For all Jeep guys

pixelcodex

Observer
One more thing, for people with the 5.7 Hemi. When I started looking into these, I thought I would get the best of both worlds with the MDS (multiple displacement system) and I could wrangle the gas mileage and have power when needed. A bit more research reveals that is not the case so much, with people getting early teens. I know I should not expect frugality, but that has me a bit concerned. Can anybody weigh in on this?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I test drove a Commander a few years ago. I was really bothered by the placement of the ignition key. Seemed to be aimed right at my knee cap.I could easily imagine myself in a simple rear-ender (happens all the time in SoCal rush hour conditions), and be unable to walk for the rest of my life. I remember being physically angry at whoever designed that stupid interior layout. This is when the Commander first came out. Did they ever resolve that?

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I think others have high lighted the big points.... Blind spots, IFS, poor MPG's, under powered (unless HEMI equipped but then more $$$), weak aftermarket support, ect ect so it makes them less popular.

BlackZJ, relax man, you will live longer... We all know the top of the line Commander couldn't hang with a Rubicon on the trail and a base Commander would probably have issues hanging with a base Wrangler. It was just his opinion.

What ended up turning me off was largely visibility. It has those gun slit windows designers were so in love with at the time. I guess marketing also learned that smaller windows made people feel safer in their vehicles as well. But I just can't stand it.

The opposite is what I LOVE about my Wrangler! I can see anywhere out of the thing!

thatchdent

i have a jk and a commander, just got back from a week in canada with expo trailer and commander. it has a 4.7 v8 and it is not under powered in my opinion, and my jk now has a charger.....i dont tolerate under powered. we love our commander, it is the wifes daily driver and fits that bill well too. the mirrors are small but the blind spots are managable.

Brigitta

Observer
True Jeeps have solid axles, you asked....

X2 "True" Jeeps will have the solid axle, while SUV's will offer the IFS. What you plan on using your Jeep for should guide you to the best Jeep to suit your needs.

I've seen 4 door Wranglers running a 3rd row on the Rubicon trail, and we have a Commander in my neck of the woods that runs a custom 4" lift but just explores the dirt roads.

If you like the comforts of the Commander check out "you tube" for Jeep Commander Off Road and watch a few videos of what others are doing off road with them. Also check out some forums (jeepcommander.com)

After market parts are very limited for this model so if you plan on a bunch of mods they will more likely be custom made.

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
I bought a commander in 2006. It was fairly powerful. Comfortable. Nice on the highway. I did not like: The four wheel drive - had to stop, shift into neutral, then all I really had was 4 low. Yes - it was all wheel on demand, but all wheel is NOT as good as 4 wheel in some situations. I live where the average snowfall is 500"/season. Last season we saw 780". And the roads I drive on once off the highway, are not city/county maintained. Narrow, deep snow. I couldn't shift into 4 wheel on the fly if the going got tough while on the highway.
Also... the ground clearance sucks. And a lift involves problems down the road. Even 2 inches.
I now own a 4 door wrangler. I need the extra room. That's why the larger vehicles.
If you do mostly on road, and easy off road no deep ruts or... then the commander is a nice vehicle. It was designed when Chrysler paired with Mercedes, and it shows in comfort. But it is NOT a solid off road vehicle like a Wrangler. Not even close. And I speak from experience. My job involves back country travel... and where I live can involve tough driving just to get home.

elbendido

As a jeep tech and former commander owner, I have to say we loved ours. 4.7. My wife would average about 18 mpg w a lot of highway. No, its no wrangler, but I don't think most would confuse it as such. I have owned zj's, xj's, wj's, and tj's. Besides my 5.9 limited, the commander was by far my favorite, used as an overland, travel rig, not a hardcore trail machine. And fwiw, I have replaced exactly one hemi at work, due completely to operator error. Now the 3.7, that's a whole different story....

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven