Ford 250 v 350 payload and suspension quesitons

Actually, superdutyjeff is correct. The original poster says he wants to buy new, and when setup the same way (ie. same options) the 350 costs more. The 350 is rated for more but the difference is the number of leafs and the size of the axle block. On a Ford srw, the difference becomes legality, not capability.

And you obviously didn't look at the link. But whatever.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I'm looking into getting a new Ford 250 or 350 srw 4x4, crew cab, diesel, short bed pick up and would like some opinions.
I'm told the only difference is a single leaf spring in the rear and the other differences are cosmetic.
I'm looking to use a slid in camper that weighs in at 4,000 pounds wet. Arctic Fox 811.
How much extra weight can i carry in the bed if I add air bags and upgraded shocks and use better tires?
Ideas and suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Adding airbags doesn't increase your GVWR at all. It can help control the way the weight is carried and the way your truck handles, but doesn't add to the weight rating.

We have a 1999 F350 SRW 4x4, super cab, long bed, diesel which we used to carry a Bigfoot C25 10.6 that weighs in the area of 3500 pounds. Loaded for a typical trip, we are a little over the GVWR (we've taken the rig to a commercial scale to measure total weight and the weight on each axle). We did install airbags which helped keep the truck more balanced front to rear. The most significant benefit was it got rid of the vague steering that came with the rear of the truck sagging under all the weight. We also upgraded to higher quality shocks to help control the weight a little better. We originally had Rancho's, and recently replaced them with a set of Bilsteins.

It appears to me that the limiting factor are the tires. I am anal about tire inflation pressures while carrying the camper, and run them at 80 pounds to ensure I have the rated weight capacity on the tires. I also keep my speeds down to a relatively moderate level on the highway, and have been known to get new tires before I would under normal circumstances on another vehicle. I'm sure Michelin has some margin in their weight ratings (although the 2005 USGP may cause you to question that ;) ), but I pay close attention to this to be sure.

Some will say we should have gone to a DRW truck, but there are a lot of drawbacks that come with that configuration, starting with a more complicated procedure for installing and removing the camper from the truck. I am pretty comfortable with the configuration we have.

I don't see a lot of drawbacks to choosing the F350 over the F250. Not sure if they charge more nowadays, but if anything I would think the extra $ would be small. I don't think the ride when empty will be appreciably different. I would almost suggest to go for the F350 even if you aren't right up against the weight limit of the F250.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Something else to toss out into the mix....

Generally a 1-ton will have a higher payload capacity (due to tires).

But since you are adding two two more wheels, two more tires, thicker spring pack, you are adding a good deal of weight. This factors into the GCWR equation.

With that said, take two trucks that are identical (other than one being 3/4ton and 1-ton) and the 3/4 ton will actually have a higher TOW capacity.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Something else to toss out into the mix....

Generally a 1-ton will have a higher payload capacity (due to tires).

But since you are adding two two more wheels, two more tires, thicker spring pack, you are adding a good deal of weight. This factors into the GCWR equation.

With that said, take two trucks that are identical (other than one being 3/4ton and 1-ton) and the 3/4 ton will actually have a higher TOW capacity.

True enough when comparing a SRW 3/4 ton vs. a DRW 1 ton, but not so much extra weight for a SRW 1 ton. Bottom line is with the multitude of configurations available from the domestic truck manufacturers you need to carefully check the specs for the configurations you are considering.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Very true.

Which is why many people have suggested just running with the 3/4 ton. If you are looking for a SRW, there really is no benefit with new trucks to go with a 1-ton.

mikemcgl

F350 and AF 860

Purchased 2012 F350 SRW Desiel 4x4 short bed:GVWT 11,500, max payload 4,000, 7k rear axel, 6k front. Tires 3,650 each.
I will be heading to the bay area on Tue to pick up a 2006 Arctic Fox 860.
I should be within the limits if I pack right and wait till I get close to my camp site to fill the water and top off the tanks.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I learned a lot and it added prospective to my decision. I almost purchased a pop up but there is such a huge difference that I had to give the AF a shot. I figure I paid $14,500 for a super clean rig so I should be able to break even if I don't feel comfortable traveling with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven