Food, trailers and animals

SFDE71

Just curious to know what everyone with a trailer does about food storage and prep with regards to animals in the back country. Has anyone experienced bears, raccoons, etc trying to get dinner:steak: . I know I usually try to set up food prep away from my sleeping area, which is obviously a problem with something like an AT set-up.

Thanks
Matt

ernestgj

Me too, I was thinking about this as well. The convenience of the trailer is nice with everything being in one location, but that also brings together a few things that I've always tried to seperate.

Greg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Do not assume a trailer is bear proof. If you have ever seen what a bear can do to a vehicle or a "bear proof" garbage container you will know what I mean.

There is no reason why you cannot remove food from a trailer. It's more convenient to do so if you have it packed in specific containers within the trailer so it's easily removed.

Food in a fridge seems to be less of a problem at it's refrigerated and in a sealed container, but the fridge can also be removed.

I live in bear country, we have a bear proof container to put our household garbage in. When we go camping it's in bear country. However encounters with bears are very seldom. I've seen one bear a year on average. Problem bears do exist, but not every bear is a problem bear. An air horn is a good first line of defense and gets the bear our of your general area.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We just got back from a trip (yesterday) where Racoons were walking right up to us while eating... i just chased them off with my mag-lite and threw rocks at them. The dog would bark and they took off. They were certainly not afraid of us at all. Then they would come back every 20 mins. At night i had to lock up the Horizon like a prison. Everything was put inside, dry food in a huge snap top lid, (including the bbq). I put the trash bag in the cruiser and made sure all the windows were up. Sure as heck every night i watched them out my roof top tent window cruiser around looking for stuff. Man did they stink!

Section 8

Observer
I live/do most of my camping in Wisconsin. The Raccons are worse ever year. I also really fear sleeping over my food supply.. waking up to 5 sets of stinky paws scrabbeling around on the tent wouldn't be nice.

I blame Illinoians for the constant increase (of course its most everyone, but when ever you see someone breaking the "rules" there is probably an IL plate attatched somewhere)

I have a site about my disgust with the whole situation,tounge-in-cheek.... or not.

Kamp Nazi

Rezarf <><

Explorer
This is a great thought to discuss.

I am building a kitchen out the back of the trailer and I was wondering how this was going to work. We live and play in bear country (rocky mountains). And Martyn's totally right I don't think a trialer is even close to bear safe. They can pull car doors right off when they decide too.

I too will have my bear spray, and horn nearby. A little noise usually sends them running, but it is a bit un-nerving now sleeping on top of the "cooler" :D

FWIW, encounters are rear and the exception, but being prepared and accepting the risks is all part of the game. For me, the kitchen in the trailer out wieghs the off chance I have a bear in my camp.

Now, watch me get eaten up on my first outting :D

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
Read an article in a hunting magazine last month about air rifles up to .308 in caliber. Tester dropped a pig in Texas with one.......

I have rebuilt several RV's from cheap trailers to 500K pushers that had bears rip through either the door or a compartment door to gain access inside. It's amazing how much damage a 300lb black bear can do to a coach to get inside. I know the weight of the 300lb bear because he was shot by a ranger after the occupants of the coach poured a pan full of hot french fry grease on his face when he stuck it through the hole he had made in their door. They were yelling at him the whole time and banging pans on the door and walls. The cooking oil made him back off, but unfortunatly blinded him. They were told it was his third offense.

I made a lot of money repairing that rig. We had to replace the door, frame and 6 pieces of metal siding as well as the carpet in the living room.

ckkone

Explorer
Section 8 said:
I blame Illinoians for the constant increase (of course its most everyone, but when ever you see someone breaking the "rules" there is probably an IL plate attatched somewhere)

FIB's :REOutShootinghunter

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Having been a backpacker for many years, I treat my trailer food supply the same way. I double Ziploc bag all meats and cheeses, all leftover food gets discarded 30-40 feet from the tent, when possible food trash is burned in the fire (not always possible depending on location), no food is ever allowed in the tent (not even a small snack), parts of trailer containing food are shut up tight at night and a pistol is near my pillow when sleeping. My wife and I snore also. Noise is a big deterrent.

I've always had a theory about problem bears. I believe that problem bears associate established campgrounds with easy food. Therefore I am much more cautious about food and trash in an established area than I am when deeper in the wilderness. Never had an encounter with bears trying to get my food, skunks and ringtails, however, are another story.

All in all, I believe we have more to fear in the city than we do in the woods.

jbs

Observer
MaddBaggins said:
I've always had a theory about problem bears. I believe that problem bears associate established campgrounds with easy food. Therefore I am much more cautious about food and trash in an established area than I am when deeper in the wilderness. Never had an encounter with bears trying to get my food, skunks and ringtails, however, are another story.

All in all, I believe we have more to fear in the city than we do in the woods.

I agree on both counts. The only times I have had bears sniffing around my tent was in campgrounds. Never when dispersed camping. We have the same policy- no food in the tent. Ever. We also change our clothes before bed, so whatever we ate in that day isn't with us in the tent either. Having the trailer with our food supply in it right below us has given me pause though. What most concerns me is that we cook on a table right over the passenger side fender- lots of residual food scents.

Markgyver

Observer
A friend of mine was camping and they put there coolers in there car while they went hiking when they came back a bear had busted out all the glass ripped all 4 tires off the rims and tore off there trunk to get the the coolers...

I always place my coolers away from camp at night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__