Fog Light Q

Howski

I'm looking to replace the crappy fog lights I got with my bumper (one is already dead) with some true fog lights. I need round ones about 3.5" in diameter. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but want something that has a true fog light pattern and won't die out after a few months. Suggestions?

Hawk Thor

If it were me I´d get projector foglights. They will have a true fog light pattern and a great cut-off even after being HID converted.

Hella Micro DE and a HID kit or the Micro DE Xenon would be good.

I have IPF projector foglights on my KZJ95, they were good with halogen bulbs but now with 3000K 55W HIDs, they´re awesome.

I´ve only found one pic of them online, and it might even be smaller lights than mine. That box says IPF 400, but those seem to look a little bit different to mine, it might just be the angle of the picture though.

0261_3lo.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Get some Cibies.

Just a word of caution, a foglight is not a foglight any longer and is not legal to use as a foglight once it has been "converted" to HID. Despite how zippy the cutoff is....

Howski

Thanks for the responses, but all of these seem to be too small. They're only 2.5". The only cibies I could find are rectangular and I need round ones with 3.5" diameter.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
IIRC, Warn makes some 3.5" dia fog lights however they are between $100-150 so not so cheap.

Alternatively Hella makes the Optilux brand of lighting. They have their 1100 series which is 4" OD but the lens itself is probably closer to a 2.5-3" dia. and are far cheaper than the Warns or standard Hella brand for that matter (retail is <$50) with amazon selling sets for $42.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the responses, but all of these seem to be too small. They're only 2.5". The only cibies I could find are rectangular and I need round ones with 3.5" diameter.
Scroll toward the bottom on this page.
I don't think that DS lists dimensions. Give him a call and solicit his advice. He's been my go-to guy for the past decade and has really provided me with a quality education about automotive lighting.

You can also pose the same question on this forum; many of the members are fairly close to expert. I'd trust answers from Alaric Darconville and Scheinwerfermann especially.
Scheinwerfermann and Daniel Stern both worked in the auto industry as lighting engineers.

Krink545

I like the the IPF and PIAA brands have had good luck with both and use them daily, but with the new LED tech coming out this site has my interest, www.rigidindustries.com , just wonder how well they work? Not cheap thou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal