. I'm only going to move up to 35 inch tires so they'll fit without even a lift. I'm working on getting the jacks fixed so when I do I'll post some pics of just the truck alone. If those were not meant for me, sorry guys!

bronconite

Observer
I don't know how to post pictures here

Here ya go:sombrero:

jimstringercamper_01404.jpg

wapitichaser

I did not have my overload spacers on for the test fit. My truck usually sits about 3 inches taller with the spacers. I made some spacers out of 2x4 steel and they bolt onto my overload springs. I have been debating whether to install air bags or not. I have heard good and I have seen bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I am still on the fence. My spacers work pretty good at easing the sway and giving a solid ride going down the highway. Plus they cost me a total of 45 mins. of my time to build. I had the steel sitting around.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I've got air bags on my Tundra and I'm very happy with them. Found out you need to really determine least amount of air you need. Run to much and it stiffens up the ride even more. I'm planning on putting them on my Dodge.

I did not have my overload spacers on for the test fit. My truck usually sits about 3 inches taller with the spacers. I made some spacers out of 2x4 steel and they bolt onto my overload springs. I have been debating whether to install air bags or not. I have heard good and I have seen bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated? I am still on the fence. My spacers work pretty good at easing the sway and giving a solid ride going down the highway. Plus they cost me a total of 45 mins. of my time to build. I had the steel sitting around.

theMec

Adventurer
Hmm, I wonder if that was me as that's my neighbourhood?

When was it?

Carlyle, have you climbed at Shelf Road? I've followed your alaskan build. This was before that. Did you have something similar before the alaskan?

wapitichaser

Well i just ordered a set of air lift air springs from amazon. They should be here in a few days. I just couldn't stand not having the ability to level the truck with a load. Plus the noise of my spacers sqeaking was driving me crazy.Thanks for all the input.

Carlyle

Explorer
Carlyle, have you climbed at Shelf Road? I've followed your alaskan build. This was before that. Did you have something similar before the alaskan?

I've driven shelf road and enjoyed it, but not a climber unless there is beer at the top. My previous rig was simply a slide in pop up in truck bed so probably would not fit the time frame now now that I look back at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy