Fog Lights/Aux Lighting... ?'s

dsmith

Well to be honest, I'd like to get a set of "road burners" I'd like to light up the world when I turn them on in the woods haha. I don't know if these would be a good start but they look like a great kit with everything that comes with it. At 90$ I don't think you can beat this deal, but with they provide enough light...

25th Anniversary Edition 500 Driving Lamp Kit includes all the goodies! Two halogen lamps, two protective stone shields, two protective grilles, two GT Yellow Color Shieldz, two standard 55W H3 bulbs, two High Performance Xenon Blue 55W H3 bulbs, one complete plug & play harness, one illuminated switch, one 12V relay, step-by-step mounting instructions.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97006_0100.htm

129372-add2-lg.jpg

129372-lg.jpg

madizell

Explorer
FlexdXJ:

Your photo illustrates my point about filtered round lights. While the bulk of the beam has been contained in a narrow band, your photo shows substantial dispersion in all directions, most importantly, above the beam center. This is not a cut off pattern, but rather a tightly focused one. In fog, you will not only get a lot of clutter from the dispersed light, but because of the intensity of the light, you will also get a lot of bounce from the main beam. As shown, you essentially have a yellow filtered driving pattern.

Each to his own. I have used lots of different on and off road lights over the years, but the only lights that even come close to helping see the road in fog are dedicated fog lights of modest intensity. When light passes through fog, which is just water vapor, it bends all over the place, which causes the scatter we see from common headlights. The glare from that scattered light can be blinding. The brighter the light, the greater the blinding effect. So regardless of the style of lamp, really hot lights defeat whatever benefit you might otherwise get from your auxiliary lights.

Even with dedicated fog lights, some scatter will occur. The idea is to limit the amount of scattered light. You can do this with a truly cut off light pattern, modest light output, and color shift, blue being the worst and yellow the best for limiting scattered light. You can simulate a cut off pattern with the Lightforce lights by covering the bottom 3/5ths of the lens with something that won't pass light, like a piece of cardboard. Your visible light pattern is upside down relative to the light, and what you want to try is blocking that part of the light that is just outside the central beam, but on the bottom part of the lens. See if that makes a difference in how the beam looks when projected against your garage.

dsmith

hey guys still curious... are hella 500's Decent... I posted on Page 2 the ones I was looking at and I'm really looking for a good road burner just to be bright when wheeling!:wings:

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
hey guys still curious... are hella 500's Decent... I posted on Page 2 the ones I was looking at and I'm really looking for a good road burner just to be bright when wheeling!:wings:

They are great lights, You can also upgrade them to HID for cheap. I just got a good deal on Lightforces and went with them.

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
FlexdXJ:

Your photo illustrates my point about filtered round lights. While the bulk of the beam has been contained in a narrow band, your photo shows substantial dispersion in all directions, most importantly, above the beam center. This is not a cut off pattern, but rather a tightly focused one. In fog, you will not only get a lot of clutter from the dispersed light, but because of the intensity of the light, you will also get a lot of bounce from the main beam. As shown, you essentially have a yellow filtered driving pattern.

Each to his own. I have used lots of different on and off road lights over the years, but the only lights that even come close to helping see the road in fog are dedicated fog lights of modest intensity. When light passes through fog, which is just water vapor, it bends all over the place, which causes the scatter we see from common headlights. The glare from that scattered light can be blinding. The brighter the light, the greater the blinding effect. So regardless of the style of lamp, really hot lights defeat whatever benefit you might otherwise get from your auxiliary lights.

Even with dedicated fog lights, some scatter will occur. The idea is to limit the amount of scattered light. You can do this with a truly cut off light pattern, modest light output, and color shift, blue being the worst and yellow the best for limiting scattered light. You can simulate a cut off pattern with the Lightforce lights by covering the bottom 3/5ths of the lens with something that won't pass light, like a piece of cardboard. Your visible light pattern is upside down relative to the light, and what you want to try is blocking that part of the light that is just outside the central beam, but on the bottom part of the lens. See if that makes a difference in how the beam looks when projected against your garage.

I see your point there. The great thing about Lightforce is that they are very versatile. with ohh about 20 seconds of work I can have a different setup. We had heavy fog last night and they performed good enough for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk