Ford Excursion ??

snoxxy

Hey guys,

I am Deployed in Iraq right now, and when i have time I look at trucks to build up for overland use :) I have a ext cab 96 Tacoma, and love it, but the lady friend has 2 kids, and she wants to start including them on the camping trip and such you know. so I started looking at more doors/more seats.. naturally I looked into diesel options and the excursion has the powerstroke. Now why do I rarely see one off roading? they are no bigger then a 3500 or a f350 double cab. and those I see screwing around off road all the time.
Is it because of leaf springs all around?

Just wondering

Thanks in advance

Phil

boblynch

Adventurer
A low mileage '00-'03 Excursion with the 7.3L diesel would make an excellent starting point for an overland rig for 4. Search the forum for older discussions on this topic.

Most folks that offroad want something smaller and many folks that want something bigger already own a truck. If you're starting from the beginning th Excursion is a good choice. A full size van would also be an option. I'd also research Quigley 4x4 conversions or a used Sportsmobile as they offer more storage in the same footprint. If your travels are going to be mostly unimproved roads (vs. offroad) a 2WD with mild lift, good tires, and a winch will get you far. Happy trails.

snoxxy

Yeah, I like them a lot. I would opt for the diesel 4x4. But here is something... I am sure they don't flex very well if at all with the factory suspension. I saw that fabtech makes a front 4 link conversion for 6500$ which is a little on the pricier edge. I am not a big fan of lifting a vehicle 16 inches ... I like as little lift as possible with the biggest gains in tire size and functionality.

akfj40

Observer
go 4 in lift and cut out fender flares in you want to run big rubber. and the 16 in you refer to in fabtech lift is in reference to suspension travel. i had 6 in on my superduty it didnt flex very good, take the sway bars off= problem solved.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I think an Excursion would be fine for your rig. You gotta check out the one here on the site - it is really well done. Click me!

Oh, and more importantly, a very sincere thanks for your service. :ylsmoke:

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Thanks to you and all of the soldiers over in Iraq and elsewhere. If I where going for a family style of vehicle for offroad expedition style; I'm thinking more and more about the Sportsmobile. Camping ability is very good, off-road capable and if you need more room, tow a trailer/RTT combo. Of course that will cost a bit. Just my 2 cents.

Pete Wilson

snoxxy

Hey no problem, just moving peple and cargo around over here. And thanks for that link, I saw that last night when I was browsing around.

I think an Excursion would be fine for your rig. You gotta check out the one here on the site - it is really well done. Click me!

Oh, and more importantly, a very sincere thanks for your service. :ylsmoke:

JRH_PowerWagon_06

Definitely go for the Diesel if you are going to get an Excursion.
2003-2005 6L turbodiesel is the only one with enough power to get out of its own way, especially if you want taller tires. These things have a curb weight over 7,000lbs stock. Add expedition gear, and you are talking serious heavy metal.

I was looking at the Excursion in 2006. Could not find a Diesel since they were selling out all of their 2005 inventory fast and cheap, since this was the last year it was produced, and fuel costs were sky high.

Glad I didn't find one. I <3 my Power Wagon!

BBsound

Adventurer
Definitely go for the Diesel if you are going to get an Excursion.
2003-2005 6L turbodiesel is the only one with enough power to get out of its own way, especially if you want taller tires. These things have a curb weight over 7,000lbs stock. Add expedition gear, and you are talking serious heavy metal.

I was looking at the Excursion in 2006. Could not find a Diesel since they were selling out all of their 2005 inventory fast and cheap, since this was the last year it was produced, and fuel costs were sky high.

Glad I didn't find one. I <3 my Power Wagon!
huh? what about the 7.3?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The 7.3L gets around fine with intake, exhaust and tuner. Big tires means re-gearing no matter what.
Fabtech offers the 4-link system with coil-overs in 6" or 8" lift. I don't know the cost, but if I were doing the same thing I would be looking at their 6" kit, run fiberglass fenders and stuff some big tires under there. The truck should flex alright with most suspensions as long as you disconnect the sway bars.

Edit: Just saw the price for that kit, wow!
Time to research lift kits with new leafs up front maybe.

bftank

Explorer
i had an '03 f350 crewcab long box with the 7.3l and the 6 speed. weighed 8000 pounds, had a 2" leveling kit and 35" bfg a/t. averaged 16-17 mpg uncorrected, with 3.73 gears and an evolution programmer. i miss that truck. climbed hills, was flexible enough to do some decent fourwheeling with out lockers and extremely comfortable, best riding one ton i've ever been in. plenty of power with just the proggrammer. not a hotrodder or tractor but would get there with a heavy load, hauled many 20,000 pound loads with that set up. that being said here are my thoughts

-suspension-
1)excursions are awesome to but the rear springs are a funky w shape if i recollect but can be replaced with f250 springs to fix the axle wrap problems of the w springs.
2)2-1/2" leveling kit for 35"s or donahoe racing stuff for higher. both ride very comfortably, (i'd do the leveling kit)

-drivetrain-
1)7.3l i had was very low maintenence just oil changes and fuel filter changes, from the power stroke forums there have been a lot of guys having problems with the early 6.0l, '03-'04 but there are fixes if you get one for the right price. the '02-'03 7.3l had powdered connecting rods that won't handle much more than 350hp. my suggestion would be the '99-'01 model.
2)transmission wise i would swap out the auto for the 6 speed manual due to simplicity and toughness, plus it shifts nicely and has the perfect gear pattern, reverse on top of low. if you kept the auto get a deep tranny pan with magnetic and temp sensor, and a shift kit of some sort

-power-
1)powerwise very simple
a)guages-fuel pressure, pyro, boost, tranny temp (especially if you kept the auto)
b)exhaust-cheap 4" aluminized
c)programmers look at dptuner or sct both very good
d)big honking air filter with covering

-tires-
i'd stick with 35" tires on a 16" staxworks bead lock. lots of places have 35"s stocked, (i like the new goodyear mtr)

-bumpers-
light but strong enough to take on an elk with winches front and rear and good lighting

-rocksliders-
1/4" thick to keep her pretty with amp research steps mounted underneath

-axles-
a)the early excursions had the dana 50 in the front essentially a dana 44 stuffed in a dana 60 housing, i would replace the dana 50 if it broke with an actual 60 and ditch the unit bearings for dynatrac units better mpg.
b) arb locker in the front and detroit in the back
c) gear wise i would use the 3.55 gears for better mileage, 3.73 and 4.10 were both popular choice for ford

on board air, waste veggie oil tank, and i think that's about it

apologies for the long post hope it is helpful

bftank

Explorer
and if that still isn't enough room for all your stuff i'd build an expo trailer out of matching pickup bed, same tires, same axle, :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk