Ford Escape e/x Build

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I dig you build so far.

XC, Thanks man. It's been a great rig. It's an honor to have you join the thread on your first post.

A few years back I was really close to doing the same with an Escape.

It's good to see your heart's in the right place

Welcome to Expedition Portal

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
That's the best thing about having a good rig. You get to see, and go places others never get to experience. looks like fun!

OuterLimits

That's the best thing about having a good rig. You get to see, and go places others never get to experience. looks like fun!

I made a return trip to Pismo that couldn't have been more different. Still fun, but very different experience. I'll post that up down the road a bit.

Cheers

Last edited:

jimmypop

great different build !! anything boke during your trips ? im following your thread

anyway cheer from Canada :)

OuterLimits

great different build !! anything boke during your trips ?

JP, No breakage on any outing. That said, I'm also old enough to resist youthful urges for off-road hoonery (most of the time). The suspension was getting a bit long in the tooth from bouncing around in the dirt, (especially the stabilizer end links). I hope to have the suspension sorted out and the re-do posted later in the week.

On my second trip to Oceano Dunes, I'm a bit surprised I didn't seriously break something in the front end. There was some minor bending of metal, but everything is still functional. I'll be posting up that trip a little later in the ride.

im following your thread, anyway cheer from Canada :)

It's no longer a thread, it's a ride, and I'm pleased to have you join us.

Cheers from the states

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Expo Eye Candy!!!

While you patiently wait for the suspension upgrade, I thought I'd serve up a little appetizer to stave off your pangs.

These are some old pics I dug up of my previous ride. It was a pretty much stock FJ60, with the addition of fogs, comm gear/antenna, and roof rack.

She was a solid beast, that slurped petrol like a sailor. The "Cruiser" was a family favorite and never let us down.

e1010782.jpg

e1010783.jpg
Warming cocoa and apple cider for the Cub Scouts return from their first snow hike.

e_0025_2.jpg
The "cruiser" chillin' out!

e1020161.jpg
Locked and loaded.

e1020169.jpg
Sun Lakes, WA

e1010630.jpg
Bridge to Copper City mine, Mt Rainier.

e1010621.jpg
Soda Springs campground, Mt Rainier.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Love it. there are a couple of diesels around here....I want one bad....there was also one with barn doors in the back and dual square headlights....it was cool too!

OuterLimits

Love it. there are a couple of diesels around here....I want one bad....there was also one with barn doors in the back and dual square headlights....it was cool too!

An FJ60 with barn doors and round headlights is my kinda sexy!
Mmm.jpg
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Last edited:

OuterLimits

still very much love this build.....

Raul, Thanks for the compliment. Glad to have you chime in on the build.

The Escape will never be as ************ as your F150, but it's shaping up as a competent DD/adventure vehicle.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Back in the day, it took me almost a year to secure an affordable FJ60. The dealer prices in the Seattle market were absurd and ridiculous. Finding one from a private party was nearly impossible. This was pre-interweb days so, Saturday morning I would pick up both Seattle newspapers to see the latest used car listings.

I would call the phone numbers for all the used FJ60s listed. Sold. Sold. Sold. WTH? Many were selling on Friday. WTH? The new listings don't post till Saturday morning. WTH?

I talked to a Toyota dealer and he informed me that Canadians would come down en-masse, with cash, and pay full price for any petrol Landcruiser. My guess is an auto broker was slipping some Loonies to a newspaper employee, to get the scoop on newly listed Landcruisers, before they showed up in the paper.

I can't compete with that. I put the word out to my friends to keep their eye out for an FJ60. I got a call one evening from a friend about an FJ60 in the Little Nickel (seems the Canucks don't get the Seattle Little Nickel). I called the owner, got the address and went straight over. First in line!!! I took it for a test drive and said "I'll take it!!!" No dickering. I wanted it. I'll take it! Cash in hand!

Well, the owner just stood there and stammered. He didn't want to sell it. WTH? He went back in the house, with his wife giving him some major stink eye.
I went home dejected. A year of looking and it seems they were all just out of reach.

A week later I get a call from the seller's wife. She said "come on over and pick it up". Woo-Hoo!!! Seems the seller was being transferred with Boeing from Seattle to the Midwest. The wife would drive her car, but the husband had a pickup truck and the FJ60. She told him to post them both in the paper. The first to sell is gone, the other rig he got to keep and drive to the Midwest.

This guy was clever. He wanted to keep the Landcruiser. He put the pickup truck in the Seattle paper at low blue book (easy sell). He thought he could hide the FJ60 in the Little Nickel and mark it at high book. A regular Montgomery Burns!
excellent.jpg

As fate would have it, his truck listing in the Seattle Paper didn't publish, and I have friends that read the Little Nickel. His "high book" price was a genuine bargain in the Seattle market. Turns out this schmuck was really Ralph Wiggum!

ralph.jpeg

I find it ironic, the clamoring for diesel Landcruisers here by U.S. overlanders. It is a holy grail rig. Yet the Canadians are invading our Northern border in search of petrol Landcruisers.

I say we need a new U.S./Canadian trade agreement. They send us all their diesels, and we ship them our gas guzzlers!

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Seems the seller was being transferred with Boeing from Seattle to the Midwest. …

Wichita (most likely). I got to escape Wichita for 6 weeks to Seattle during the summer of 2005. I worked for Boeing in Wichita and they rotated us up 2 weeks at a time. Real estate prices were retarded, traffic sucked, but I liked it other than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online