Fleetwood Neon Cheap modifications and tricks (expensive mods too)

NevetsG

Added a simple pvc pipe behind the tool/battery tongue box to store canopy extension poles. Will add more PVC pipe for water storage.20181103_141822.jpg

Last edited:

NevetsG

I assembled a few parts and made a power lift for the pop up. I purposely got a cheap drill from Harbor Freight, and it struggles a little bit, but it gets the job done with some help.

The key component to make this work is a torque multiplier, otherwise the cordless drill doesn't have enough power to lift the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CLWVX1O

I used a grinder to cut slits into a 5/8" deep socket, a 1/2" extension bar, 1/2" hex drill socket driver (https://www.harborfreight.com/hex-drill-socket-driver-set-3-pc-68513.html).

The T handle and an extension with a rotation handle I made in case the drill dies while out on the trail.

20180804_172318.jpg

pokealong

Ammo boxes mounted for power cords tarps, gas bottles (going to add an 11lb tank next), hoses. Ran wires for running lights, and used metal outdoor outlet covers to run the wires.

http://ammocanman.com/m592-30mm-surplus-ammo-can-grade-1/

Love the ammo can additions to your Neon. I have a lot of questions:
-How heavy are the cans and gear?
-What are they attached to in the trailer and how much weight can you actually mount here?

You also mentioned a camp kitchen in one of your posts...did you ever do this? My end goal with the tongue is to do some kind of pull out kitchen...I have some ideas here, but am hoping to find something someone has already done on a Neon.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited:

NevetsG

Love the ammo can additions to your Neon. I have a lot of questions:
-How heavy are the cans and gear?
-What are they attached too in the trailer and how much weight can you actually mount here?
-Do you have a heater in your trailer and if so, how did you work around it?

The reason I ask is that I am looking to move my propane tank and spare tire off of the tongue so that I can get a box mounted up front. Could this be a place to mount these items?

You also mentioned a camp kitchen in one of your posts...did you ever do this? My end goal with the tongue is to do some kind of pull out kitchen...I have some ideas here, but am hoping to find something someone has already done on a Neon.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Short answer to you question is yes and no you can mount there. If you have a big aftermarket tire, you are going to need to weld something to the frame.

The weight and mount was something I struggled to solve, and I'm not completely satisfied, but I don't intend to drag it through highly technical trails. So my solution should work for me. I picked up some structural aluminum rectangular tubing at the recycle center for cheap then cut it to fit against the frame using 1/4" bolts to have something solid to carry weight. I had one big problem to overcome, and it was a good substrate at the top of the can, and the best I could come up with was to screw it to the vertical corner molding which also serves as structure for the camper walls. I also had to space it out so the lid can work. My guess would be to limit the total weight to about 50lbs per can, and the gear I want to put in there will not come close to that (about 30lbs).

No heater, but I'm trying to come up with a solution that will repurpose an old Coleman blackcat tent heater to work with a large propane tank. The issue being this heater uses the 1lb tank as a stand.

I really like your kitchen idea, and I've thought about the same, but keeping the weight balanced over the axle, needing a place to add more batteries, and cost have made me rethink putting too much weight up front. As well as overall weight. So I'm still trying to think through a camp kitchen idea I can live with.

NevetsG

So I noticed that you have the couch/bed legs all the way to the left in this photo. Do you not use this? Or do you just pack the back of the couch in a different manner than designed?

Not sure what your question is, do you have something different to support the couch bed?

Smksignals

Explorer
I own a Neon and LOVE the front storage box and 2 Husky boxes. Simply easy mods that creates more storage and alleviates headaches.

pokealong

Not sure what your question is, do you have something different to support the couch bed?
Well, when my trailer is packed up, the bed is pulled out like shown in the directions. This puts the leg in the way for putting in a storage box. Maybe you put the couch back somewhere else when you pack up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater