Fog Lights/Aux Lighting... ?'s

dsmith

:victory:Hey guys I've never had any foglights other than a set I got for free that i had on my pathfinder a few years back. I'm looking at investing in a set for my 90 YJ Wrangler. I would like to go with two Square lights and want to know your suggestions. I know its cheap but I'm thinking 150 or less. Just want something that is bright as all get out... Was wondering what will work best a amber light or clear and which one... haha Hope you guys can help me, here are some I've found.

by the way I will be useing only two of these and mounted on the front bumper of my jeep! The white YJ!
40657_1525275488041_1119247185_31603841_6495501_n.jpg

Hella 550 Amber Fog Lamp Kit
10384-lg.jpg

Hella 550 Driving Lamp Kit
11874-lg.jpg

Rugged Ridge 5X7 Off Road Driving Light Kit with Wiring Harness in Black 100W (Pair)
124628-lg.jpg

Delta Tech Delta 250 Rectangular Clear Driving Light Pair
14662-lg.jpg

Delta Tech Delta 250 Rectangular Amber Fog Light Pair
14664-lg.jpg

KC HiLiTES 5X7 All Season Light System in Black
10420-lg.jpg

IPF 868 Series 7" Rectangular 55-Watt Driving Light Kit in Black
18082-lg.jpg

KC HiLITES 69 Series 6x9 Rectangular Long Range Light
14786-lg.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and thank you!

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
I vote lightforce. Here's why, they are BRIGHT, have interchangable filters and are tough as nails. I have mine setup with the wide angle Yellow filters for Fog. I will be getting a set of the blue filters for snow in the next couple months.

DSCF0226.jpg

The one thing that sucks about them is the price, Luckily I got these off of a Guy over on NAXJA. Couldn't be happier with them though.

sylgeist

Observer
I know you said square, but I have to second the Lightforce. I replaced my factory TJ fogs with a set of them and they are awesome. I have the blue filters for snow and they are very helpful.

BEVAN

Adventurer
I like Hella and IPF's, with the 100w bulbs. I've seen the light force's in action and was impressed.

gunner

Dont worry about cosmetics,round lights have better reflectors.

I recommend Lightforce too,we had those on our MRAPs in Iraq, they turn night into day.

madizell

Explorer
If you want fog lights, find a good set of fog lights. Lightforce lights are not fog lights, regardless of how bright they are perceived to be. Hella makes very good fog pattern lights.

If what you want are driving lights for highway use, I would agree with the general consensus that round is better than square, but I prefer Hella. Lightforce lights are spot lights, not driving lights, and while you can fudge beam dispersion by using filters, your total light output will not equal a lamp manufactured to be a driving light. All compromise is, by definition, a compromise. To make a spot light into anything other than a spotlight, you have to compromise.

If you want a spot light, Lightforce is okay. They do make some large ones that put out a lot more light than any square light on the market.

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
If you want fog lights, find a good set of fog lights. Lightforce lights are not fog lights, regardless of how bright they are perceived to be. Hella makes very good fog pattern lights.

If what you want are driving lights for highway use, I would agree with the general consensus that round is better than square, but I prefer Hella. Lightforce lights are spot lights, not driving lights, and while you can fudge beam dispersion by using filters, your total light output will not equal a lamp manufactured to be a driving light. All compromise is, by definition, a compromise. To make a spot light into anything other than a spotlight, you have to compromise.

If you want a spot light, Lightforce is okay. They do make some large ones that put out a lot more light than any square light on the market.

What is the difference between an external filter like a lightforce and one that is built into the lense? I had Hella's and they were great but they didn't put out anything close to what my lightforces do! My 170's put out 350k candle power each with 100w bulbs. I highly doubt a hella 500 fog lamp is anywhere near that. That said out of all the lights the OP posted up, Hella's are his best bet. I was just tossing another option into the equation.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Another consideration......

I also wanted a rectangular "fog" light with an amber lens. I wanted somthing that was small enough to fit inside my bumper so it could be low and put the light where I wanted it, on the road a short distance in front of my vehicle, and be protected by the bumper.

I looked at Light Force but found a smaller company with great customer service and a lower price. I also liked that the ballast (HID) was contained inside the light housing so the install was easier and I didn't have another electrical "box' under my hood.

The light is quite small, if you want the amber color they install a film over the clear lens.

jeeplights2009004.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

See this link for the product:

http://www.acrolights.com/products.php?pid=16

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

idaxj97

Adventurer
x4 on lightforces, i too have the yellow combo lens I use mine for fog and run on the highway with them on BUT i also have them pointed down to HELP keep from blinding other drivers.

143.jpg

Doctor W

Adventurer
One very important point that seems to have been overlooked is that true fog lights are mounted as LOW as possible so that the beams go below the level of the fog!.....yellow lenses and filters help cut back on distracting reflection but unless the lights are mounted low, they're not a true fog light!

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
One very important point that seems to have been overlooked is that true fog lights are mounted as LOW as possible so that the beams go below the level of the fog!.....yellow lenses and filters help cut back on distracting reflection but unless the lights are mounted low, they're not a true fog light!

Thats true but I need the approach angle more than I need the lights that low.

dsmith

Hey guys I really appreciate everyones posts! I'm going to take everyones opinions into consideration and see what will work best price range and quality! Seems like Hella's, Lightforce and possible the smaller ARCO's. Thank you again for all of your thoughts!:wings:

madizell

Explorer
Here's what I mounted on my Audi A6 Quatro to replace the rather bogus stock fogs:

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/micro-de-series/

These are a true fog lamp built in a projector lamp style. But that's all they are, just fog lights. They will not illuminate the road for a half mile or replace headlights off road. On the other hand, your original post suggests you are looking for fog lights specifically, not road burners.

Hella also makes a free form reflector fog lamp series (FF) that are equally good, but use a computer modeled reflector to achieve beam pattern, rather than a projector and cut-off as used in the DE series. Different approach to the same issue.

Fog lights should have a flat topped cut off pattern, otherwise they disperse light in all directions, which defeats the purpose. Which is why I would suggest that putting yellow filters on a spot light don't make a fog lamp.

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
Fog lights should have a flat topped cut off pattern, otherwise they disperse light in all directions, which defeats the purpose. Which is why I would suggest that putting yellow filters on a spot light don't make a fog lamp.

Not saying you are wrong by any means but I took this shot of my lights when I got home from work.

LFcutoff.jpg

I can't aim them any lower right now, my grill gets in the way. I need to get some of the tall mounts for them. They were turned all the way in then backed out half a turn. I think the cutoff is pretty decent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven