Food, trailers and animals

Honu

lost on the mainland
our last trip in regular campgrounds we were up a day or so short of tahoe some place with a cave ? those in that area might know where I am talking about coming over from the siskus ? spelling ?

anyway it was chipmunks !!!!! the fat little things were everywhere tons of em and they kept jumping up in the wheel wells then jumping into the frame area of the trailer ? my thought was maybe regular trailers have a way in somehow :)

but it was a bit freaky as there were signs saying they have the plague ?

but they were ballsy little things running up under the picnic table when you are eating !

I was bit once by a squirrel years ago and the rabbies shots were not fun my fear not bears but chipmunks :)

I do agree though I think its the popular areas where animals get comfy with humans and the danger comes into play

Cruiser

Adventurer
Here in the NE PA mountains the bears are brave and very very comfortable with humans.. its a problem,, and less and less people out hunting them is driving the #'s of the population up and up.. this year has been quiet,, but last year we had 6 bear attacks in a 12 mile radius of the house.. they mostly went after food and campers,, attacking people in tents,, during the day and night.. and one est. 700# bear took a dog.. They got blurry pictures of it but it took an older golden ret. but again this year not one,, guess the hunt was better this year..
Steve..
ps.If I'm sleeping over my food I'm sleeping with a cattle prod!

pint

Adventurer
I've also never had any bear/animal issues in the wild, only established campgrounds. However, I keep my Glock 21 nearby just in case!

masterplumber

Observer
I hunt & backpack in the backcountry a lot. We hang our food if we're not in camp & then leave the tent doors wide open so if an animal gets curious & wants in they can get back out without tearing the place apart. We never put the food up at night & even though we're armed we've never had a problem. As mentioned earlier you'll probably have more problems where the animals are used to people & not afraid. Or if your in a grizzly area - then your not at the top of the food chain & you don't want to be on the menu so take all precautions including cooking someplace else besides where you sleep.

atavuss

Adventurer
I use bear cannisters, and keep the food away from camp. if that fails then there is always this for backup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z18b4nTCV3w

if I happen to miss the target the muzzle flash will blind them, the muzzle blast will burn their fur off and the noise will deafen them. (hate to think about firing that beast with no hearing protection!)

Last edited:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Yeah our biggest problem round here are coons. I wish I took my Sheppard last time I went out. She does a good job of keeping animals away lol. Last trip they got into my trash, but the trash keep the coons from looking for the good food so I guess it was a good trade off lol. I have my S&W .40 with me for other unfriendlies. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__